Lindsey

tazered in the trauma room

Tonight I saw a guy get tazered. He was brought in as a gsw, but he hadn't been shot... Was good and drunk though. I had walked out of the room to grab my stethoscope, and when I got back to the room, the patient was being restrained by the police. Apparently he had made some sexual comment or gesture to the nurse, and the officer became involved at that point. They told him to stop fighting, and as they rolled him over (he was still struggling, but that's about all), one of the officers tazered him. They handcuffed him and took him to jail, with my blessing. WOW!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Tolerance is based up rank & status not the perceived offense.

That said. My wife is a nurse and they should not have to put up with shite behaviour from their 'clients'...... but then again NoOne should

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

For making a comment???!!! Damn, talk about 0 tolerance.

They restrained him, I think, for making the comment. He was tazered because they were putting handcuffs on him or something...lol. Seemed pretty arbitrary to me. Unfortunately, it was one of my favorite cops who did it. Changed my opinion of him a bit. BUT, this is a rough little town. More than enough shootings, stabbings, beatings...that sort of thing. When the ambulance is bringing someone in after that type of incident, there's always the *enemies* driving up and down the road in front of the hospital...or parked across the street. There's nothing keeping them out of where we are except the police. I'm ALWAYS glad to have them around. And even though my thoughts about the use of tazers are completely opposed to how they were used in the trauma room last night (with my patient), it's something that I'd never question him about. Maybe I'm a pussy.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I'm the only one who gets to use the paddles...

Saw ambulance attendants use a smaller portable version of that on some old fat guy who had a heart attack. Very disapointed seeing it in real life since on TV the damn thing practically makes the people fly off the table whereas when I saw it the thing only seemed to make this guy twitch. Oh yeah...it didn't save the guy like it always does on tv.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Tolerance is based up rank & status not the perceived offense.

That said. My wife is a nurse and they should not have to put up with shite behaviour from their 'clients'...... but then again NoOne should

Having worked in A&E for ten years I couldn't agree more.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm the only one who gets to use the paddles...

Saw ambulance attendants use a smaller portable version of that on some old fat guy who had a heart attack. Very disapointed seeing it in real life since on TV the damn thing practically makes the people fly off the table whereas when I saw it the thing only seemed to make this guy twitch. Oh yeah...it didn't save the guy like it always does on tv.

And on TV they'll always shock asystole (the flatline), no can do in real life...

Elvisio "Peter Grifffin, Certified CPR, I need to check if you've soiled yourself, sir" Rodriguez

And on TV they'll always shock asystole (the flatline), no can do in real life...

HA! Well, I guess you *can* shock 'em if you're really needin' to take out your aggression on someone. Why not take it out on someone in asystole? Watch 'em jump.
--

well it sounds harsh,..... but bad neighborhood, drunk, belligerant, and fighting against the cops might could see it comming they do need to keep the people saving and working on people safe
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Cell phones can cause equipmnent problems in the ER, but a 25000 volt electrical discharge is OK?

The charge from the taser is dissipated by the body - cell phones are not and can cause problems with telemetry equipment.

That said, it seems like they should be able to build equipment that is NOT affected by cell phones.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

They do Mike.

There are quite a few M.D.s and Nurses that use them in ICU.

If they did worry about the interference they would not do so.

The equipment they now use is protected from RFI.

It only makes sense to protect the equipment as there are a great many devices, and sources of RFI as you already know.

When I was in the ER with my Mom, all my brothers and sisters were wanting updates on her situation.

I stepped outside the room, and used my cellphone.

I was warned by a police officer passing through to "Get off that damned phone NOW!"

I did not, and he had no authority to tell me to do so.

The ER staff were all left wondering WTF his problem was.

I guess the cop felt his "AUTHORITAY" extended to the hospital grounds, the ER and the use of communications devices.

When he came back through I asked him if he had a degree or a was a P.E.

He said I don't need a degree to arrest you for failing to follow a lawful order from a LEO.

What a fucktard he was, 50+ yr old patrolman, and a patrolman he will stay.

I mentioned this to one of his superiors who is a close friend of mine, he said that guy was about a step away from the rubber gun squad.

He should have fucking tased you.;)

But you are right - they have no jurisdiction over rf transmissions, except maybe radar detector stuff in some states.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.