jakee

Italy: Court orders couple to name child after saint.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071218/tod-uk-italy-name-b7e5c6f_1.html

Friday/Gregory Germano was born in Genoa 15 months ago. The parents registered him as Friday in the city hall and a priest even baptised him as Friday -- unusual in Italy since many priests insist that first names be of Christian origin.

"We named him Friday because we like the sound of the name. Even if it would have been a girl, we would have named her Friday," the boy's mother, Mara Germano, told Reuters.

When the boy was about five months old, a city hall clerk brought the odd name to the attention of a tribunal, which informed the couple of an administrative norm which bars parents from giving "ridiculous or shameful" first names to children.

The tribunal said it was protecting the child from being the butt of jokes and added that it believed the name would hinder him from developing "serene interpersonal relationships".

The Germano family appealed but lost their case this month and the story was carried on the front page of a national newspaper on Tuesday.

When ordered to change the name, the parents refused and the court ruled the boy would be legally registered as Gregory because he was born on that saint's feast day.

"I really doubt this would have happened to the child of parents who are rich and famous," the boy's mother told Reuters, recalling that some famous Italians had given their children unorthodox names such as "Ocean" or "Chanel".

The appeals court ruled against Friday because it recalled the servile savage in Daniel Defoe's novel Robinson Crusoe and because superstitious Italians consider Friday an unlucky day.

How incredibly wierd!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Huh?

Good Friday on which the Catholic Church commemorates the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?

Ohhhhh... me thinks you didn't see [Good] before "Friday" in the first post and jumped to just Friday; in which case you were thinking of the origin for the word "Friday."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071218/tod-uk-italy-name-b7e5c6f_1.html

Friday/Gregory Germano was born in Genoa 15 months ago. The parents registered him as Friday in the city hall and a priest even baptised him as Friday -- unusual in Italy since many priests insist that first names be of Christian origin.

"We named him Friday because we like the sound of the name. Even if it would have been a girl, we would have named her Friday," the boy's mother, Mara Germano, told Reuters.

When the boy was about five months old, a city hall clerk brought the odd name to the attention of a tribunal, which informed the couple of an administrative norm which bars parents from giving "ridiculous or shameful" first names to children.

The tribunal said it was protecting the child from being the butt of jokes and added that it believed the name would hinder him from developing "serene interpersonal relationships".

The Germano family appealed but lost their case this month and the story was carried on the front page of a national newspaper on Tuesday.

When ordered to change the name, the parents refused and the court ruled the boy would be legally registered as Gregory because he was born on that saint's feast day.

"I really doubt this would have happened to the child of parents who are rich and famous," the boy's mother told Reuters, recalling that some famous Italians had given their children unorthodox names such as "Ocean" or "Chanel".

The appeals court ruled against Friday because it recalled the servile savage in Daniel Defoe's novel Robinson Crusoe and because superstitious Italians consider Friday an unlucky day.

How incredibly wierd!

I think it is just. Or do you want to run around with names like "Friday" or "Monday".. Crazy parents is all I can say. Atleast one person (the clerk) was thinking about the child. Everybody else here seems to think parents can mess around with their child as much as they want....

Edit: Oh and it is NOT another religious hijack. If you read it properly, it says that they asked the parents to CHANGE the name. And they refused, so they gave the kid a name that is at least partially related (day of birth) instead of leaving it nameless.
If the parents don´t like the name Gregory the should have just choosen ANY other name (there are enough to choose from.... believe me).
This has no religious reason behind it whatsoever...

How crazy of parents to name their kids after the days or the weeks , or months of the year (June, April) jeeeeze they should all be locked up and have their kids taken from them and given proper godly names:S

The parents gave the kid a name of their choosing. No one else has a right to change that or impose another. The parents should have just kept on telling them to F*ck Right Off.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Parents should be able to name their kids. And if the names are stupid, well too bad. Parents should also be responsible for their kids. There is no "village" that takes priorities over parents' freedoms.

Once the kid achieve adulthood, he then is responsible for himself and certainly can legally change his name at that time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think it is just. Or do you want to run around with names like "Friday" or "Monday".. Crazy parents is all I can say. Atleast one person (the clerk) was thinking about the child. Everybody else here seems to think parents can mess around with their child as much as they want....

Are you a communist?

Anyway, firstly; "I really doubt this would have happened to the child of parents who are rich and famous," the boy's mother told Reuters, recalling that some famous Italians had given their children unorthodox names such as "Ocean" or "Chanel".

Secondly, what's so bad about Friday? Doesn't sound a million miles away from Fredo from where I'm sitting. What trauma or anguish could possibly come upon a child named Friday that wouldn't come upon a child with any out of fashion orthodox name?

Would you ban parents from calling their daughter Doris? It's a solid, traditional name.

Or Woodrow - named after a street of wooden houses

I vote that all boys should be called Seymour. There is no possible joke that can be made of that name. Ahem.

Anyway, in the interests of gaining a little perspective, I think that everyone should look at this website. Totally true and completely hilarious:D

So if I name my kid warthog or jackass that would be ok? What a joke.... >:(

What about Friday? Would you rather be called Friday or Bernard? Or Dunstable? Or Wayne?

Oh and btw I am as far away from communism as you can get :D

You seem to think the Government should regulate peoples lives to an enormous degree. Maybe totalitarian would have been a better choice of words.

Remind me again... ummm what Year is it?

F*ck wits:S

And here come the British, always highly respectful of other people's cultures and customs (not to mention bodies of law).

Why should I be tolerant of stupidity?

Remind me again... ummm what Year is it?

F*ck wits:S

And here come the British, always highly respectful of other people's cultures and customs (not to mention bodies of law).

Why should I be tolerant of stupidity?

Forgive me, oh mighty judge of all that lies under the sun. [:/]

Vale

Forgive me, oh mighty judge of all that lies under the sun.

OK, then justify the court's actions. Tell me why it is not stupid to legally force someone to not call their child Friday.

On a more general note, why should I not call stupidity where I see it?

OK, then justify the court's actions.

They made a judgement based on current law? I thought that was what courts where supposed to do?

Tell me why it is not stupid to legally force someone to not call their child Friday.

Why don't you tell me why it is stupid, instead?

On a more general note, why should I not call stupidity where I see it?

It's called respect towards other peoples, something you obviously lack.
Have a nice day.

Vale