lawrocket

Another U.S. Shooting - This time in the Hood

I see this news about 3 people dead in shooting at _______. Four people dead in shooting at _______.

And every day, dozens of people are shot and killed every day in the inner cities, and even suburbs. Through July 30, 2007 - 32 people had been murdered just in Fresno.

In Boyz in the Hood, Dougboy was complaining about television news coverage after his brother Rick died. "Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's goin' on in the hood. They had all this foreign shit. They didn't have shit on my brother, man."

It it that people don't know?
Is it that people don't show?
Or is it that people just don't care?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Or is it that people just don't care?

You get desensitized to it. I used to work in NYC; there were around 400 murders there a year. They were duly reported by the newspapers. But "another drug dealer was found dead in Queens" doesn't make the front pages when he's the 9th drug dealer found dead in Queens that month.

In Boyz in the Hood, Dougboy was complaining about television news coverage after his brother Rick died. "Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's goin' on in the hood. They had all this foreign shit. They didn't have shit on my brother, man."

It's not true, however, or not any more. We hear about every shooting in Oakland, SF, Richmond, and usually it leads the 10 o'clock news.

But with the size of LA, I can imagine quite a few don't get reported.

I see this news about 3 people dead in shooting at _______. Four people dead in shooting at _______.

And every day, dozens of people are shot and killed every day in the inner cities, and even suburbs.

Yep, one at a time murders are good only for local news. And for the bigger cities, there has to be something unusual about it to get that. These are so routine that they're no longer considered "news". Only the multiple killings are rare enough to rate national news coverage.

Or is it that people just don't care?

It's that people are tired of hearing about, already know people kill each other all the time in the "hood" and that someone probably died today in the hood in a shooting, some gangster wannabe is already planning a murder at any given time and it's just not news that anyone wants to report on anymore. These things happen in the "hood" so often that it's old, boring news.

Can you blame people for just not caring anymore? Not really. At least when it's just another hoodlum or guy that thinks he is a gangster out there getting shot for playing a game he knew that he would lose by the time he was 25. The innocent people they end up killing - that is sad. The rest is just a matter of "You asked for it".
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

These things happen in the "hood" so often that it's old, boring news

I wonder if people would be so complacent if these things happened as frequently on OUR side of the tracks.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

"It bears repeating that the Chicago Police Department has determined that 88% of murderers have previous criminal records as do 76% of murder victims. Federally-licensed firearm dealers are not the problem - career criminals are."

Hmmmm. So if around 60% of death by gunshot are suicides, and of the remaining 40% (which are murders) 88% are by criminals, then lets see: a total gun ban would reduce gunshot deaths by possibly 5% (assuming criminals & suicides don't care about the law).

Except that possibly MORE innocent people would die who couldn't defend themselves with a gun.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

"Inner city youth killed by rival gang member" is about as interesting as "Obese man dies of heart attack". Most of us frequent malls and churches with some reasonable expectations about our safety there. When people are shot in such settings, it's newsworthy because it can affect our perceptions regarding our personal safety. Many of us shy away from the seedier parts of town because we know we wouldn't be particularly safe there. Shootings there aren't newsworthy because they don't affect our perceptions. Although the "what bleeds, leads" thing about our media is mostly true, if Harlem or Watts went a couple months without a single shooting, I bet it'd be reported in the news.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

"It bears repeating that the Chicago Police Department has determined that 88% of murderers have previous criminal records as do 76% of murder victims. Federally-licensed firearm dealers are not the problem - career criminals are."

Hmmmm. So if around 60% of death by gunshot are suicides, and of the remaining 40% (which are murders) 88% are by criminals, then lets see: a total gun ban would reduce gunshot deaths by possibly 5% (assuming criminals & suicides don't care about the law).

Except that possibly MORE innocent people would die who couldn't defend themselves with a gun.

Well, we COULD get serious about trying to keep guns out of the hands of criminals instead of just whining "criminals will always get guns".

Of course criminals will always get guns when 300,000+ "law abiding gun owners" are so careless with their weapons that criminals steal them each year.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And every day, dozens of people are shot and killed every day in the inner cities, and even suburbs. Through July 30, 2007 - 32 people had been murdered just in Fresno.

Funny thing is, in some of those "bad" neighbourhoods where gun homocides are very frequent, (illegal) gun ownership is high as well.

I thought more guns was supposed to mean lower gun crime?

These things happen in the "hood" so often that it's old, boring news

I wonder if people would be so complacent if these things happened as frequently on OUR side of the tracks.

That is just it though. On our side of the tracks these things are very rare for a reason, not because we just made up our minds to not kill people very often; but because we don't engage in the behaviors that lead to killing. We do not have a 60% high school drop out rate for males, we do not have pimps and whores on our street corners, we do not have 50% of the female population pregnant (without being married) by the time they are 16. We do not have the murderous crime rate that goes with those things.

If we had and accepted all those things, we'd also have and accept the murder that goes with them. I think to have any hope of reversing the trend, or changing the behavior; you need to dig into some very fundamental beliefs about what people value and why.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

That was very silly, and I demand you stop it at once.

Those responsible will be sacked.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Funny thing is, in some of those "bad" neighbourhoods where gun homocides are very frequent, (illegal) gun ownership is high as well.

More *LEGAL* gun ownership is thought to have a effect on crime. This is somewhat supported by a study done in the mid-80's that interviewed 1800 prisoners in 10 states. A fair percentage of them stated that they avoided persons/places where people were armed.

Crime at gun stores / gun ranges seems to be vanishingly rare, for some strange reason.... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That was very silly, and I demand you stop it at once.

Those responsible will be sacked.

and their mooses will be moosed

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hmmm....illegal gun ownership..how about illegal gun possession...more gun crime...who'dathunkit?:S Aren't you starting with 100% in both categories?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Top dogg by the mall nigga burn that shit up, DPGC my nigga turn that shit up, CPTLBC yeah we hookin back up, and when they bang us in the club baby you gotta get up, thug nigga's, drug dealas, yeah they givin it up low life yo life boi we livin it up, takin chances while we dancing in the party fo show, i slipped my hoe a 44 when she got in the back door, bitches lookin at me strange but you know i dont care, step up in this motha fucka just a swing in my hair, bitch quit talkin quit walkin get down with the set, take a bullet with some dick, take a smoke on this jam, out of town put it down for the fatha of rap, and if your ass get crack bitch shut your trap.

Not many people, myself included are going to care much about what happens to the people in these lyrics. Shooting and drug dealing has become vogue. It's like my teenage daughter who wants to wear Abercrombie and Aeropostale. It's fashion.

It needs to be changed from within and there's fat chance that Al and Jessie really want to do that. LBJ started alot of this with his "Great Society" BS.

Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

More *LEGAL* gun ownership is thought to have a effect on crime. This is somewhat supported by a study done in the mid-80's that interviewed 1800 prisoners in 10 states. A fair percentage of them stated that they avoided persons/places where people were armed.

Right, but the thought process remains the same. Supposedly if you think that some one is armed, you are going to think twice to commit a crime. In these bad neighbourhoods many are supposedly armed, so shouldn't crime (other than the crime of possessing the gun) be lower too?

Right, but the thought process remains the same. Supposedly if you think that some one is armed, you are going to think twice to commit a crime. In these bad neighbourhoods many are supposedly armed, so shouldn't crime (other than the crime of possessing the gun) be lower too?

I think cultural issues are driving a lot of that, as seen in posts above.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706