quade

Lions for Lambs

Is this the film where Tom Cruise dresses up lika a gladiator and wrestles with other boys for "top" privileges?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Is this the film where Tom Cruise dresses up lika a gladiator and wrestles with other boys for "top" privileges?

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to start an intelligent conversation here.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah. I'm sure the soldiers in the Ground Truth weren't vetted to provide an intended message.

Probably REMFs angry at the man. Michael Moore probably scripted the questions.

I have a feeling you know nothing about the movie.
quade -

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to start an intelligent conversation here.

You have a good point. It just happens so much with other intelligent posts, that I got used to it. Sorry.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yeah. I'm sure the soldiers in the Ground Truth weren't vetted to provide an intended message.

Probably REMFs angry at the man. Michael Moore probably scripted the questions.

Did you just trash a movie that you have not seen less than one minute after finding out it existed? You did didn't you?
Why don't you watch both of them and then tell us what you think.

"He is not a friend of those in my business. Period."---------------------------------------------------------------------Why. You work for Blackwater?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

"He is not a friend of those in my business. Period."---------------------------------------------------------------------Why. You work for Blackwater?

Yeah, Blackwater. :|

Brilliant.

My hope for intellectual equivalence in this dialog just went "poof." I'm out.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Why don't you go to Baghdad with me and tell me what you think.

You take the production of someone with a particular agenda as the truth.

Talk about sheep....sorry, lambs.

Actually I was going to go. Had a job w/ KBR all lined up. Til I did some research.:P Ain't going get killed over fuckin oil.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Why don't you go to Baghdad with me and tell me what you think.

You take the production of someone with a particular agenda as the truth.

Talk about sheep....sorry, lambs.

I have no intention to go to Baghdad. I also have no intention to take for truth a message I have not yet examined.

. . . but thanks for the condescention.

Ah the perfect internet comeback. Whenever somebody points something out or attempts to clairify an issue, be certain to call them condescending. Works wonders at moving the conversation forward!

Just like your insulting reply to John Rich once, and the wager that ensued, you never got a NRZ memebership after losing.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Saw these reviews and decided to wait till it goes to video. . .

"a more appropriate title for Lions for Lambs" could be lamenting for liberals"

"rather than reasoned thought and debate, the only thing this movie inspires is exasperation"

"Robert Redford's smug, self-satisfied liberal weltschmerz anthem."

"Robert Redford (who also directed), Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep might just as well have appeared on-screen for a couple of minutes with signs that said. 'War Is Bad', and been done with it. Saves everyone the cost of a ticket."

"if there was ever a film that not only preached to the choir but threatened to put it to sleep, this is it."

It dangerously sounds of Hollywood pretention. I'll wait for the video, which may come out sooner than later.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

So you would never consider the people behind the movie in your decision to finance it?

I try to judge the work, not the (sometimes mythical) history of the person that made it.

So your answer is: if you perceive a work to be of merit, you'll pay to see it, regardless of the asshole behind it?

It's a legitimate stance to take, but not my choice. In an extreme case, there is always the option of paying for a different movie but then going into this one. I'm most likely to wait for dvd rentals or HBO to see such movies.

I walked out of the movie torn really. There were a whole lot of different story lines within the movie and I didnt really know what I thought of it after the movie was over. One thing is for sure though, they definitely made soldiers out to be good, honorable people.

I guess it's kind of a bad day to think about the movie since earlier today I found out that friend of mine died in Afghanistan in an ambush that was pretty deadly. I don't know what to think of the Congressman's strategy and how well that it would work in real life or how the reporter reacted to it. One statement he told her that rung true was about the media's portrayal of the war.....

Overall the movie showed a lot of new things (as far as Hollywood goes) about this war. It's the only one I've seen that linked soldiers' experiences to underachievers in college. I think Marg's post later on in this thread discussed that pretty well too though.
If "if" were a fifth, then we'd all be drunk

One of the beauties of our freedoms is that we have a choice to see or not see any film we want for whatever reason we choose.

Actors and directors get a reputation due to their own actions. If I don't like their reputation, I have the choice to not support their career.

So your answer is: if you perceive a work to be of merit, you'll pay to see it, regardless of the asshole behind it?

I've seen movies produced by Hitler as propaganda in my attempt to understand WWII. I doubt you'll find an asshole much bigger than him. So, yeah, regardless of who is responsible for the movie, yeah, I'll watch it if I think it will help me understand something.
quade -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen movies produced by Hitler as propaganda in my attempt to understand WWII. I doubt you'll find an asshole much bigger than him. So, yeah, regardless of who is responsible for the movie, yeah, I'll watch it if I think it will help me understand something.

Your answer makes a lot of sense. I am glad though that Hitler is not profiting from his propaganda films.:)

I didn't ask if you'd watch it. I'd asked if you would pay to see it. (In that particular case, in the 1930s)

Do you also boycott any movie with Forest Wittaker or John Travolta?

wierd response -

I'll see a movie if I think it'll "entertain" me. I really don't find any movie thoughtful, especially when Hollywood TRIES to be thoughtful. So this one I'll likely take a pass on.

I'll see a movie is the actor is any good at ACTING. I don't care about his private life unless it compels him to only star in preachy movies. But then I avoid those because of the movie, not the actor.

Tom Cruise - He's evolved into a pretty good actor. Though it's hard to get past the crap acting he did as when he started.

Forrest Whittaker - very good actor

John Travolta - sucks, always has, still does, I hope he improves, it's disappointing to go see a good script ruined by poor acting.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I walked out of the movie torn really. There were a whole lot of different story lines within the movie and I didnt really know what I thought of it after the movie was over.

Overall the movie showed a lot of new things (as far as Hollywood goes) about this war.

Thanks for the review. It sounds like regardless of where one proverbially situates oneself politically, there is something in the movie to make one think - whether it re-inforces and strengthens the world view you brought with you on the way in or slightly perturbed its to the left, right, or off the usual spectrum,:)
VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying