pop

Question to concealed gun holders

and yet from another perspective:
we now have a pair of hardened and now more emboldened criminals on the street that again think we are easy prey because we are either unable or unwilling to protect ourselves.
their behavior is sure to escalate
:S

My brother was carjacked at gun point. My brother had a gun on him, which he chose not to pull out. And I am so thankful that he didn’t, because only god knows how badly that could have escalated the situation that was simply solved by giving up the car. My brother was armed, but he chose not to pull out the gun to not create a situation where bullets might go flying. You see what I am saying?

I'm confused, isn't your argument that, since the gun is present, that your brother should have started randomly shooting in all directions? But he didn't........WTF?

I'm sure that owning the gun, he went purposely looking for a carjacker......

Does he use the gun to kill cans and paper?

I suspect he must also shoot the gun at the car in order to turn off the car. That, and house lights. (guns are so handy for use as a remote control)

Are you scared to be around him? He might just shoot you for no reason.

Stop blabbering...read again. My argument was that had he pulled out the gun it would have escalated the situation which could have ended in death. This was avoided by using brains, giving up the car and walking away alive.

You should stop your blabbering because you are contradicting yourself. You have statred in the past that when people carry guns it will escalate into a Wild West Shootout. Your example shows that did not happen. Most people who carry concealed do it smartly.

I have stated that pulling out a gun in a situation can escalte it. It's a little harder to escalte a situation when you dont have a gun in the first place.

And yes, when you dont have a gun, you tend to have to use your brain to deal with whatever your threat is. Just because someone is certified to carry a gun doesnt mean they wont go trigger happy, and get themselves killed in the process.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Stop blabbering...read again. My argument was that had he pulled out the gun it would have escalated the situation which could have ended in death. This was avoided by using brains, giving up the car and walking away alive.

And you need to recognize that there are times when you MUST defend yourself or you probably won't walk away alive. I've been there. Have you?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the reason you guys carry concealed weapons is in case you might need to protect yourself. When you leave your house and you strap on your gun, do you also put on a bullet proof vest, you know just in case you might need to protect yourself?

Your question implies an assumption that CCW holder only carry weapons because they fear being attacked. There3 are many reasons for CCW holders to carry weapons. Some weapons just because they can. Some as persol homage to America and it's freedoms. Some carry because they like the warm cuddly feel of guns. Quite a few carry weapons because it provides psychological compensation for their sexual inadequacies (that's why I do it).

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I used to go hiking alone in fairly remote areas, and that's about the only time I'd carry. There are rabid animals in our neck of the woods and they have been occasionally known to go after hikers.

I don't carry any more, only because I don't hike much any more. But I still enjoy shooting. It's fun to go blast a few holes in a target, great stress breaker.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

And you need to recognize that there are times when you MUST defend yourself or you probably won't walk away alive. I've been there. Have you?

About ten years ago I was at a high school party which went all wrong, and I ended up staring at the barrel of a loaded gun. Definitely a scary moment. Immediately afterwards all I wanted to do was get a gun and go back and shoot up the place. I’ve thought about that situation many times. I am glad I didn’t have a gun. I was a high school kid back then. Had I had a gun readily available I might have made some bad choices.

About ten years ago I was at a high school party which went all wrong, and I ended up staring at the barrel of a loaded gun. Definitely a scary moment. Immediately afterwards all I wanted to do was get a gun and go back and shoot up the place. I’ve thought about that situation many times. I am glad I didn’t have a gun. I was a high school kid back then. Had I had a gun readily available I might have made some bad choices.

And had you made those bad choices it would have been your fault, not the guns. It always boils down to personal responsibility.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I used to go hiking alone in fairly remote areas, and that's about the only time I'd carry. There are rabid animals in our neck of the woods and they have been occasionally known to go after hikers.

I don't carry any more, only because I don't hike much any more. But I still enjoy shooting. It's fun to go blast a few holes in a target, great stress breaker.

Know what you mean. I haven't carried in over a year. The most use I get out of my permit comes from not having to unload/reload whenever driving to the boonies to hike or whatever. I have only carried a concealed weapon on my person a few times, like when we parked a boat in Portland and walked into town for breakfast. There was no way to lock our guns up in the boat.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

And had you made those bad choices it would have been your fault, not the guns. It always boils down to personal responsibility.

The point was that I didnt need the gun in the first place to get out of a potentailly deadly situation. A readily availble gun would have escalated that situation too.

all I wanted to do was get a gun and go back and shoot up the place

I think it's very clear that you, as an individual, do not have the training, the temperament, nor the maturity (this specific topic only) to own a gun.

I'm glad we can all agree on that.

Now each individual is different, so let's take them one at a time and not project your mentality as the norm.

Here's an example - as mad as I've ever been at someone, it's never crossed my mind to go get my gun and "shoot up the place" - not even the individual - while leaving the 'place' alone. We weren't raised that way. I don't take movies that seriously.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have and it saved my life. Cops said I had every right to use deadly force.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

This weekend SDC will probably not have any concealed weapons, just alot of them out in the open, loaded and ready to fire.

Maybe more than 50 AR-15s and several pistols.

Anticipated firearm related crime is at zero.

Anticiptated violence upon others is at zero.

There will be lots of ammunition, and yet there probably will not be any crimes committed, the chances are around zero.

Why do you suppose there is a high likelyhood nobody would want to try and perpetuate an offense this weekend at SDC?

Heck even if some ner-do-well came around and tried to steal a weapon at gunpoint he would not be very happy at the least.

Geez, some people actually might not be worried this weekend.

B|

Why do you suppose there is a high likelyhood nobody would want to try and perpetuate an offense this weekend at SDC?

That's easy - everybody quietly put all their guns and ammo in the same room, and leave for about 2 hours.

The guns - all by themselves - will have a free for all gun fight in the room.

Thus expending their evil impulses for the day so the owners can come back in and compare them to see which ones uses the largest bullets. The losers are allowed to pout in anger and release their frustration by shooting randomly in the city.

Don't forget to shoot out the lights when you leave.:)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

B|

'Cos I'm, coming out to watch (unless it's raining).B|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Because of the people, not because of the presence of guns.

HA rallies have lots of guns too, and lots of criminal activity.....

Heck I will be there, what are you trying to say?

Are you trying to tell me I won't go on a killing spree this weekend?

Do you think I will not be using cover and concealment in order to get within 1000yds of targets of opportunity?

Face it, you think I am just getting old and lazy!!:D:D

Mods if he implies that I am a decent law abiding citizen with respect and concern for others rights and personal welfare, can we ban him for slandering me?B|

B|

Please check with Gomei, Trimby, Rainbo, Canoe Randy, or me before taking a stroll through the woods ok?

As always consult with range personnel before attempting to cross the event area.

And yes, when you dont have a gun, you tend to have to use your brain to deal with whatever your threat is.

Right. Guns and intelligence are mutually exclusive.

It seems to me as though you (at that party) and your brother did the right thing. Even if you're armed, if the bad guy has the draw on you, you better keep your hands up & do as he says.

Your brother had his gun and was STILL capable of using his brain.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

B|

Please check with Gomei, Trimby, Rainbo, Canoe Randy, or me before taking a stroll through the woods ok?

As always consult with range personnel before attempting to cross the event area.

Wow, I never would have though of that:S.

I spoke with Gomei last week.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.