SkyPiggie

Muslim Congressman: "Bush is like Hitler"

News story:

Bush like Hitler, says first Muslim in Congress

America's first Muslim congressman has provoked outrage by apparently comparing President George Bush to Adolf Hitler and hinting that he might have been responsible for the September 11 attacks.

Addressing a gathering of atheists in his home state of Minnesota, Keith Ellison, a Democrat, compared the 9/11 atrocities to the destruction of the Reichstag, the German parliament, in 1933. This was probably burned down by the Nazis in order to justify Hitler's later seizure of emergency powers.

"It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that," Mr Ellison said. "After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader [Hitler] of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

Mark Drake, of the Republican party in Minnesota, said: "To compare the democratically elected leader of the United States of America to Hitler is an absolute moral outrage which trivialises the horrors of Nazi Germany."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/14/wbush114.xml

He'll get a pass too. Of course, some republicans will voice outrage, but I bet we'll hear zero from the democratic caucus or leadership.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Mark Drake, of the Republican party in Minnesota, said: "To compare the democratically elected leader of the United States of America to Hitler is an absolute moral outrage which trivialises the horrors of Nazi Germany."

If he's trying to emphasize how different they are, he's doing it in a very strange way. Hitler was democratically elected too (or at least, his party was, which is how he bacame Chancellor).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Of course it they had just charged him with something early on he would have had to resign.

If he's trying to emphasize how different they are, he's doing it in a very strange way. Hitler was democratically elected too (or at least, his party was, which is how he bacame Chancellor).

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't think Bush is smart enough to be like Hitler. And honestly, Hitler was such and extremely bad - dare I say evil (duh) person whose legacy is so full of monstrosities that I get tired of hearing people being compared to him.

Look, if you haven't wiped out tens of millions of people with acts of agression, PLUS murdered another 6 million people simply for being who they are, then you are not comparable to Hitler. The only comparable people I can think of would be Josef Stalin and Pol Pot. And that guy with the awful haircut in North Korea. Nobody else even comes close to making the grade.

Now Dick Cheney could be another possible candidate if he goes on living long enough.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Of course it they had just charged him with something early on he would have had to resign.

Bush or Hitler?

Charged with what?

Sorry, you got caught up in a series betwwen kallend and I.
Abraham Lincoln

Bush or Hitler?

Charged with what?

But, to follow up, had Hitler been charged by someone within the other political party, by kallends logic, Hitler would have had to resign!! Just think of all the lives that would have saved!! (I know kallen, I gave you an opening!!;))
Abraham Lincoln

"It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that," Mr Ellison said. "After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader [Hitler] of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

The actual statement is far different from the headline you (the GOP, and the news source) write, and it a perfectly valid argument. History shows many such examples. It's stupid to ignore it, just as it is moronic to cry out Godwin's law even when a valid comparison to WWII is made.

The federal government, and the White House in particular, already had excessive control before the attacks and they used the currency to increase it further, at the expense of civil liberties. Though Democrats like Clinton and Feinstein promoted civil violations like Carnivore, they didn't have the support to pass a Patriot Act. And while Bush, Clinton, and Shrub all would have been happy to march on Bagdad, it was only past 9/11 that Americans were comfortable putting 100,000 ground troops in a foreign land again.

The quotation you cite doesn't show any implication that Bush was responsible for the attack. None are in the article, either.

>Sorry, you got caught up in a series betwwen kallend and I.

>had Hitler been charged by someone within the other political party, by
>kallends logic, Hitler would have had to resign!

I'm afraid your riposte is a bit impenetrable. What are you trying to mock here? It almost sounds like you are comparing Hitler to Gonzales, who is another example of someone who did not resign when accused (per the previous thread.) That angle seems unlikely, though. So who's being denigrated?

He'll get a pass too. Of course, some republicans will voice outrage, but I bet we'll hear zero from the democratic caucus or leadership.

Don't hold your breath waiting to hear from the dem caucus OR the MSM on this one!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The premise of the statement is not valid. There is no consesnus and much debate on the Reichstag fire and many historians believe the Nazi Party was not responsible, but seized the oppurtunity it presented them. I would highly reccomend the Wikipedia article on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire#Dispute_about_van_der_Lubbe.27s_role_in_the_Reichstag_Fire

What he actually said though, not what the paper has spun it into - is actually right on the money: "It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that. "After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

Why is that not a perfectly valid comparison to 9/11? That event has given Bush the political capital to pretty much do whatever he wants, at home and abroad, on the grounds of hunting down the perpetrators and protecting society at the expense of civil liberties. There's no need for the paper to invoke Godwin's law in their headline - his actual statement is quite apt.

Besides, he doesn't compare Bush to Hitler, but rather the political ramifications of 9/11 to those following the Reichstag fire.

>Sorry, you got caught up in a series betwwen kallend and I.

>had Hitler been charged by someone within the other political party, by
>kallends logic, Hitler would have had to resign!

I'm afraid your riposte is a bit impenetrable. What are you trying to mock here? It almost sounds like you are comparing Hitler to Gonzales, who is another example of someone who did not resign when accused (per the previous thread.) That angle seems unlikely, though. So who's being denigrated?

:D:D thanks billvon, I knew you could do it:D

whoosh
Abraham Lincoln

Hitler was democratically elected too

And Colin Powell covered up the My Lai Massacre... and statements about tax cuts not leading to higher revenues prove that current federal tax revenues are not at all-time highs... and enforced confidentiality agreements equal the government silencing all of the press.

If nothing else, your insights are unique.

When I read the poll I wanted to vote no for obvious reasons, but after reading the article I can see what he is comparing and he is right on the money.

Without the fear politics (code orange, code red, code Salmon) that occurred after 9-11 GWB would simply not have been able to do all that he has.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Hitler was democratically elected too

And Colin Powell covered up the My Lai Massacre... and statements about tax cuts not leading to higher revenues prove that current federal tax revenues are not at all-time highs... and enforced confidentiality agreements equal the government silencing all of the press.

If nothing else, your insights are unique.

On March 5, 1933, the Nazis won 44 percent of the popular vote. The Nazis secured 288 seats in the parliament. Along with the 52 seats of the Nationalists their coalition had obtained a majority of 16 seats.

The coalition that Hitler led won a majority in the parliament in a democratic election, QED.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Don't hold your breath waiting to hear from the dem caucus . . .

Of course not; he's their guy. You didn't hear the GOP caucus condemning the Bush administration for comparing Kerry to Hitler in that ad his campaign produced. Heck, I bet a lot of GOPers agreed with it!

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Personally I think it's sad that both parties are lowering themselves to this level.