Skyrad

Do you have a faith?

Following a statement in another thread by one us I wondered if most Skydivers have a faith. Do you?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Where's the option for Atheist?

A Skydiving atheist that doesn't belive even that his/her parachute will open? :o

Sounds more like a pessimist:P

What is your definition of Atheist?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A Skydiving atheist that doesn't belive even that his/her parachute will open? :o

Most people realise that there is a chance that their parachutes wont open, that's why we jump with reserves (which also have a small chance that they wont open). There is also a small chance that an AAD will misfire or just plain not work. This is partly why there is constant concern over complacency and gadget reliant jumpers. Faith is a pretty dangerous concept in skydiving.

What is your definition of Atheist?

An atheist is someone who believes there is no God, as opposed to an agnostic who simply doesn't have a view either way, or isn't sure (and isn't too bothered).

I guess I didn't really realise you were opening it up to being beyond religious faiths - although most of your poll options are religions, hence my assumption :P

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

yea, I knd of forgot to put down Atheist, although that is a religion in its own right.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

yea, I knd of forgot to put down Atheist, although that is a religion in its own right.

:D:D:D

agree, but that'll get some panties rolled up here anyway

you forgot the Ignorant Apathetic - don't know, don't care

I have faith than an organized large scale group, despite any original good intentions, will eventually go bad and cause a lot of problems. They are best when short lived and disbanded once original goals are met. (political parties, unions, organized religions, etc etc)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've put 'I have no faith in anything but its a parachute it wants to open! ' cause I guess it's pretty neutral :P

Agree with you there btw rehmwa. Gotta get something finished before I leave work (heaven knows, it'll look like I've done sod all today, otherwise... :):P) so I won't elaborate for now!

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

Eh? How can atheism be called a religion? What's religious about not believing something?

An atheist believes there is no god.
An agnostic believes no one can know if there is, or isn't, a god.
A fundamentalist atheist believes he needs to convince everyone else there is no god.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Not arguing with you Robert ... just backing up what you wrote.

1) There is no way in hell that I can prove there is no God. So I am not an atheist.

2) There is no way in hell that I can prove there is a God, so I am not religious.

what does that make me? Agnostic ...

but I hate it when the religious think I am an atheist cause they can't seem to see the difference. >:(

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A fundamentalist atheist believes he needs to convince everyone else there is no god.

So what am I if I simply don't believe in god? If I don't make any claims about the non-existence of a god and I don't make any claims about not being able to know if there is or isn't a god, I just plain old don't believe, what am I?

but I hate it when the religious think I am an atheist cause they can't seem to see the difference. >:(

Well if you don't agree with them, then you are obviously wrong, and that's all that really matters.;)

As for me, I believe....I'll have another Fat Tire.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A ........ believes he needs to convince everyone else there is ...(something about).... god.

That's my personal definition of religion.
Anything else is harmless and personal and none of my business.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As for me, I believe....I'll have another Fat Tire.

LMAO ... my friend I would love to join in the Fat Tire. But they don't sell them up here. But we do have something similar.
Big Rock!!!

So let us rejoice in our beers and continue to worship the thing that is most important to us skydivers ... the well maintained and thus reliable skydiving rig, our own altitude awareness and our ability to make smart decisions under canopy. :D

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Following a statement in another thread by one us I wondered if most Skydivers have a faith. Do you?

Most people have faith. Either a faith that a god or gods exists or a faith that no god exists. Only those that don't believe either have no faith.

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

the thing that is most important to us skydivers ... the well maintained and thus reliable skydiving rig, our own altitude awareness and our ability to make smart decisions under canopy. :D

wow, that's not even close to what most skydivers would say

but it makes sense to me, I'll continue to read your newsletter