CameraNewbie

why do liberals hate cops and vice versa?

I've overheard many liberals say that they don't like cops and I have heard many cops say that they don't like liberals. This is obviously a war that I wasn't aware about. Please discuss.

It is a gross misrepresentation.

Pretty much any time you slap a lable on somebody like "liberal" and try to make a blanket statement such as this, it's going to be.

I would be considered "liberal" by most of the people that listen to the Ruch Limbaugh show, but I'm far from it compared to most of the people that listen to the Al Franken show. The reality is I'm somewhere in the middle and probably not more than 1 standard deviation away from it.

I LIKE the police. When something goes wrong in my neighborhood, I WANT them to drop by. I certainly have nothing to fear from them except the occasional speeding ticket.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm a liberal and I like cops. I mean, there are undoubtedly some real dicks out there, but most of the cops I've met have been good people who really do try to do their job well, even under some very adverse conditions.

I've overheard many liberals say that they don't like cops and I have heard many cops say that they don't like liberals. This is obviously a war that I wasn't aware about. Please discuss.

It's incorrect.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Libertarian here, and I am good with cops; as much as I am good with anybody else. There are a few bad apples no doubt, but that's true of any profession.

How could anybody but a hard core anarchist have a dislike for somebody solely based on the fact that the person is a cop?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Most people I know don't mind the cops themselves, if they really think about it... it's some of the rules the cops enforce that they don't like, and sometimes people confuse the cops with the law itself, because cops put a face to the abstract law.

If a cop busts you for smoking pot, is it the cop that's causing your problem, or the law? I say it's the law, because if it wasn't for the law, the cop wouldn't be bothering you about it. So, work to change the law; don't blame the cop.

Believe me, I've seen some asshole cops. But I've seen a lot more good cops than bad.

Well, not too long ago the cops openly beat the crap out of hippie protesters, and a large portion of liberals distrust an overreaching government.

Sounds like you've got an opinion that you want people to reinforce. But nobody's reinforcing it for you.

Maybe you should give some support to your position.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Eh... I'm a liberal and I work with the police every day....and I like my job and the people I work with. Most of the cops I know are good people and a few are dicks. Same goes for the people I've met skydiving.
Owned by Remi #?

Sounds like you've got an opinion that you want people to reinforce. But nobody's reinforcing it for you.

Maybe you should give some support to your position.

It's as black and white as you can get. I have no opinion about this. If I did, I would put my .02 in. I don't know much about a liberal. I've just heard them talk about the police in a negative way. I've heard about how police have had less than favorable run ins with liberals.
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

I think everyone hates cops.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

If a cop busts you for smoking pot, is it the cop that's causing your problem, or the law?

maybe it's that's person's fault and neither the cop nor the law, but then that would take admitting they screwed up

This is a goofy thread. I could write "Why do liberals hate bus drivers and vice versa" and it would be equally applicable.

Every job has some small segment of that all liberals hate - the real issue is the inability of liberals to contain their hate for someone from every group :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is a goofy thread. I could write "Why do liberals hate bus drivers and vice versa" and it would be equally applicable.

You resurrected a dead thread to add that it was useless? That's beneath your usually excellent standards.

That's beneath your usually excellent standards.

Nothing is too low or too pointless.

(no, actually because N-Gale's options for the issue of who's problem is it when someone breaks a law only included the cops or the law, but not the lawbreaker themself - very Californian)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(. . . who's problem is it when someone breaks a law only included the cops or the law, but not the lawbreaker themself - very Californian)

What is the statehood version of racism? Not really sure, but it's at least a very bigoted point of view ya got their pal.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

(. . . who's problem is it when someone breaks a law only included the cops or the law, but not the lawbreaker themself - very Californian)

What is the statehood version of racism? Not really sure, but it's at least a very bigoted point of view ya got their pal.

what are you saying?... that criminals are actually the victims when they get caught breaking laws??? That drug laws are a form of state mandated racism?

what are you saying?... that criminals are actually the victims when they get caught breaking laws??? That drug laws are a form of state mandated racism?

No, that's not what he said at all. But oh boy! ncclimber is back with a vengeance. I really missed your patented Ncclimber Missing-the-Point-and-Putting-Words-in-People's-Mouths(tm) posts.