Tonto

Teaching kids to shoot

Today was Freedom Day in South Africa. 13 years since our 1st Democratic Election. The DZ was closed.

I thought it would be as good a time as any to teach my 13 year old daughter the basics of shooting. Since we have fairly draconian firearms regulations the best tool for the job today was a .177 caliber spring piston air gun.

First I determined master eye. All 3 of us are right handed but shoot left handed as we are left eye domemant.

After a 20 min chat about the dangers of lead, and there being no substitute for trigger/muzzle control, we set up a target in her back yard at 20m. She did OK, and had a good time too.

Her little sister is 8, but wanted to try really badly. The rifle is WAY too big for her, and her 1st shot was not as good as her big sisters, but she stayed out there, practicing, and practicing. The sun was going down, it was getting cold,(going into winter here) and wrapped up in a blanket, she put in a pretty good 3 shot group with 2 flyers, in blustery 15 kt crosswind and failing light.

All shots were prone, over a rest, at 20m. I've attached some pics. The target pics have a 22LR round to show scale.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

That's some good shootin' ! :)
I always found girls to be much better students of shooting skills the the boys. The first 5 shots my niece ever fired made a group smaller than any her older brother had ever put together up to that point.

Cute kids. Good Dad. Awesome air rifle. Excellent groups.

The photo of her shooting from under the blanket is really cute.

You need to get a nice sandbag rest! I use an old ammo can, and put a sandbag rest on top of that, and it gives me just the right height for shooting prone. You can even adjust the combination a bit, by standing the ammo can upright, or laying it on it's side. Stow the sandbags inside the ammo can for carrying. Cheap, and versatile.

You need to get a nice sandbag rest!

Agreed. The way I was being nagged today, I think I may also have to buy a smaller air rifle for her!

Link to mine.

http://www.gamo.com/?ID=53&ProductID=294

It requires way too much power for her to be able to cock. Maybe that's a good thing as it ensures adult supervision, but even my 13 year old struggles.

I'm thinking of getting one that is smaller and has a muzzle velocity of around 600 fps, and with open sights, as I feel that's an essencial shooting skill. I'll do some shopping and see what I come up with.

t

All 3 of us are right handed but shoot left handed as we are left eye domemant.

You can still shoot right handed even if you are left eye dominate by simply rotating your head until your left eye is in line with your sights/scope.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm aware of that, but find that trigger control in both hands has made me shoot a handgun equally well with either hand. I also like shooting right handed bolt actions left handed as I don't need to remove my trigger hand from the grip to work the bolt. Of course, some bullpup semi/auto's pose a problem, but the real ones are armoury convertable.

I'll live with my "liability" but thanks for the tip.:)
t

Update: Got her her own air rifle. It's a Gamo Delta Max. Light, and only 21lbs cocking force so she can manage it herself.

http://www.gamo.com/?ID=53&ProductID=10

Put a cheap scope on it, and it's a little tack driver! She's grouping tighter, but mentioned the blurry optics. :$ I never wanted to go for 1 inch rings as I felt it would unbalance the rifle. I'll teach her to use the open sights once the novelty has worn off. (Probably Tuesday..)

t

Where's the outrage on these forums? It's hard to be outraged when it's not anonymous.

(I've taught my daughter to shoot also - with the .22 I owned when I was her age. She really enjoyed it and hit the target, and she learned a lot of good lessons about safety and shooting..... Funny, I still haven't seen any homicidal tendencies since then and it's been awhile. I'll just keep my eyes on her, just in case. (no way would one EVER tell the school about about her getting to target shoot, they'd expel her - even if her teacher is a hunter.)

Poor kid - we haven't forced her into vegentarianism, we haver her do chores, we expect good grades, she got off breast milk before the age of 6 (actually 1 year), she makes friends with kids she likes based on if they are nice kids not based on some apportionment scheme, has learned to shoot a rifle, we're parents - not buddies..... all the wrong things and she's still a neat kid).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Poor kid - we haven't forced her into vegentarianism, we haver her do chores, we expect good grades, she got off breast milk before the age of 6 (actually 1 year), she makes friends with kids she likes based on if they are nice kids not based on some apportionment scheme, has learned to shoot a rifle, we're parents - not buddies..... all the wrong things and she's still a neat kid).

Please pack your daughter's suitcase and have her ready for when NannyGov® comes to pick her up. Thank you for your cooperation.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, I think the days are numbered where we can teach our kids the way we were taught. I was never allowed an air rifle. They were dangerous. Along with bicycles. Never had one of those till I was 16..

But there was something about looking at a target over a front sight, and seeing the world constantly moving, and wanting it to be still for just a moment, so that I could send my pellet on it's way that was almost like meditation. My mind empty of everything else at the time.

I liked that. I feel the same way now when I skydive, when I climb, when I dive. All I'm thinking about is now. Then there's enough time to think about the future later.

t

But there was something about looking at a target over a front sight, and seeing the world constantly moving, and wanting it to be still for just a moment, so that I could send my pellet on it's way that was almost like meditation. My mind empty of everything else at the time.

I had that same feeling a long time ago. Except that her name wasn't Target, but Jenny, or something like that. Small world, though...:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I taught both my daughters to shoot with a 17 cal. pellet gun. I sawed the stock down short, so it fit them better. On winter days, when it was below zero outside, we'd shoot inside the house (with BB's). I stuffed a box full of old magazines, and we took turns shooting into that. Great fun!

A few years later I had them hunting with me. The oldest one wants to go after elk this Fall. Both have taken numerous deer, antelope, and turkeys....Steve1

Please pack your daughter's suitcase and have her ready for when NannyGov® comes to pick her up. Thank you for your cooperation.

HA! They'd have to take ALL the children from around here (well, except for my son who has never shot anything more powerful than a pellet gun). It's extremely common for children to kill their first buck by the time they're 5 or 6. Or does that count in the nanny government...lol.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I've only ever hunted once, and it was for the pot, not trophy, but I understand the benefit it has for the environment.

I understand the benefit of it for the freezer, grill, and dinner table.

Is that ok?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_dates_view_item.asp?ItemId=43932&AuctionName=Historic%20Firearms%20and%20Early%20Militaria%20/%20May%202

My first rifle was on EXACTLY like the one on the link above.

My gramps had the stock cut down for me, a little too heavy to off-hand when I first got it...I was a 'tack driver' out to 100 yards.

I was 6....my how times have changed, I only started teaching MY kids a couple years ago when they hit their teens:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_dates_view_item.asp?ItemId=43932&AuctionName=Historic%20Firearms%20and%20Early%20Militaria%20/%20May%202

My first rifle was on EXACTLY like the one on the link above.

My gramps had the stock cut down for me, a little too heavy to off-hand when I first got it...I was a 'tack driver' out to 100 yards.

I was 6....my how times have changed, I only started teaching MY kids a couple years ago when they hit their teens:|

Had my son shooting a .45 at 4. I had to help him hold and pull the trigger but I didn't want him gun shy.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I've only ever hunted once, and it was for the pot, not trophy, but I understand the benefit it has for the environment.

t

I always dreamed of hunting Africa. Cape Buffalo, Lion, and other critters that could be dangerous. I imagine all that is changing now. Montana isn't what it once was either. There's more and more fee hunting, fewer places to go, and too many hunters. That's one of the reasons I skydive more and hunt less these days.

My daughters grew up eating wild meat. It's hard to beat, if it's prepared right....Steve1

Where's the outrage on these forums? It's hard to be outraged when it's not anonymous.

I am outraged but unlike some republicans I will try neither to tell others how to live nor how to educate their offspring.

Leaving aside the fact that i am against gun proliferation i see a great risk in teaching a kid how to shoot.

Kids make mistakes, and more often that not very stupid things. Parents have to make sure that those bad decisions will not haunt the kid for the rest of his life. If Tonto, John Rich or you think that your kids will not make a bad decision regarding your weapons, then good for you. Either you are 100% sure of your kid´s good decisions or you are taking a risk. I personally wouldn´t do it, even if it is only because my kids would have my genes and i know how prone i was to do stupid things.

reply]

I am outraged but unlike some republicans I will try neither to tell others how to live nor how to educate their offspring.

Leaving aside the fact that i am against gun proliferation i see a great risk in teaching a kid how to shoot.

Kids make mistakes, and more often that not very stupid things. Parents have to make sure that those bad decisions will not haunt the kid for the rest of his life. If Tonto, John Rich or you think that your kids will not make a bad decision regarding your weapons, then good for you. Either you are 100% sure of your kid´s good decisions or you are taking a risk. I personally wouldn´t do it, even if it is only because my kids would have my genes and i know how prone i was to do stupid things.

Yes, there is a risk. But I don't see how this is any more dangerous than so many other things that are taught to kids. I want my kids to experience life, yet be safe as possible at the same time. I'm not going to raise them in a bubble. I think if you learned more about guns you too could see this isn't all that dangerous if safety procedures are followed....Steve1