Tonto

Teaching kids to shoot

Yes, there is a risk. But I don't see how this is any more dangerous than so many other things that are taught to kids. I want my kids to experience life, yet be safe as possible at the same time. I'm not going to raise them in a bubble. I think if you learned more about guns you too could see this isn't all that dangerous if safety procedures are followed....Steve1

Yep. Had this conversation with a parent tonight who brought her 8 y/o into the ER after he wrecked his go-cart. Tough little kid. Although he'll probably earn a few more scars than kids who are kept away from risks, that little kid will be competent in a lot of areas. He was a smart little country bumpkin too. Had a great time and good conversation sewing up his face....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>If Tonto, John Rich or you think that your kids will not make a
>bad decision regarding your weapons, then good for you. Either you are
>100% sure of your kid´s good decisions or you are taking a risk. I
>personally wouldn´t do it, even if it is only because my kids would have my
>genes and i know how prone i was to do stupid things.

You never know 100%, but I think most parents know to 99% when their kids are ready for things. In many cases it's probably better to teach them how to safely handle something than to not tell them anything and hope they never experience it. Sorta like sex education.

In some cases, maybe it's better to never tell them for whatever reason. But that's up to the parents; they know better when their kids are ready for that information.

In many cases it's probably better to teach them how to safely handle something than to not tell them anything and hope they never experience it. Sorta like sex education.

I see a diference beetwen how to safely handle something and how to use it. Besides unlike sex there is no hurry in teaching how to shoot.

In some cases, maybe it's better to never tell them for whatever reason. But that's up to the parents; they know better when their kids are ready for that information.

That is why even being outraged i wasn´t going to initially respond to this post, because it is not my problem how other people raises their kids. However teenagers are not considered responsible enough to do a whole lot of things, like driving, drinking, having consensual sex, signing contracts, etc. I don´t see handling guns as something less serious than the other things they are not allowed to do.

If i was going to teach my kids to shoot i would wait until their hormons settle down and i can easily assess how well prepared they are to handle that responsability. In the meantime an "If you see a gun do not touch it and call an adult" should be enough.

That is why even being outraged i wasn´t going to initially respond to this post, because it is not my problem how other people raises their kids. However teenagers are not considered responsible enough to do a whole lot of things, like driving, drinking, having consensual sex, signing contracts, etc. I don´t see handling guns as something less serious than the other things they are not allowed to do.

You make a valid point there but i think I have to agree with Bill that the individual parents are best suited to decide when their children are ready. I was put behind a rifle for the first time at the age of 6 and was alwaystaken out shooting with my dad(never alone). Now I'm incredibly comfortable around weapons, the people I see having issues are the ones who didn't experience them early on and developed a fear of them. Being uncomfortable with a weapon is more dangerous than being well-trained with one IMO.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

reply]

If i was going to teach my kids to shoot i would wait until their hormons settle down and i can easily assess how well prepared they are to handle that responsability. In the meantime an "If you see a gun do not touch it and call an adult" should be enough.

I started teaching my kids about guns long before their hormones became an issue. Hunting, fishing, shooting, and camping are things that we do as a family. I think it's these sorts of activities have enabled my kids to turn out normal while living in a crazy world.

Guns were always around when I was a kid, and I was taught gun safety, even before I was in school. I started my kids at around 6 shooting a b-b gun. When they showed me they could handle that safely, we went to 22's. Respect for firearms and their danger was drilled into their heads from day 1.

I'm not saying everyone has to do this with their kids. It might be good though. There are so many guns around. I think kids should know how to handle them safely. It's something that can save lives.

There's nothing wrong with telling a youngster to leave a firearm lay, if found. (If no adult is around) I wonder if many children will do that though....Many kids would would pick it up, even after being warned not to. They might be curious and start aiming it at themselves or a friend. Some other kid might pick it up while another runs for help.

One way I keep my kids safe, is by teaching them to treat every gun as if it is loaded, and always point it in a safe direction.....Steve1

There's nothing wrong with telling a youngster to leave a firearm lay, if found. (If no adult is around) I wonder if many children will do that though....

simple answer - a kid trained in guns and who understands they are serious will leave it alone if told to. A kid kept ignorant and fearful, will likely play with it.

It's amazing what trust and responsibility will do for a child's character.

(Bot - I appreciate your intentions, but in this one you are very far from the truth and closer to the propaganda.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants