Fast

Show me your papers please... ID's for going to the mall...

Source

Mayfair to Require I.D.'s, Target Gangs
TMJ4 Staff
WAUWATOSA - Mayfair Mall plans on taking a dramatic step to cut down on violence by requiring people to show a photo ID at the door.

The program will be implemented in April and will likely be enforced on Friday and Saturday nights.

TODAY'S TMJ4 has learned most people under 30 will be carded. Those over the "required" age will be given a wrist band and allowed inside the mall. Mayfair has not decided what the "required" age will be.

People who do not meet the "required" age will have to be with an adult who is 21 or older.

So if the required age is 18, a 19-year-old would be allowed inside the mall. But the 19-year-old would not be able to bring in a 16-year-old friend. The 16-year-old would need to be accompanied by someone 21 or older.

The rules also require anyone underage to stay with the adult the entire time. Mayfair plans on posting security guards at every entrance. Shoppers at Macy's or Boston Store will not have to show an ID to enter, but will need to show an ID once leaving the department store and entering the main mall.

Mayfair told TODAY'S TMJ4 this plan isn't expected to solve all the problems, but hopefully it will eliminate some of them.

About 40 other malls across the country have a similar policy.

A law enforcement safety strategy to address recent problems was also announced Tuesday morning.

In February alone, cops had to pepper spray and then Taser an out-of-control teenage boy outside of the movie theater. Then a week later, two men caused a disturbance at the mall, and one of them reportedly had a gun in his belt.

This plan was to review those recent incidents and try and figure out if the same people are involved, and then prosecute them if needed.

Mall officials said they will work closely with Milwaukee and Wauwatosa police, and even the Milwaukee gang unit. Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm said the idea is to restore peace and safety at the mall.

"This is the type of information we intend to share on a regular basis so that we can identify this small core group of violent offenders and remove them before they commit violent crimes," Chisholm said.

The new policy will identify people who are causing problems in other areas of Milwaukee County, including known gang members. If police in those cities identify known gang members, they will alert security at Mayfair. If they commit a crime at Mayfair, the district attorney will review the case and prosecute it criminally. Previously, many of the suspects faced only municipal fines instead of criminal charges.

"The bottom line is that we want to address some of these issues and do it proactively, take the lead on some of these issues so that they don't spin out of control," Chisholm said.

Shoppers Tuesday night were pleased to hear about the get tough approach, but many were shaken by the mention of gangs at the mall. Nicole Peterson said she's felt uncomfortable with violence at Mayfair for a few years.

"I didn't even know it was that deep like that, but it is, it's ridiculous," she said.

Mall worker Aaron Hahner told TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Lauren Leamanczyk that he'd seen and heard gang activity at the mall.

"They walk around the halls," he said. "They look at each other, they scope each other out. Sometimes, they'll be looking for a fight and sometimes they'll be looking to hook up a deal."

Other shoppers say they're not worried at all. Susan Trask said she doesn't like to see violence or gang activity anywhere, but she and her kids always feel safe at Mayfair and will continue to shop there.

Ya know, the more and more we trend towards this kind of thinking the worse life is going to get. They say there are some 40 malls across the country doing this but this is the first I have heard of it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

If you've done nothing wrong... you've got nothing to worry about:P

I think that besides the rights of the public, the business owners have the most to lose in this situation. Those that will be affected most are non chain style shops that are owned locally and target a younger market. In general though, if I was the owner of a store in this mall I would be looking to get out with rules like the above.

My concern is that they are not going to just be looking at ID's but rather taking record of the people going into the mall. This is something that would be easy because wisconsin drivers licenses are bar coded. I recently had to let them scan my license to buy cough medicine. I would have protested but I was sick.

More and more we are seeing our personal freedoms and rights violated and people are allowing it to happen in the name of "public saftey." The problem that we are going to start to see is that eventually, they wont even bother drawing a line, they will just do whatever they feel is nessecary to protect us from us. (Not a new thing, I know, I just feel like complaining about it today)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Couldn't agree more with you Derrick.
It sees to get more ludicrous every day.

Why don't they just sit them down with some milk and cookies and explain what is wrong with their actions?

Don't know if it would work, but it'd sure make me feel good about it.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Who gives a shit? Fucking urban sewer trash deserve to be fucked with as much as possible...

This is one of the bigger malls in the area. I wouldn't call its primary customer urban trash. The two largest stores are Macys and Boston store. There is also a cheesecake factory and some other resturants and attractions that are aimed at more upscale people.

Not to mention, I don't care who it is aimed at, this kind of thing is one more in a list of things I find questionable regarding civil rights.
~D

What civil rights? It's private property - if they want to require everyone wears green shoes they can. It'd be bad for business sure... but there's not a lot you can do other than whine if people want to impose prerequisites for your stepping foot on their private property, (save for where there are laws against it such as requiring the person to be of a certain colour/creed etc).

Who gives a shit? Fucking urban sewer trash deserve to be fucked with as much as possible...

Not to mention, I don't care who it is aimed at, this kind of thing is one more in a list of things I find questionable regarding civil rights.

The human fucking garbage that populates malls are reason enough to buy most things online, other than clothing (purchased every few months) and food.

Fucking fat asses, ghetto thugs, idiot teens, and the rest make my stomach turn.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

It'd be bad for business sure... .

How? I seriously doubt the under 18 are a big part of the purchasing demographic. In fact, older people may be more apt to come to the mall if some of the riff raff is excluded. Increased older patrons attendance. Now THAT would be good for business.

Do I care? Not one twit. To me it is no different than a club IDing people before entrance. It is within the business' right to do so.

steveOrino

If internet shopping didn't kill all of the malls, this might just well do it.

Actually, for most malls who have implemented a system identical or similar to this, the program has been very successful with sales generally rising after implementation.

Generally malls implementing this have had long standing trouble with youth loitering, creating problems and generating a negative perception of the shopping centre. By eliminating the large groups of youths loitering in the mall, you can eliminate such a negative perception and the shopping public tends to return.

Keep in mind that shopping centres are private property and as such can prohibit anybody they want from entering or staying on their property.

How? I seriously doubt the under 18 are a big part of the purchasing demographic. In fact, older people may be more apt to come to the mall if some of the riff raff is excluded. Increased older patrons attendance. Now THAT would be good for business.

That is exactly what they are trying to do. As I posted above, this has generally been successful.

So you wont go to the mall because they'll card you?

Its a bit of a catch 22 really. Gangs and violence are driving business away. Something needs to change in order to make the people who actually spend money feel safe again. Otherwise the entire mall is doomed. While extreme, the policy actually may improve mall business after a time.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

So you wont go to the mall because they'll card you?

Its a bit of a catch 22 really. Gangs and violence are driving business away. Something needs to change in order to make the people who actually spend money feel safe again. Otherwise the entire mall is doomed. While extreme, the policy actually may improve mall business after a time.

Correct, I wont go to a mall because they card me. *I* haven't done anything wrong and while it may be a businesses right to deny people access to thier property I don't like the way that they are doing it. The underlying issue for me is that it will in turn be used to look for people they think have commited or might commit crimes.

The issue for me is that over the last decade or so more and more things are requiring an ID to do. The mentality of having to keep a record of who is doing what and where sits uncomfortably with me. The eventual result is going to be that for everything you do you have to show an ID to prove who you are and that you are not dangerous. This goes against the innocent until proven guilty ideal that this country seemed to be based on in the past.

Maybe I just feel like being paranoid today. This speakers corner thing can be addicting.
~D

That is exactly what they are trying to do. As I posted above, this has generally been successful.

I know. I was responding to the person who said, "It'd be bad for business sure... "

It WON'T be bad for business. It will be good for business.

steveOrino

Do I care? Not one twit. To me it is no different than a club IDing people before entrance. It is within the business' right to do so.

It is the business of a club to sell things that young people are prohibited from buying.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I couldnt agree more, when I was a teenager we would all congregate at the Mall, we never bought anything, it was just a meeting place to find out where that evenings open party was going to be. If ID was required we probably would have gone elsewhere

It'd be bad for business sure... .

I'm not so sure. Add that they said they'll card everyone under 30. Young people tend to have more disposable income. Less income overall, but no mortage and kids yet, so they spend more of it at places like the mall.

and if you lose these customers now, you probably don't get them in 10 years. So it may help now, and hurt later.

So is this problem a winter issue in the cold states? Is the mall the only place warm enough for these gangs to hang out? I've never heard of such a problem in California, though I'll add I don't find much attraction to the malls. I only visit them with a purpose.

The human fucking garbage that populates malls are reason enough to buy most things online, other than clothing (purchased every few months) and food.

Fucking fat asses, ghetto thugs, idiot teens, and the rest make my stomach turn.

I enjoy shopping at malls on occasion, so whic hof those categories do I fit into? Just curious.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

If you've done nothing wrong... you've got nothing to worry about:P

My concern is that they are not going to just be looking at ID's but rather taking record of the people going into the mall. This is something that would be easy because wisconsin drivers licenses are bar coded. I recently had to let them scan my license to buy cough medicine. I would have protested but I was sick.

More and more we are seeing our personal freedoms and rights violated and people are allowing it to happen in the name of "public saftey." The problem that we are going to start to see is that eventually, they wont even bother drawing a line, they will just do whatever they feel is nessecary to protect us from us. (Not a new thing, I know, I just feel like complaining about it today)

I seriously doubt that a mall is going to start scanning your license. They just want to look at it to make sure you're the right age to go in, just like any bar or nightclub.

This has nothing to do with personal freedom or civil rights. It's a private business on private property, and they can restrict who their customers are, just like a nightclub. Going to the mall without ID isn't a civil right.

This has nothing to do with personal freedom or civil rights. It's a private business on private property, and they can restrict who their customers are, just like a nightclub. Going to the mall without ID isn't a civil right.

I'm too lazy, and this is said enough that a copy and paste is sufficient for me.

If it's a bad business decision, the mall will change their mind after their revenue drops.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants