mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

That is what I attempt to do, but I don't seem to stop those who would like to insinuate I'm illogical. :S

nothing will, it's their "faith" and they feel just as strongly about it

you do a great job discussing your position

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

what do you mean them were not stupid you know;)

Could you put that in context. I don't know which post you are responding to.

I am trying to work and post on Dz.com;)
Right now I am having to rewrite a program that I wrote a year ago to fit a new application. So I have to go over the entire program so that I know what the flow of it is.

That is what I attempt to do, but I don't seem to stop those who would like to insinuate I'm illogical. :S

nothing will, it's their "faith" and they feel just as strongly about it

And I'm okay with that. However, look at this thread as an example. The question was "Do you believe in God?" Some said yes, some said no, some even had fun with it, but it didn't take long before an atheist insults a christian for their belief. I'm not crying persecution ... good lord, Christians ARE NOT persecuted in THIS country. I simply wonder aloud why that is the method of debate they choose.

steveOrino

Religion is not a science. To treat it as such is an attempt to create a straw man for your own beliefs.

I don't see what the big problem is with using the scientific method to try and figure out if something exists or not. I'm just not convinced about the existence of things that are indistinguishable from non-existant things. If science can help me decide if something exists, what's wrong with using it?

As good as the scientific method is you wouldn't use it as proof about philosophy or art. Spirituality and religion cannot be subjugated to the same spere as science.

Now, when you talk of creationism, maybe. Miracles? Not really. The definition of the miracle itself implies it different than the normal occurance.

For instance. My wife drove over my son when he was 18 months old with a 1969 (land yacht) Buick. I was told he was killed. He should have been. I saw the sleeper with tire tracks across it. Yet, the boy had ZERO injuries. Nothing, nada, zip. It defied scientific logic. What is the explanation? Science doesn't have one. My faith points to God.

steveOrino

you know - i would love for an after life to be a reality as I really do not want to stop existing... however - i just see no indications that it will be otherwise.

if I could just beleive it will be and it would be then that would be sweet - but I do not beleive this to be the case.

if science could provide a basis for me to beleive that a specific releigion would provide this for me, then I would welcome it and embrace it - so I do not see a problem with trying to use science to validate a beleife system or to invalidate it.

i mean we want to live forever - don't we? with out this desire - we wouldn't have these releigions which all offer a solution to this one desire on our part... to exist forever.

so if science can help me pick the right one, yea..

maybe science can find a way for me to live forever with out releigion, what happens to releigion then?

Oh

I am not going to take part in that circular argument. There is plenty of evidence that some of the things written about in Bible did happen, but not all of them and none of those are of the supernatural variety. If you don't have proof that it did happen and I don't have proof that they didn't doesn't mean they automatically default to they did happen.

that is easy to explain - just go ask any college professor in physics and you will find they 'ALL' will basically give you the same answer -

they will give you the same answer because this event does not defy physics..

not to belittle the importance to you that this occured - beleive me - I am so glad your boy was safe - however - I would not consider it a miricle.

this has happened many times to many people - some get the weight distribution just right and are not even injured - others dont and are not so lucky - to varying degrees.

911 was his too - so was killing everyone with the flood etc...

or do we not like to think he killed everyone in the flood - we don't like to think of it like that eh do we...

:)

oh, and then he burned em in hell for all eternity - their burrning there right now .. right?

God will make sure nothing in His word gets screwed up. God is truth and His words are living. You know that sky that you love to play in yeap that's His.

Good. So maybe you'll be able to explain the "dying for our sins"?

According to the Bible, the God is omnipotent and omniscient (which is described as "knows everything").
This means that when the God created Adam, He knew - at the moment of creation - that Adam will bite this apple (because He knows everything). And He obviously knew this when He created this tree and the serpent.

This means that:
- Adam was created in the way which made it impossible for him NOT to bite this apple;
- the God knew it from the beginning, and did not fix it;
- then the God blaming US because of HIS creation followed the pattern?
- and then you are saying that the God loves us?

I don't see any logic here.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

you don't have proof that the things in the bible didn't happen

So if I say that the Earth was developed by aliens from Jupiter, and they live with us inside apple trees (but you cannot see them because they are invisible) - you'll believe in this too? See, you don't have proof this didn't happen, do you?

you don't have proof that the things in the bible didn't happen

So if I say that the Earth was developed by aliens from Jupiter, and they live with us inside apple trees (but you cannot see them because they are invisible) - you'll believe in this too? See, you don't have proof this didn't happen, do you?

Uh ... you don't have a really old book which tells about the aliens ... so obviously it didn't happen ....
This ad space for sale.

> God will make sure nothing in His word gets screwed up.

The Salem witch trials were pretty screwed up. So were the Crusades - and the guy who said God wanted people to do that was infallible! People do, and will continue to, mistake their own desires for the word of God.

I'm fine with people having a live and let live attitude, regardless of their faith.

But some of the religious people do not.
I have never seen anyone going to a church telling the people that their faith is based on a opaque book which is full of contradictions.
However once a month I see another bunch of people wanting to talk to me about their another God. Why don't they "live and let live"? Everyone knows where the nearest church is.