JohnRich

England: "DNA should be taken from babies"

News:
DNA 'should be taken from babies'

DNA samples should be taken from babies and stored on a database to help in the fight against crime, a senior police officer said yesterday. Commander Dave Johnston, Britain's most senior murder investigator, said the information could be used to both to solve and prevent crimes. He also suggested samples could be taken from people when they renewed their passports and from migrants arriving in the country.

Mr Johnston, the head of the Metropolitan Police's Homicide and Serious Crime Unit, told The Sun: "We have 300,000 unsolved cases where we have taken a profile at a crime scene but have not yet matched it. "As well as solving crime, it would really make someone think twice about committing crime if they knew their DNA was on a database."

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights organisation Liberty, said: "It is about time we had a debate about whether we want to turn from a nation of citizens into one of suspects," she said.

Source

No problem with that from me, but I doubt it would deter many.

When I first read the RE line that said it would prevent crimes I was thinking they'd know who would commit crimes before hand based on DNA (sort of like the Tom Cruise movie: Morality Report Was that the name of that movie?)

steveOrino

No problem with that from me, but I doubt it would deter many.

When I first read the RE line that said it would prevent crimes I was thinking they'd know who would commit crimes before hand based on DNA (sort of like the Tom Cruise movie: Morality Report Was that the name of that movie?)

Minority report. The meaning of the title comes across better if you read the book.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

With regards the passport renewal:

As of next year (summer 2007) all those renewing their UK passports will indeed have to provide biometric data which will be stored on a database and on a chip in your passport. You will not be able to send away a completed application you will HAVE to attend an interview.

SteveOrino, you dont see a problem with this therefore you havent thought it through.

Why should we all be on a database? Arent we blowing up the world to pretect our freedom? The freedom not to be fingerprinted like a common criminal just to get a passport?

When I lived in the US i thought it was pretty draconian to have to carry photo ID. Why should I? I have a ligitamte Visa? I dont lie about my identity?

But the Blair government is taking steps way further. Soon it seems we are to be the first country in the world to have full biometric ID. Apparently it will stop ID fraud and prevent terrorism.

What a crock of shit.
Every advance in technology is quickly outwitted by criminals, so the ID fraud arguement is crap. And in no way is carrying biometric ID going to stop you boarding a bus / entering a building with a bomb.

This whole database thing is a civil liberties nightmare being brought in by stealth. The arguements are a smokescreen for those who make money out of compiling databases and there results.

Get ready to be fingerprinted and part with a lot of cash next summer when your passport runs out.... The new biometric one is over £100.

Agent Man :
'Hello new born baby welcome to the UK!'
New born baby:
'Hi!'
New born baby:
'Why are you sticking that needle in me??'
Agent man:
'Oh we are collecting your DNA sample sneekily while your a kid, just INCASE you grow up and commit serious crime, you know like murder or rape.'
New born baby:
'Oh':( 'Can I go back in my mummy now?'
Agent man:
'No, you see despite what we say about it being a free society, thats not true..you have no choice'

We fingerprint babies/children. Those records go into INTERPOL/whatever LE database. What's the difference?

How many of those babies have they caught committing crimes? Does Interpol go around making them share their toys with each other?

Human beings are being turned into cattle...

It's not much different from the serial number tattoos placed on Jewish prisoners in Nazi death camps. The government has to keep track of all its property!

"1984". They were just a little slow in selling the idea to the sheeple. Bend over folks.
MOOOOOOOO.
Just think of the possibilities for organ harvesting/replacement.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

We fingerprint babies/children. Those records go into INTERPOL/whatever LE database. What's the difference?

An employer which has (legal) access to the database may refuse to hire me because I have a genetic condition like asthma and therefore be more likely to be sick and miss work. They can't do that with a finger print.

A corrupt government may choose to send me to an internment camp based on my ancestry. They can't do that with a finger print.

A government "acting in my best interests" may force treatment for a genetic psychiatric problem (say a predisposition to depression) where the treatment is worse than the diseas. They can't do that with a finger print.

Since any laws passed now to prevent misuse of the information can be undone when the political winds change, the only way to prevent this abuse is to keep the information out of government hands.

ignoring the potential for planting dna evidence, how many people will get convicted just because some traces of their DNA exist at a common location?

Just a year back, police officers came to my aunt's house (my official residence for taxes, dmv, voting) to talk to me about how I spit at some old lady in a road rage case. Their reason for picking me....I have no idea. It was a brown BMW I think, in a town I hadn't been at for months, while owning a red subaru and a black BMW *motorcycle*.

How many arrests (or convictions) would occur merely due to police typos?

What I always thought was funny is that the majority of people that do the pissin and moanin about NWO 1984 shit have tattoos. Wake the fuck up! You just gave the gov a nice identifying mark..some rebel you are. I would never get a tattoo just in case the world did go to shit and needed to be a revolutionary.
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

That sounds like a great idea:)
NUUT! (See I've been practicing my jokes since I saw Borat)

I swear the direction this country is heading in is REALLY beginning to worry me.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The freedom not to be fingerprinted like a common criminal just to get a passport?

Or get into America.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Are you joking????
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This is fucking rank, no wonder so many people are moving to commonwealth countries or the US, the kid is just born and you want to file him already! I can't even go out to the corner shop without a dozen cameras recording my moves.

Everything of course is for our own good, bullshit!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Don't forget that the Government also want to track every single vechicle in the UK on all journeys. They already track millions of us everyday via the Osyter card system and our mobile phones.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I try to fool with their heads..... I sometimes take me wife's mobile phone out instead of mine.... I'm such a little tinker:)

priceless

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes its true. To enter the USA you now have to be fingerprinted and photographed on entry to the US. I managed to escape it on my last visit as the Customs guys are not all that good at their jobs. But everyone not an American is now fingerprinted and photographed before entry. Including Brits.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca