Darius11

Airport removes Christmas trees

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16150563/?GT1=8816

Airport removes Christmas trees
Rabbi had requested a giant Jewish menorah be added to holiday display
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:31 a.m. ET Dec 11, 2006
SEATAC, Wash. - All nine Christmas trees have been removed from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport instead of adding a giant Jewish menorah to the holiday display as a rabbi had requested.

Maintenance workers boxed up the trees during the graveyard shift early Saturday, when airport bosses believed few people would notice.

“We decided to take the trees down because we didn’t want to be exclusive,” said airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt. “We’re trying to be thoughtful and respectful, and will review policies after the first of the year.”

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, who made his request weeks ago, said he was appalled by the decision. He had hired a lawyer and threatened to sue if the Port of Seattle didn’t add the menorah next to the trees, which had been festooned with red ribbons and bows.

“Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season,” said Bogomilsky, who works in Seattle at the regional headquarters for Chabad Lubavitch, a Jewish education foundation.

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.

Hanukkah begins this Friday at sundown.

“They’ve darkened the hall instead of turning the lights up,” said Bogomilsky’s lawyer, Harvey Grad. “There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch.”

I don’t know what to say.

The right thing would be to say hey the majority of Americans are Christians and that is what we will put up decorations for, and tell who ever has an issue to fuck off. Off course with a crazy Rabbi who is already hired a lawyer to sue I don’t know what they could have done.

If you add the Menorah, then where does it stop? Pretty soon we would have to put a replica of stone henge for the druids who live in this country.

I don’t know what would have been the best way to handle this other then the Rabbi not threatening to sue because he didn’t get his way.

Any suggestions?
What would you do if you were in charge?

I would think a Rabbi or any man of god especially in this country at this time of the year would have more important things to do then sue.
:S
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

If you add the Menorah, then where does it stop? Pretty soon we would have to put a replica of stone henge for the druids who live in this country.

We already have one of those in Washington.

http://www.spokaneoutdoors.com/stonehg.htm

OH and since decorated fir trees are not exactly a middle eastern thing.. but they certainly are a pagan religeous symbol...

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

Amazon, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understand is that the Pacific Northwest is pretty secular, with a much lower church attendance rate than much of the rest of the country.

Which means that a religious Christmas, while still reflecting more people than other religious traditions, would be directly applicable to a smaller number of people.

That said, Christmas trees are pretty frikkin' secular -- I suppose some could have blue stars on top, and then they'd be Hanukkah bushes :P.

A menorah is of greater religious significance than the tree; a dreidl might be more equivalent if I understand the traditions right.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Western WA is but EAstern WA is exceedingly red oriented.

Seattle has been described as the most middle American city in America. ITs a VERY diverse place.

There are religeous people here...but it is SURELY not the Bible Belt.. then again... If you base this place on number of tittie bars... there are very very few... moralists recently wanted a 4 foot rule for lap dances...like I said.. very diverse... but if the guys want a strip club they need to go to Portland.:ph34r:

"Hey Elezar - you want to put up a menorah, go right ahead. Put it right over there. It has to fit next to the christmas treee. What? You want _us_ to do it? Sorry, we don't have any giant menorahs."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/295428_trees11.html

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky of Chabad Lubavitch organization in the University District threatened a lawsuit after his request for a menorah display at the airport didn't move forward as quickly as he anticipated.

Bogomilsky said his organization wants to diversify the airport's display, but removing the trees was not its intention.

Chabad Lubavitch provided menorahs for public display in more than 20 locations statewide, including at the Seattle Center.

It's an international gateway -- why not celebrate other cultures?" he asked.

If the trees do stay down, maybe airport officials will consider a different kind of decoration, Edwards joked.

"Imagine if we had a blow-up of the Grinch to greet travelers," he said.

"The airport that stole Christmas."

I think given the circumstance airport had no other choice for the reasons stated in the article

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.

I think given the circumstance airport had no other choice for the reasons stated in the article

Airport=Place to get onto/off of aircraft, for the purposes of transport. Not some setting for people to conduct mental masturbation over non-issues.

This is so fucking stupid. If the item does not facilitate the transport of passengers, omit it.

There has been money wasted on attorneys, laborers, etc...

FUCKING STUPID.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Trees are NOT Christian symbols. Decorated trees have been used to celebrate winter solstice from pre-Christian times.

The rabbi, his lawyer, and the airport authority ALL need to get a grip.

I put up my Solstice Tree yesterday.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I fail to see how a giant tree is an oppressive symbol of Christianity. Unless there was a crucifix on top of it its not religious at all.

Oh yeah,

The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.

Best comeback ever:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Airport=Place to get onto/off of aircraft, for the purposes of transport. Not some setting for people to conduct mental masturbation over non-issues.

This is so fucking stupid. If the item does not facilitate the transport of passengers, omit it.

The Dickens you say?

THAT said, I believe the Airport did the most fiscally reasonable thing it could faced with the threat of a lawsuit.

THAT said, the answer to every "issue" in life isn't the court system and I wish both the Airport and the Rabbi could have come to a quicker and more reasonable solution for all parties involved.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The Dickens you say?

THAT said, I believe the Airport did the most fiscally reasonable thing it could faced with the threat of a lawsuit.

THAT said, the answer to every "issue" in life isn't the court system and I wish both the Airport and the Rabbi could have come to a quicker and more reasonable solution for all parties involved.

Maybe Bush should just take control of the airport; he knows how to settle problems of this kind.

Trees are NOT Christian symbols. Decorated trees have been used to celebrate winter solstice from pre-Christian times.

What happened two thousand years ago is basically irrelevant to what are obviously recognized as symbols for celebrating Christmas in this country, today. :P

What happened two thousand years ago is basically irrelevant to what are obviously recognized as symbols for celebrating Christmas in this country, today. :P

Well, that excludes anything and everything to do with Jesus and Mary in a stable, then, doesn't it? AWAY with all the nativity scenes.:P

Wait a minute, are you suggesting that just one guy can outspend at courts a whole airport? Couldn't they just take it to court untill after Christmass so that they take the trees down anyway?

We get stuff like this in England in the papers as well, how this and that Muslim wants to ban Christmass decorations, but I am not too sure what to think about it. I live in a city that has such a big Asian population, that one can live here all their lives without ever learning English, and we still get decorations. Of course the decorations are not too glamorous (that's because the council can't afford anything better), but even at the takeaways, at least my local Paki dude, always puts up Christmass decoration.

Muslims shouldn't make a fuss about Christmass either, since they believe to Jesus and the Virgin Mary. In any way, if I lived to a Muslim country, I wouldn't bitch about not having Christmass decoration, I regard the US as a Christian country, so if I was of another faith, I would expect to see Christian decorations. What does the Rabbi want? To have in each section of the airport decorations from all the faiths that use the airport?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I know the solution take all the people that pass through at the air port to Fly do a survey of what religion they are and come Dec 1st every year the one with the most is the winner and they put up decorations from that one religion.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I agree dude. I am a Muslim in the US, I simply accept Christmas (not to mention Muslims celebrate the birth of Jesus as well), and if there is an Iranian new year I celebrate that as well but on my own, and I don’t except to get a day of for it. When you go to Rome do as the Romans.
That would explain why I love, Weed, beer, pussy, Xbox and the JETS. :P:)

Well, that excludes anything and everything to do with Jesus and Mary in a stable, then, doesn't it? AWAY with all the nativity scenes.:P

I don't think I could have set you up, any better, if I tried. :$

Here's what I menat: What various pagans did thousands of years ago is basically irrelevant to what are obviously recognized as symbols for celebrating Christmas in this country, today.

And just in case your unclear, the mainstream celebration of Christmas includes a number of symbols in addition to the focal manger scene.

What does the Rabbi want? To have in each section of the airport decorations from all the faiths that use the airport?

Didn't you read the article? The Rabbi was fine with the Xmas tree, he just wanted a menorah up there too. He wanted both.

He & his group were disappointed when they took the Xmas tree down. They said it might make their Jewish group look like a "grinch."
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------