LisaM

Christmas with a capital "C"

If you want christmas to only be based on the christian tradition then you'd better scrap your trees, your decorations, your feasting, your gift giving and the whole idea of celebrating - 'cos thats pagan baby!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If you want christmas to only be based on the christian tradition then you'd better scrap your trees, your decorations, your feasting, your gift giving and the whole idea of celebrating - 'cos thats pagan baby!

So, decorated trees, giving gifts, family gatherings aren't Christmas traditions?

So, decorated trees, giving gifts, family gatherings aren't Christmas traditions?

Nope. they are traditions from the various pagan winter soltice festivals that were originally banned but (bowing to popular pressure) eventually co-opted by the church.

(With the possible exception of the tree. Don't know where that came from)

Nope. they are traditions from the various pagan winter soltice festivals that were originally banned but (bowing to popular pressure) eventually co-opted by the church.

(With the possible exception of the tree. Don't know where that came from)

So, since some of these traditions originated from other sources, Christians have no right to now consider them their own?

Seems like a peculiar definition of tradition.

So, since some of these traditions originated from other sources, Christians have no right to now consider them their own?

They can consider them their own. They should not, however, consider these thing exclusive to Christianity, or even originally Christian.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

They can consider them their own. They should not, however, consider these thing exclusive to Christianity, or even originally Christian.

True, And quite different from Jakee's 1st post.

True, And quite different from Jakee's 1st post.

Call it mildly reactionary.

Also, Lisa's first post says "you can't change what Christmas is about." If the early church hadn't changed what Christmas was about then we would no longer have it at all. These things do not stem from Christianity.

>So, since some of these traditions originated from other
>sources, Christians have no right to now consider them their own?

That's no problem at all - we can co-opt any traditions we want. In return, we should be tolerant when other people co-opt Christmas in ways _they_ want, rather than thinking there is a "war on christmas" or other such nonsense. (Not saying you think that; I just hear that a lot lately.)

If the early church hadn't changed what Christmas was about then we would no longer have it at all.

What was Christmas about for the early church?

They didn't really have it.

You really should do some research on the history of Christmas and December 25. Most historians (secular and regligous) that have researched it tend to agree that Christ was born sometime around September, according to information available from secular texts and the bible.

Christmas came about on December 25th as an attempt for the church to appease local pegan traditions and make the forced transistion to Christianity easier for local communities.

There, that's the cliff notes version, its much more detailed then that, so you can go read the rest of it somewhere if you wish.

For me, I do consider myself a Christian, but I don't get wrapped up in seperating secular and christian christmas. I don't mind Santa, I don't mind the trees, the songs...well, I mind the songs after the first week of play on the radio:P. I really enjoy the entire American version of Christmas. It brings back really good memories for me from childhood, it excites me about having a family and having little kids during Christmas time. All in all its a feel good holiday that also helps boost our national economy.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think what Jakee meant was the early Christians didn't celebrate the birth of Christ per say. He is right.

Thanks. Merry Christmas dude:)
@Dave

I really enjoy the entire American version of Christmas. It brings back really good memories for me from childhood, it excites me about having a family and having little kids during Christmas time. All in all its a feel good holiday that also helps boost our national economy.

How big is Christmas in Yankland these days? Is it overshadowed by Thanksgiving or is Christmas the main holiday/ festive time?

How big is Christmas in Yankland these days? Is it overshadowed by Thanksgiving or is Christmas the main holiday/ festive time?

Hell if I know, I'm not a yankee.:D

Ok, seriously, its still THE holiday. It'll be a long time until that's overshadowed by Thanksgiving, if that could ever happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>How big is Christmas in Yankland these days?

Absolutely huge. We start seeing christmas trees in October now. Heck, Wal-Mart started selling christmas stuff Sept 20th this year. It's the biggest shopping event of the year, and the more decorations/christmas music/silly hats they use, the more money they make (at least that's the theory.)