LisaM

Christmas with a capital "C"

So, since some of these traditions originated from other sources, Christians have no right to now consider them their own?

Seems like a peculiar definition of tradition.

They can consider them their own. They should not, however, consider these thing exclusive to Christianity, or even originally Christian.

True, And quite different from Jakee's 1st post.

Call it mildly reactionary.

Also, Lisa's first post says "you can't change what Christmas is about." If the early church hadn't changed what Christmas was about then we would no longer have it at all. These things do not stem from Christianity.

True. But I am contunally amazed by how intense it is in here!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

>Also, Lisa's first post says "you can't change what Christmas is about."

Yep. It puts me in mind of the people who are outraged that someone would suggest changing the Pledge of Allegiance to take "under God" out of it. "It's disgusting that anyone would change the Pledge of Allegiance just to suit their own religious beliefs! It stays like it was originally, period." (Needless to say the original pledge did NOT have "under God" in it; that phrase was added to suit the religious views of the US in the 1950's.)

I am not cut ot for SC.... I have no decent reply. Other than Merry Christmas!

:D:DJust think how sad it would all be without Christmas.

There wouldn't even be the story of Scrooge. Ba hum bug.
Just a cold, dark, depressing time of year.

Same as all the other days! ;)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Depressing?!?!? It's a great time of year! I get more time off from my employer, the plane climbs faster, the canopy flies better, there's more room on the plane and in the packing area, you don't sweat while trying to get that damn canopy in the f'n bag, and the beer light comes on a few hours earlier. What's not to love:D
Oh yea, peace on earth y'all!

>Also, Lisa's first post says "you can't change what Christmas is about."

Yep. It puts me in mind of the people who are outraged that someone would suggest changing the Pledge of Allegiance to take "under God" out of it. "It's disgusting that anyone would change the Pledge of Allegiance just to suit their own religious beliefs! It stays like it was originally, period." (Needless to say the original pledge did NOT have "under God" in it; that phrase was added to suit the religious views of the US in the 1950's.)

Uh oh. Can open. Worms everywhere.

Dude, Christmas is the reason for the season to celebrate the coming of Christ. The trees, santa claus, and the whole gift giving is a reminder of the Savior who gave the greatest gift of all. John 15:13 "Greater Love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." I attend services at 3 different non-denominational churches and this is what they believe the Christian tradion is regarding Christmas. I know you're speaking factually and history totally backs you up. However, if you open your mind and open your heart, you can find the joy and love that Jesus wanted us to share with one another this coming season every season. Merry Christmas to you all.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

I attend services at 3 different non-denominational churches and this is what they believe the Christian tradion is regarding Christmas. I know you're speaking factually and history totally backs you up.

Of course - since when did Christianity let the facts and History get in the way of their beliefs! ;)

Christmas is about live people, not dead ones.

But happy christmas to you too!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

We need to put the X back in Xmas.
:ph34r:

Absolutely correct!:)
"X-mas" is actually a christian term dating back centuries.

The first letter of "Christ" is the Greek letter "chi", which looks like our letter "X". In old texts "X" was often used as an abbreviation for Christ. Hence "X-mas"!:)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Dude, Christmas is the reason for the season to celebrate the coming of Christ. The trees, santa claus, and the whole gift giving is a reminder of the Savior who gave the greatest gift of all. John 15:13 "Greater Love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

Allow me to retort...
Happy Daysians, The Fonz 19:74: "Wait a minute. I don't understand something here. I practice all week until I have to limp home and soak my feet. I spend 18 dollars and fifty cents on a monkey suit. Two nerds come to room, lock me in my bathroom and start calling names. Sherlock Holmes here chases me and starts yelling at me. Cunningham threatens me with physical violence, Shortcake kicks me in the leg and you all want to go home happy. We let me tell you something, you're not going anywhere lady. THE FONZ WANTS TO DANCE!"
Merry Christmas to you all as well!:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Serious question : When did Christmas first fall on 25th December?

The Emperor Constantine was the Roman emperor who officially changed the Roman empire's official religion to Christianity, around 300 AD.

There was traditionally a huge Roman celebration called Saturnalia on December 25th, which everyone looked forward to & made a big deal about, the way people do today about the Christmas season, both Christians & non-Christians alike. Since this traditional celebration wasn't likely to just go away, Constantine decided to put a Christian angle on it, so he declared that that would be the date when we would celebrate Christ's birth.

Most Christian Bible scholars agree that Jesus most likely was not born on Dec. 25th, or even in the winter time.

In the Gospel of Luke, it is written that shepherds were grazing their sheep out in a pasture at the time of Christ's birth. People at that time in that part of the world do not graze sheep out in a pasture during the winter, they keep them in a corall.
Speed Racer

Actually I just checked, although it was Constantine who converted the Roman Empire, it was Pope Julius I, just a few years later, that set the date of Dec 25th for celebration of the birth of Christ.

The early Christians did not really celebrate Christ's birth, but focused more on the Resurrection.

It is easy to see how they symbolism works. Saturnalia was celebrated a few days after solstice, as a celebration of the return of the light of the sun (the days start to get longer again). In Christian thought, Jesus's birth brought spiritual light into the world.

Similarly,pagan Easter celebrations celebrated the beginning of spring & the return of life after the death of winter. It's easy to see how this can also symbolize the Resurrection of Christ after he was put to death.
Old symbols, new, but related, meanings.
Speed Racer

Actually I just checked, although it was Constantine who converted the Roman Empire, it was Pope Julius I, just a few years later, that set the date of Dec 25th for celebration of the birth of Christ.

The early Christians did not really celebrate Christ's birth, but focused more on the Resurrection.

It is easy to see how they symbolism works. Saturnalia was celebrated a few days after solstice, as a celebration of the return of the light of the sun (the days start to get longer again). In Christian thought, Jesus's birth brought spiritual light into the world.

Similarly,pagan Easter celebrations celebrated the beginning of spring & the return of life after the death of winter. It's easy to see how this can also symbolize the Resurrection of Christ after he was put to death.
Old symbols, new, but related, meanings.

Easter is named after Eostre, pagan goddess of the dawn and of fertility. Estogen has the same root.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dude, I'm a joker and prankster and I don't get offended by mockery and I laugh at anything that's funny regardless of who's expense it's at but that was bad. That was so dry dude. The Happy Daysians, the Fonz 19:74 was funny but you should have left it at that. Don't quit your day job my brother! Merry Christmas to you and Happy Holidays dude.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?