karenmeal

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

It makes me laugh when atheists talk about 'religious people' and don't even realise that being an atheist isn't just a religion but a belief system of fanatical 'evanglism'. Why can't Atheists just carry on beliving in nothing and let the rest of us get on with our own beliefs? Bloody annoying.

Hah!

So how many fanatical atheist evangelists can you name? I'll have a go - Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Bertrand Russell...... any more for any more? How many evangelist atheists hold weekly meetings or organise protest rallies in your neighbourhood? Any? When laws connected with 'morality' are being debated how many prominent atheists' opinions are sought to balance out the bishops, cardinals and rabbis?

Now stop whinging;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

At my brothers church he is convinced to donate 10%of his income, which the church then squanders on luxury items and making the church look lavish. (TO be fair I know that some is donated to charities, but a lot is squandered on the building and maintenance of his mega-church.) Is that really necesary? Would Jesus even really like that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's be honest. There's not a charity or non profit organization, religious or secular, that doesn't want to operate without state of the art facilities or equipment.

Bullshit!!! The AIDS clinic that I sometimes go to gets next to nothing as they are not a "faith based" group. (the infinite wisdom of the Bush admin. thinks that giving more funding to some asswipe church and cut funding to REAL help is the way to battle AIDS).

My statement was that no organization WANTS to operate without state of the art equipment.

The James river assembly church down here in the baptist belt requires that their members sign contracts and have automatic payments from the bank to the church (got makes sure that the members don't stiff their freaking ass). They run tv commercials throughout the day stating doom unless you become a good baptist zombie and join the flock of brain dead sheep.

I believe this is a free country. I surely wouldn't belong to a church that had a draw on my bank account. Can I get a pass on zombie status?

I haven't read the book - but have heard him interviewed on radio and he was biggotted and refused to argue rationally which totally discredited him in my opinion.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I haven't read the book - but have heard him interviewed on radio and he was biggotted and refused to argue rationally which totally discredited him in my opinion.

Any examples? I only ask because I've seen him accused of irrationality by some simply because a) He used the word 'probably' in the statement "Jesus probably existed" and b) His definition of "reputable biblical scholar" wasn't "One who believes the bible is the true and inerrant word of God from page 1."

It makes me laugh when atheists talk about 'religious people' and don't even realise that being an atheist isn't just a religion but a belife system of fanatical 'evanglism'. Why can't Atheists just carry on beliving in nothing and let the rest of us get on with our own belifes? Bloody annoying.

That's not correct. A belief system is a presence of X; whereas atheism is nothing more or less than an absence of X. I read someone describe himself as a "devout atheist", and that makes the pendant in me cringe, for it's an improper usage of language.

Most atheists/agnostics, in fact, do not evangelize their lack of spiritual beliefs, and they do let the rest of you get on with your own beliefs. Believe me, you're complaining about a real minority of the overall sample of atheists/agnostics (in the real world; not in this blogosphere). They want nothing more than to simply be left alone about religion. That's the very reason you're largely unaware of them: because they mind their own business.

It makes me laugh when atheists talk about 'religious people' and don't even realise that being an atheist isn't just a religion but a belife system of fanatical 'evanglism'. Why can't Atheists just carry on beliving in nothing and let the rest of us get on with our own belifes? Bloody annoying.

That's not correct. A belief system is a presence of X; whereas atheism is nothing more or less than an absence of X. I read someone describe himself as a "devout atheist", and that makes the pendant in me cringe, for it's an improper usage of language.

Most atheists/agnostics, in fact, do not evangelize their lack of spiritual beliefs, and they do let the rest of you get on with your own beliefs. Believe me, you're complaining about a real minority of the overall sample of atheists/agnostics (in the real world; not in this blogosphere). They want nothing more than to simply be left alone about religion. That's the very reason you're largely unaware of them: because they mind their own business.

You're absolutely right, there is no belief system for athiests. The definition in its self is merely an absence of belief in a higher power, while thiest is a belief in a higher power. No two athiests are the same. Some believe in the big bang theory, some believe in evolute, some believe in string theory, and some beleive in a little bit of each or nothing at all. Athiesm is not a belief system in anyway, but an absence of belief allowing for free thought and speculation on how things are and came to be other than taking the easy way out and saying, becuase god did it, or god willed it.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

It makes me laugh when atheists talk about Most atheists/agnostics, in fact, do not evangelize their lack of spiritual beliefs, and they do let the rest of you get on with your own beliefs. Believe me, you're complaining about a real minority of the overall sample of

sounds like how religious types are too - the activists are a real minority of the overall sample

Skyrad's point is a good one - I'll avoid activists of both kinds as well. Like Karen, OR her brother. The best way to avoid it, is to not ask them questions about their beliefs, most will then not bring it up.

(and what the hell do people mean when they say they prefer 'spiritualism' over 'religion' :S:S:S. I guess one set of self delusion is just as good as any other. They likely think that karma is a neat concept as well. I guess if that's what their crystals tell them to believe, then it must be true.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The belief system (atheism or christianity or whatever) is not fanatical.

It's people who are or are not fanatical.

There are fanatical christians who annoy people by constantly proselytizing all the time, even to people who clearly don't want to hear it. There are other christians who are cool & just go their own way.

Same with atheists. MOST atheists are people who simple don't do religion/believe in God, & leave it at that. A minority of atheists, however, are fanatical & fundamentalist about atheism. They are ANGRY that you are not an atheist. They will preach & proselytize about atheism like a Jehovah's Witness.

I've encounterd some atheists who were fundamentalists. That is: They believe that absolutely EVERYTHING in the Bible is COMPLETE fantasy. EVen the historical books (Book of Numbers, Chronicles, etc) that aren't trying to preach anything , but just relate history, (wars, the lineage of the rulers of Israel & Judah, etc etc). For the Fundy atheists, if it's in the Bible it CAN NOT be true, and cannot even be based on anything.

my point is that fanaticism and fundamentalism exists among some atheists as well.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Where has Richard Dawkins ever been biggoted or argue irrationally ? I have read many of his books and find him far from both of those. But I am happy to change my mind on the man if you can give me a specific verifiable example. I would be very suprised if you can.

(and what the hell do people mean when they say they prefer 'spiritualism' over 'religion' [Crazy][Crazy][Crazy]. I guess one set of self delusion is just as good as any other. They likely think that karma is a neat concept as well. I guess if that's what their crystals tell them to believe, then it must be true.)

Well those would be spiritualists not atheists then wouldn't they. The only other epithet that can be attatched to a true atheist would be to those who consider themselves humanist.

And anyway, why are you so down on spiritualists? Can't you let them believe their thing in peace without your constant anti-spiritual activism?:P

And anyway, why are you so down on spiritualists? Can't you let them believe their thing in peace without your constant anti-spiritual activism?:P

:D:D

It was a separate digression to a Michelle post earlier. I don't understand the comment - "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" it makes no sense

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You write of atheists as if they are all of one type.

The bloody annoying folks are those that insist on the existence of supernatural friends without a shred of evidence to support their belief, and insist that the rest of us should "respect" them for their total absence of logic or proof. Even more annoying (if possible) are those religious fanatics that try to get their version of morality legislated into law, in order to impose it on the rest of us.

I find no reason to give any more respect to Christians or Muslims than I do to believers in Zeus or Poseidon (or the FSM, for that matter).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You write of atheists as if they are all of one type.

I find no reason to give any more respect to Christians or Muslims than I do to believers in Zeus or Poseidon (or the FSM, for that matter).

You write of religious people as if they are all of one type....

I give respect or not based on someone's actions. The foundation of their moral belief system or lack of one is none of my business except in how that reflects on their actions towards others.

Even more annoying (if possible) are those religious fanatics that try to get their version of morality legislated into law, in order to impose it on the rest of us.

What really annoys me is the improper use (just my opinion) of the courts to circumvent legislatures.

So how many fanatical atheist evangelists can you name? I'll have a go - Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Bertrand Russell...... any more for any more?

Oooh Oooh!! My favorite, Douglas Adams!! (By the way, this book is dedicated to him.)

Frankly, it is quite laughable to compare atheism to some sort of dogmatic belief system.

Here is a brief story of how I became an atheist:

Raised Christian, Sunday school never made sense. I always wondered why the bible was so hard to read and make sense of. It always seemed very vague and I was very frustrated as a kid.

I went through the motions of being a good Christian, all the while feeling a bit empty when everyone else claimed that they were being touched by god.

I quit going to church because it made little sense and was nothing new. And I don't sing.

After a while, it dawned on me that the concept of god wasn't super probable. Especially a god that had been humanized to the extreme. I read some books by Bertrand Russell and Douglas Adams. These world-renowned thinkers agreed with the conclusions that I had been arriving at on my own.

So I tried on the term agnostic for a while. Amazingly enough, I stayed the same person. I didn't go out and start vandalizing buildings or stealing shiny things. I'm still a moral person and if a cashier gives me incorrect change, I always say something.

I also stayed just as happy, everything was the same. I read some more books, proclaimed my newfound atheism to my parents. My mom admitted she has had doubts since childhood and she slowly is reading the same books as me and realizing that the can call herself an atheist if she wants. My dad admits that to him, church just fulfills a social need.

Life is good, they are proud of me for doing my own investigation and thinking for myself. Even if they don't fully agree, that is not an issue.

In fact, I think the world looks much more amazing now through a lense of atheism. I go backpacking and am in awe with the beauty of the landscape.. all created through tiny tiny changes over billions of years. Not with any intentions to please me or anything.. it just turns out that the world is an amazing beautiful place on it's own. Why waste our lives dreaming of a fluffy heaven place when if we open our eyes and see the world we're already living in, we might just notice how amazing it is. And it as that much more amazing when you realize it lacks a design, it just is that way, and we are all winners of a universal lottery.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

What really annoys me is the improper use (just my opinion) of the courts to circumvent legislatures.

what really annoys me is when cashiers hand me my change, paper money first then the coins on top.

what really annoys me is when cashiers hand me my change, paper money first then the coins on top.

This is really annoying. And then you have to sort everything out to put in your wallet while they stare at you to get out of the way.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Why can't Atheists just carry on beliving in nothing and let the rest of us get on with our own belifes? Bloody annoying.

Why can't all those uppity black people just sit in the back of the bus and let us white folks get on with our lives?

Why can't all those faggots just shut up about being married; marriage is for a man and a woman?

I've been a non-believer all of my life. I've heard every possible argument about why I should just keep quiet.

I'm 65 years old and it still pisses me off that Christians like yourself never stop in their quest to convert the the opposition...or attempt to get us to keep quiet as you are attempting to do.

Can you say "Iraq"? Talk about bloody annoying!

A true story about why I will never keep quiet about being an atheist---

I served with the 82nd Airborne Division during Viet Nam. [Fortunately for me, not in-country.]

One day during an inspection by our unit commanding officer, a colonel, looked me up and down and then spied my dog tags. He took them in his hand; looked at me with his teeth clinched and growled, "What's the meaning of this?"

"Meaning of what, Sir?" I asked.

"Atheist!"

"Do you mean what is the definition of 'Atheist', Sir?" I asked.

"No, you fool, I know what an atheist is. I want to know why you have 'Atheist' on your dog tags?" he yelled as he got more red in the face and more pissed at me.

"I was asked in basic training what religion I was and I told them 'atheist'"

The colonel turned to the lieutenant standing behind him with the ever-present clipboard and growled, "I do not have any atheists in my command!"

I was attached to Headquarters, 82nd Airborne Division Artillery where all the personnel clerks were also attached. One clerk with whom I went through jump school sat down next to me a lunch. He said, "What the fuck did you say during that inspection this morning? We have to go through ever single record and change all 'Atheist' references to 'No Preference.'

I told him the story I related above. He laughed and said, "Well, the colonel is going direct you and two other guys we found with 'atheist' to get new dog tags."

A few days later, I went to the dog tag stamping shop for my new tags. The clerk asked to see my old tags. He looked at them and said, "What do you want changed?"

I told him to change 'atheist' to 'existentialist'.

I now have two sets of tags and a story to tell about how bloody annoying it is when Christians in power encounter a religion they don't like.

Get used to us atheists, mate. I, for one, am here for the long haul and I am not going to sit in the back of the bus just so you don't have deal with me.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

As always in any belife mindset (Including the belife in the absence of X) its the minority fanatics who have no respect for the right of others to belive in what they want to belive in without trying to convert them that cause the problem.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It was a separate digression to a Michelle post earlier. I don't understand the comment - "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" it makes no sense

Then let me clarify.

To me - and it's my own way of thinking - I have a particular set of beliefs and perspectives about God. I don't go to church, I curse, I drink, I smoke...but I pray and I have a connection with the concept of God. To me, that's more along the lines of spiritulism (not the crystals, Wiccan, or any other "catagory"). Whereas religious to me means following one specific church, it's particular doctrines, and going to it and listening to sermons on a weekly basis.

The difference is, I'd guess, in the organizational structure. While it works for lots of people, it doesn't work for me. So I am not "religious", whereas I am spiritual (i.e. acknowledging the spiritual side to things).

That may not have cleared it up for you, but that's what I meant.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~