shortyj

Are you going to vote in the Noverber Election

I'm going to sit this one out. (This is the first time I've done this.) I simply CAN"T approve of either candidate for governor (State of Maryland), or either candidate for senate (One's an insider, the other is bought and paid for by the radical religious right.) and the local candidates are running unopposed. There is simply no way to make it work, so I'll sit back and let the rest of the electorate totally fuck things up and have a clear conscious, knowing that I have ZERO culpability in it. I didn't make the mess, I didn't contribute to its continuation and I had no option to remedy it.:|:|>:(>:(
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

no.... I'm not American;)

If Chicago can let dead people vote, then I don't see why we couldn't also make an exception for English people.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

B|I'm in then.... but I'm a wobbly, which way should I go?

Whatever you do, don't vote for the people who support the guy who can't even speak coherent English. ;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I am voting for the sake of the ballot initiatives here in California.

Ballot initiatives are the only reason I have not yet voted in Washington. I need to educate myself a bit more first. We have four this time, as follow:

Initiative Measure No. 920 concerns estate tax.

This measure would repeal Washington’s state laws imposing tax, currently dedicated for the education legacy trust fund, on transfers of estates of persons dying on or after the effective date of this measure.

Should this measure be enacted into law?

Yes [ ] No [ ]
---------------
Initiative Measure No. 933 concerns government regulation of private property.

This measure would require compensation when government regulation damages the use or value of private property, would forbid regulations that prohibit existing legal uses of private property, and would provide exceptions or payments.

Yes [ ] No [ ]
---------------
Initiative Measure No. 937 concerns energy resource use by certain electric utilities.

This measure would require certain electric utilities with 25,000 or more customers to meet certain targets for energy conservation and use of renewable energy resources, as defined, including energy credits, or pay penalties.

Yes [ ] No [ ]
---------------
The legislature has proposed a constitutional amendment on increasing an exemption from the personal property tax.

This amendment would authorize the legislature to increase the personal property tax exemption for taxable personal property owned by each “head of a family” from three thousand ($3,000) to fifteen thousand ($15,000) dollars.

Should this constitutional amendment be:

Approved [ ] Rejected [ ]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yep, me too.

I've got to read up on these. I guess I should take my ballot and voter's guide with me on the plane tonight; I'm running out of time to read up on this stuff.

I do love how easy Washington makes it to be a perma-absentee voter. I never have to worry about whether I'm in town on Election Day.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Actually, "Noverber" is one of my favorite theme months - we need to be sensitive to Noverbers, they are slowly becoming extinct

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Noverbers

Are those the people who refuse to turn nouns into verbs? If so, they are my heroes (at least most of the time), and I think we should trumpet the importance of Noverber!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm regularly appalled at the low voter turnout in the US. I know that sounds sanctimonious. Sorry. Anyhow, in Brasil, which just re-elected its president, voting is mandatory. I'm almost inclined to support that law as a form of mandatory civil service in exchange for the privilege (blessing, frankly) of living in a democracy.

Echh. I really do sound sanctimonious.:S Oh, well.

I'm regularly appalled at the low voter turnout in the US. I know that sounds sanctimonious. Sorry. Anyhow, in Brasil, which just re-elected its president, voting is mandatory. I'm almost inclined to support that law as a form of mandatory civil service in exchange for the privilege (blessing, frankly) of living in a democracy.

Echh. I really do sound sanctimonious.:S Oh, well.

I still like the fact that we are allowed to choose not to vote. Wonder if there would be a way to do it (must submit a ballot, but can choose not to vote for anyone) that could both encourage turnout and also maintain individual rights?

I did jury duty a few weeks ago, and the judge who gave the introductory remarks (designed to make us all a little less cynical about our duty) said "When you think about it, there are really only four things we ask you to do as citizens: Pay your taxes, obey the law, vote, and serve on a jury." It put two days of jury service in perspective, but it also got me to thinking about voting.

Three out of the four things he listed *are* mandated by our government and citizens can be punished if they don't comply (obviously, the degree of enforcement varies widely, but the general point is that they are laws that can be enforced). It makes me wonder what *would* be the impact of making the 4th one mandatory.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It makes me wonder what *would* be the impact of making the 4th one mandatory.

Its always worked so well for all the dictatorships around the world:S

Well, yeah, that's really the key thing in there - while it might solve the problem of voter turnout, it would obviously create a whole host of other problems and potential for abuse.

Anyone know - are there examples of other democracies with mandatory voting (and not just "democracy for show" put in place by a dictatorship). Serious question - I really don't know the answer.

Edit: a quick google search turned up this article which has two examples: Australia and Belgium.

http://www.slate.com/id/2108832/

so I'll sit back and let the rest of the electorate totally fuck things up and have a clear conscious, knowing that I have ZERO culpability in it.

I won't make a judgment as to whether or not this is right or wrong because I do not know. But the November elections are just one step in the process of selecting our officials. We may have no good choice or no real choice, but we do have the ability to participate in the process in its earlier stages. With so much energy spent on getting people to the poles, which is usually a partisan activity, we overlook the most important element: the selection of candidates. We are drilled with the notion that if more people voted then the political system would be better for it. I don't see it. But if more people became involved in selecting candidates, I'm guessing, we would have fewer incompetents and criminals in office.

Try to imagine the day when "I don't know who to vote for because they both suck.", is replaced by "I don't know who to vote for because they are both exceptional candidates."

Well, it's not impossible. *shrug*

FallRate

Not really, in Venezuela, before the constitution was changed by Chavez, it was mandatory to vote, otherwise you would have not been allowed to travel outside the country.

However, I came accross this interesting ballot from Iraq, while under Saddam.:D:D
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon