rocketdog

Should 9/11/01 be a national holiday?

this thread is self-explanatory & i WILL offer my personal views later.... just not right now (i'm @ work, gotta be quick)!

every one on the radio yesterday believed September 11th should be an observed, national holiday. i don't. i asked the office girls & they all believe that it should ?!

i also blogged this on my MySpace (don't have a direct link)
http://www.myspace.com/asianyumyum it goes off on a tangent, but you get my view...

trying to make sense of it all? thoughts?

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

No more so than December 7, 1941 is currently observed, and it isn't a national holiday.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

As a Brit' it's none of my business... but I'd say no. Holidays are generally for fun, so that wouldn't be approproiate.

Like we also dont have a holiday for 11 Nov (rememberance day).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I think it should be celebrated by eating pork products, drinking alcohol, and looking at boobies. (just to piss off Osama)

When we catch UBL, we should give him some boobies (via sex change), then dump him back in Afghanistan naked. We could look at the SF pictures for many years to come, and enjoy them ;)
We are all engines of karma

A national day of mourning, yes.
A national day of relaxing at the beach, no.

Exactly, I am quite dissapointed that most people can't fathom the ideas of Memorial Day and Veterans Day, to them it is a day off, a sale, or a reason to get drunk and watch races.[:/]>:(

Maybe that's what freedom is all about - being free to do what you like, even on a national holiday.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

a National Day of doing whatever the fuck you want, because that is what Freedom means.

More Paid Days Off work is always good.

it's already been officially declared Patriot Day.

...which is absolutely odd to me! (see my myspace blog above, although it's hard to follow)

in my mind, patriotism isn't about a holiday or having magnetic ribbons on your car. it's an ideal that HAS to permeate your thoughts & actions, every day of the year, not just on September 11th.

~hollywood

EDIT: when i made this poll i didn't mean OBSERVING or REMEMBERING 9/11/01, i meant should it be a national day where gov. offices are closed/schools are off/etc. i think a few are missing the difference...

Nope, we should let it fade away.

The objective of terrorism is to use fear to accomplish one's objectives. The longer we keep the fear alive, the longer they succeed. We should note it in history books, and save our holidays for days/people/events we _want_ commemorated.

Exactly, I am quite dissapointed that most people can't fathom the ideas of Memorial Day and Veterans Day, to them it is a day off, a sale, or a reason to get drunk and watch races.[:/]>:(

how many days of mourning do we need?

And why does this day get elevated over Dec 7th?

I don't think it should be a holiday at all, my earlier point is not that people should not do whatever they feel on those days but there is a large portion of our population that can't even tell you what that day means.

Nope, we should let it fade away.

The objective of terrorism is to use fear to accomplish one's objectives. The longer we keep the fear alive, the longer they succeed. We should note it in history books, and save our holidays for days/people/events we _want_ commemorated.

I agree. This logic gets my vote.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It gets elevated for 2 reasons:

1 - For political purposes.

2 - By lack of historical perspective.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

it's already been officially declared Patriot Day.

I think it should be celebrated by eating pork products, drinking alcohol, and women going around toplesslooking at boobies. (just to piss off Osama);)

fixed it for ya. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

something i hadn't necessarily considered:

i asked a co-worker the same question & she said it SHOULD NOT be because "it's a sad day that should have been prevented." basically, we failed our own citizens.

never thought of that!

~hollywood

i asked a co-worker the same question & she said it SHOULD NOT be because "it's a sad day that should have been prevented." basically, we failed our own citizens.

Quite a few felt the same way about Pearl Harbor. In the extreme, it was allowed to happen to get us past our isolationism in WW2. Much as 9/11 was used to return to finish off Iraq.

But it's hard to be 100% successful in prevention. There were several smaller scale ones before. This one just was much more successful than even the attackers had planned.