Darius11

A question for my Jewish friends?

I know the basic philosophy of Christianity is turn the other cheek take the high road and walk away.

And in Islam don’t victimize and never be a victim.

What the basic philosophy on conflict in the Jewish religion?

The reason I am asking is this.
When Muslims commit war crimes or acts of terror you see the majority of the Muslims step forward to denounce the ones who have committed murder.

As they did in 9-11.

I have not seen anything like that from the Jewish community? What I hear and see on the radio is 100% support for Israel. I know of one group of Jews who do denounce Israel and have done since the beginning. I am referring to the current conflict.
Whats the deal?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I know the basic philosophy of Christianity is turn the other cheek take the high road and walk away.

No. The basic philosophy of Christianity is to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and, love your neighbor as yourself." Sums up the 10 Commandments. Have you done that? If not (all fall short of the glory of God), Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me. If you died in the next minute, where would you spend eternity? Do you know for sure?

I am not a Jew and can't answer for them, but I do find what you are saying amusing at best.

When Muslims commit war crimes or acts of terror you see the majority of the Muslims step forward to denounce the ones who have committed murder.

As they did in 9-11.

???? I seem to remember Palastinians, Jordanians, Syrians, Egyptians, and Iranians (Though they are not muslim they are persian) Dancing in the Fucking streets.
To this day there are MANY muslim groups who still say the US got what it deserved.

As far as the current conflict, The reason you hear support for Isreal is because they are not commiting "War crimes as you call them". They are defending their country. They have been for years. I have never seen a country take SOOOO Much shit and not fight back. They IMO are well with in their rights. If the leboneese (sp?) can not stop Hezbolla from attacking Isreal, then Isreal has to do it until an international force can come in and take over.

If the same thing happened with the Mexico, trust that the US would be over the border taking care of business if the Mexican army couln't do the job.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

As they did in 9-11.

Gee I seem to remember quite a few of them dancing in the streets.. UNTIL... some of the muslim intelligencia.. started to see the western backlash that was occuring ....... and the feeling on the streets in a lot of western countries turned against muslims....

Personally I see very few muslims speaking out about the attrocities that their bretheren are doing in the name of Allah.....anything to bring on Islamic hegemony thruout the world.

I thought it was "Kill'em all and let god sort them out" :ph34r:

Sorry, i don't know an answer to your original question. It is an interesting one.

bsbd!

Yuri.

There was thousands of Iranians who mourned the loss of life on 9-11.
I saw one Palestinian woman who was celebrating that is why I said the Majority of Muslims denounced the acts and violence.

Do you have any links or proof that the Majority of Muslims said yea good job OBL? I doubt it.

I am not commenting on Israel actions. I am curious to see what the Jewish Religion says on conflict.

Yeas I am very interested in the answer and I will do my best to not respond to the inflammatory BS that gets posted here often. I am doing my best to not say anything inflammatory my self as well.

I just find it odd that every Jewish person i hear or see on TV will support Israeli actions 100%.

Darius, I see where you're coming from, though it seems others would rather supply a knee-jerk reaction based on key-word input.

Where Christianity + interpersonal conflict is concerned, yes, Christ taught us to turn the other cheek.

While the supporters of Al Quaida, OBL and violence as a necessary means to end the infidels may be Muslim, I know that this not a viewpoint shared by ALL Muslims. We saw the dancing in the streets and the flag burning and the rejoicing and many people gladly grouped the entire Muslim world together as the enemy. But I know this isn't fact, just a simple-minded sweeping generalization.

I don't know the Jewish code of conduct where conflict is concerned.

I do know that all the major religions of the world have at their core a positive message of peace, of love, of a way to live in harmony, something like that. No major religion exists on a founding basis of hate or violence. It may have ended up that way through man's wielding, but none of them started that way...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

No. The basic philosophy of Christianity is to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and, love your neighbor as yourself." Sums up the 10 Commandments. Have you done that? If not (all fall short of the glory of God), Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me. If you died in the next minute, where would you spend eternity? Do you know for sure?

pajarito, I think he's asking specifically about the philosophy in the context of the current conflict in the Middle East.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Hi Darius,

The Jewish philosophy on violence has little relevance to The State of Israel just as the Christian Philosophy on violence has to America.

As for the Muslim reaction to 9/11, I know that Muslims I spoke to at the time & subsequently expressed shock, anger & grief at what happened. They viewed OBL & Al-Quaeda as another extremist terrorist & didn't like what had been done - IT was actually the first time I heard the term: "Not in my name" being commonly used. But "American-Flag-Burning" makes better TV, which is exactly where Americans saw Muslims dancing in the streets. Did anyone in America see any flag-burning & dancing by Muslims in their home towns?

What you then see is the American prediliction for "Demonizing & De-Humanising" their percvieved enemy as a group, race, or other bloc. It makes for a nice, simplistic mentality if you don't have to consider an enemy as human - just like you.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

American prediliction for "Demonizing & De-Humanising" their percvieved enemy as a group, race, or other bloc

I would like to point out that that is not unique to Americans or any other country. You can look at pretty much any and every war ever fought and you will find examples of this on both sides. It is a very common way to drum up support for a war.

If you weren't so hung up on demonizing Americans you wouldn't have made that an American trait.

Ironic isn't it? How you became your own example. Do you have any other generalizations? If you stop and think you would realize that it is a human prediliction to put people in general catagories.

it is a human prediliction to put people in general catagories.

also a human trait to put themselves into general catagories

those thing have caused more large scale trouble

taking individuals one at a time can cause trouble, but never on a huge scale

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I do not recall ever seeing this. I usually find that when it happens most people I have heard from the muslim community immediately go on the defensive and start preaching about how western and israely "imperialism" has forced this course of action. Upon making this excuse they then start complaining that they are all being tarred with the same brush while simultaneously offering implicit support for the muslims who have committed the act.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I do not recall ever seeing this. I usually find that when it happens most people I have heard from the muslim community immediately go on the defensive and start preaching about how western and israely "imperialism" has forced this course of action. Upon making this excuse they then start complaining that they are all being tarred with the same brush while simultaneously offering implicit support for the muslims who have committed the act.

Richards

Let's don't forget the large money trails left from Islamic charities after 9/11.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Darius, I think your question is a good one . I do know that Orthadox jews are denouncing the voilence .. what the difference beteen a regular jew and an orthadox jew is I dont know except the Orthadox jews call the Israelis Zionists too... As for "implicit support " , it could be said by default that many americans support the occupation of the like of the Sheeba farms ,given they dont openly criticize it.

it could be said by default that many americans support the occupation of the like of the Sheeba farms

It could be said that most americans don't know which hemisphere they'd find the Shebaa farms in, and that they don't care any more than the average Syrian cares whether Ellis Island is part of New York or New Jersey.

The difference is that NY and NJ can work it out peacefully without resorting to kidnapping or launching rockets at each other.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

From wikipedia:

Ellis Island, at the mouth of the Hudson River in New York Harbor, was at one time the main immigration port for immigrants entering the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Ellis Island is within the boundaries of Jersey City, New Jersey, but is administered by the states of New Jersey and New York.

NY and NJ periodically get into fights over whether Ellis Island is part of NY or NJ.

The island is very valuable, it's a landmark with huge cultural & historical significance. It draws millions of tourists every year, and they spend lots of money on visiting the site.

But NY and NJ realize that the site is more valuable between them if they don't launch rockets at each other, or kidnap each other's citizens, etc. Their economies are already interdependent and despite administrative scuffles from time to time they manage to abide without violence. No hiding behind citizens as shields or mounting guerilla attacks and then suing for peace before an effective response can be made.

And the result is that both states prosper side by side.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Ok. I think thats Chalk and cheese and my comments should be taken in the context of my original post. I do not believe that Moderate Muslims support terrorism which is what was incinuated. I know several who prefer peace and prosperity as opposed to ideoligical wars. Id wager thay are in the majority. " Regular Joes ". I dont see Jewish people bringing " God " into it much.. On tv we consume many images of Clerics insiting hatrid of non believers ( Occupied , poor ,oppressed and fearful people make a good audience ) but not much of what the Rabbis are saying. My curiosity like that of Daruis is what the Jewish faith says about this. Most superpowers or extremist groups generally have a religious angle.

An exceedingly simplified overview of the Talmudic teachings, from Rabbi Shraga Simmons, can be found here: [ur; http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_warviolence.htm]Talmudic teaching on war, peace, violence

For more reading from Rabbi Simmons, here's a link to some of the Jewish teachings. ASk Rabbi Simmons

I hesitated in posting this, Darius, as you've made it plain I am not considered a friend of yours. However, I thought I'd post anyway, as it might be elucidating.

Ciels-
Michele

Edited to add: Here is an interesting paper on the Judaic perspective on peace, war, and violence. In part:
"In the Jewish tradition, self defense is a moral obligation. The Torah allows people to defend their property from a thief even if this will cause the conflict to escalate into a physical battle. If there is reason to assume that the thief will use lethal force to seize the property, the owner may use physical force, and even kill the thief if necessary to protect himself (Exodus 22:1, Sanhedrin 72a). There are two rationales for allowing self defense. The first is practical; without the ability to use lethal force to stop the actions of aggressors, anarchy would reign (Chinnuch 600). The second rationale challenges the moral assumptions of nonviolence. It asserts that it is impossible to equate the lives of the aggressor and the victim; we have as a rule "that God's quest is the interests of the hunted" (Ecclesiastes 3:15). The life of the aggressor and the victim are not of equal value; if only one will survive, it is our obligation to make certain that it is the innocent person, the victim, who will survive (Cf. Rashi to Exodus 22:1).

For this reason, the Jewish tradition considers pacifism in the face of aggression to be immoral. Refusing to fight evil is to be party to evil. As Michael Kelly (Washington Post September 26, 2001) has pointed out:

"No honest person can pretend that the groups that attacked America will, if let alone, not attack again. Nor can any honest person say that this attack is not at least reasonably likely to kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people. To not fight in this instance is to let the attackers live to attack and murder again; to be a pacifist in this instance is to accept and, in practice, support this outcome."
This is essentially the Jewish point of view; if you don't help the victim, you are an ally of the aggressor. If a person refuses to defend himself, he allows evil to triumph.
"

Darius, I can't believe you couldn't find this on your own. It's not hidden...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

My curiosity like that of Daruis is what the XYZ faith says about this.

Just about every religion has tracts that can be taken in support violence or against it. In spite of the insinuations of the fellow that started this thread, there's plenty of material in the Koran and in the New Testament that could incite violence. As well as the Torah.

None of it means anything until it is interpreted by a human.