skypuppy

Downhill mountain biker suspended for T-shirt mocking transgender rider

Discuss amongst yourselves:

Downhill mountain biker suspended for T-shirt mocking transgender rider

WHISTLER, B.C. (CP) - A downhill mountain bike racer has been suspended for three months for wearing a T-shirt that mocked transgender cyclist Michelle Dumaresq.

The Canadian Cycling Association said Monday that Danika Schroeter of Maple Ridge, B.C., was suspended for actions that blemished "the image, the reputation or the interests of cycling." The suspension will cost Schroeter a chance at competing at the upcoming world championships.

The incident occurred at the recent national mountain bike downhill championship in Whistler.

Dumaresq won the women's race with Schroeter second. During the podium ceremony, Schroeter wore a white T-shirt with black print that said "100 Per Cent Pure Woman Champ."

In handing out the suspension, the cycling association said Schroeter broke rules that guard against "any acts of violence, threats or insults or any other improper behaviour."

Athletes may not "in word, gesture, writing or otherwise harm the reputation or question the honour of other license holders, officials, sponsors, federations, the UCI or cycling in general," the association said in a release.

Schroeter has until Aug. 11 to appeal her suspension. If she chooses not to appeal, the suspension will come into effect on the following day and will last until October 12.

Controversy has followed Dumaresq, who underwent sex-reassignment surgery in 1996. Some of the riders she competes against say she has an unfair advantage because she was previously a man.

The Union Cycliste Internationale has allowed Dumaresq to compete at world championships and World Cup events.

The Canadian Press, 2006

07/31/2006 20:25 EST
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

the t-shirt makes a statement about the person WEARING the t-shirt only.

I have t-shirts saying 100% Celtic...should any German or Italian persons be offended???

sounds like infants at the wheel of the Bus.

Controversy has followed Dumaresq, who underwent sex-reassignment surgery in 1996. Some of the riders she competes against say she has an unfair advantage because she was previously a man.

Whew - here's a hard one. The tshirt warrants some sort of penalty, but her beef is legit. Unless she ended up with a much lower weight and muscle mass from pre op, she has a nice advantage.

If you have Y chromosomes, you don't belong competing in a women's competion. IIRC, even XXY mutants have not been allowed to compete as women in the Olympics.

So you're saying that the women that competed in the olympics, from the USSR and communist bloc countries during the cold war era, were actually born female.:o:S I'd buy that for a dollar.:ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

The t-shirt makes a statement about the person WEARING the t-shirt only.

That's incorrect.

How so?

Dumaresq was also on the podium, having beaten Schroeter by 1sec. Schroeter is on record multiple times as being in opposition to Dumaresq being allowed to compete in female events. Apparently supporters of Schroeter also shouted obscenities at Dumaresq. More.

I think it is bullshit.

If you are going to compete in gender-specific competitions, you should have to stay in the gender you were born. If you want to alter your natural gender with modern medicine because you think God made a mistake and you were supposed to be something else or you just want to give the other side a try, then have at it, ya freak. But altering your gender and then usung it as a way to propel yourself in a gender-specific sporting event, is bullshit. But it is also not surprising, coming from someone who would do that in the first place.

The t-shirt makes a statement about the person WEARING the t-shirt only.

That's incorrect.

How so?

Dumaresq was also on the podium, having beaten Schroeter by 1sec. Schroeter is on record multiple times as being in opposition to Dumaresq being allowed to compete in female events. Apparently supporters of Schroeter also shouted obscenities at Dumaresq. More.

That's all well and good, but all it does is establish a history. It doesn't change the fact that the shirt says nothing about anyone but the wearer. People can infer anything they want to, and everyone knows what the wearer intended to imply. But even still, the shirt itself doesn't say anything about anyone but the person wearing it.

I agree with you 100%. The problem is, it is similar as if a white biker wore a shirt that said, "100 Percent White Power Biker." There would be people who would be up in arms about it because it is "racist" and is directed against blacks. But if a black biker wore a shirt that said "100 Percent Black Power Biker," they wouldn't have a problem with it because it is just "celebrating their race."

The transgendered biker can wear a shirt that says, "Transgender cyclist and proud of it." But the other cyclist can't wear a shirt that says, "100% Pure woman" because that is directed at the transgenered biker and not a pride thing.

It's fucked up.

There certainly would be no suspension if the roles were reversed.

But altering your gender and then usung it as a way to propel yourself in a gender-specific sporting event, is bullshit. But it is also not surprising, coming from someone who would do that in the first place.

I highly doubt that anyone would go through the surgery just for sporting event reasons. Do some research on the psych testing required prior to surgery, then read up on the extent of work required for the surgery, plus the therapy required post op, including how painful it is. Then factor in the psychosocial aspects of going through sex change, being shunned and ridiculed by a very large percent of the population on a daily basis.

Although I have no interest in growing parts I wasn't born with and can't identify with the need/desire to do so, I have to respect the courage that the people who go that route show. It can't be easy, it takes more strength than I could ever have.

Gee, I wonder how long it will take for this thread to hop over to Speakers Corner?:)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hmmm.. let's see....

Someone wants to have sexual organs that they were not born with, so they have it surgically done out of wants and needs...

and you doubt they would use that to advance in sports???

It is just plain fucked up and is absolutley sick that people accept it as anything but that. When we have gotten to the point where THIS becomes a problem in gender-specific sports, society has reached a new low.

It is just plain fucked up and is absolutley sick that people accept it as anything but that. When we have gotten to the point where THIS becomes a problem in gender-specific sports, society has reached a new low.

Yes I do doubt they would use it to advance in sports!

It is just plain fucked up and is absolutley sick that people have to get all upset and hot under the collar about something they know ablsolutely nothing about. It makes one wonder about the person. It also makes them look like they need to get a life.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Hmmm.. let's see....

Someone wants to have sexual organs that they were not born with, so they have it surgically done out of wants and needs...

i can promise that if ever decide to get a cock stitched onto the front of my vagina and have the hole sewn closed, i will not feel it necessary to play in the NFL or participate in any other manly sports. also, i would not have the cock attached for the sole purpose of participating in aforementioned activities.

Send this thread to the "Speakers Corner". That way the born-agains and bigots can tell us all about how superior they are to the rest of us and they can tell us that this person hasn't been battling their emotions from an early age and that the whole sex change was done only to accel in gender specific sports. Yes send this thread to the wolves. The born agains will have a field day with it.

Not directed at Arlo: STOP ####ING JUDGING PEOPLE and take them for who they are.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over