AggieDave

I thought everyone was blaming the US?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060622/sc_afp/environmentclimateeu_060622134212;_ylt=AogwrwdrrzssABJpmlSK5Sus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM-

PARIS (AFP) - New data has shown that the
European Union (EU) remains embarrassingly off track for meeting its pledges under the Kyoto Protocol, the UN climate-change pact it championed after a US walkout.

Instead of falling, EU greenhouse-gas pollution actually rose in the latest year of monitoring, adding to the task of meeting the Kyoto goals, according to figures released by the European Environment Agency (EAA) in Copenhagen.

"Despite the various policy initiatives, this report highlights that the trend is still going in the wrong direction," declared EAA Executive Director Jacqueline McGlade.

"Europe must implement all planned policies and measures relating to reducing greenhouse-gas emissions," said McGlade.

She warned that EU members needed to take "ambitious" steps when crafting the next phase of their Emissions Trading System (ETS), a Kyoto mechanism designed to reduce pollution by big industry.

The EU-15 has pledged to reduce emissions by eight percent by 2012 as compared with a benchmark of 1990.

But between 2003 and 2004, emissions rose by 0.3 percent, or 11.5 million tonnes, marking the second annual year of increase, the EAA said in its annual report.

Emissions in 2004 were just 0.6 percent lower than the base year of 1990 -- more than four percentage points adrift of where they should have been by that time.

For the EU-25, after the "Big Bang" membership enlargement, the increase was 0.4 percent in 2004, or 18 million tonnes, over 2003.

"An increase of 0.4 percent may appear small; however, the magnitude of GHG (greenhouse-gas emissions) is such that the actual increase is significant," said McGlade.

"(It) is comparable to the amount of CO2 emissions released by three million people if they were to drive their cars around the world."

The EU saved Kyoto from collapse after the United States abandoned the treaty, then still in draft form, in March 2001 in one of
President George W. Bush's first acts in office.

The pact requires industrialised countries that have ratified it to trim outputs of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other gases that trap solar heat and could wreak havoc with the planet's delicate climate system.

Making these cuts can carry a significant cost, in making equipment more fuel-efficient and cleaner or in weaning an economy away from dirty fossil fuels and converting it to renewable sources, which is why Bush walked out.

The EAA report makes these points:

-- Road transport contributed most to the increase, accounting for a rise of 12 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) among the EU-15. Iron and steel makers were also culprits, upping their CO2 pollution by eight million tonnes.

-- Spain and Italy had the biggest GHG rise, with 4.8 and 0.9 percent respectively. Spain switched to fossil fuels after the 2003 drought hit power from hydro. Italy emitted more through oil refining and road transport.

-- Germany, Denmark and Finland did best, seeing reductions of GHGs of 0.9 percent, 8.1 percent and 4.9 percent respectively. Germany offset a rise from the iron and steel sector by big reductions in CO2 in households and services. Denmark and Finland made further moves to switch from fossils to hydro in electricity production.

Friends of the Earth Europe reacted bitterly.

"Europes governments make grand statements about their commitment to reduce greenhouse gas pollution," it said.

"Yet economy and industry ministers continue to block or water down policy measures to switch to renewable energies, reduce energy waste or introduce fuel consumption standards for cars."

The report is the second bad jolt for the EU's Kyoto ambitions in less than two months.

In April, the ETS, a "carbon market" where companies buy and sell quotas of CO2 under the EU's cap-and-trade system, went into a tailspin. It emerged that some national governments had been hugely over-generous in allocating these firms pollution quotas in the first phase of the scheme.

The EAA report is sent to Kyoto's parent body, the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), under clauses requiring signatories to provide an annual inventory of man-made GHGs.

Its sources are national governments, although the data is also reviewed by the
European Commission and the EAA.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We emit more CO2 than any other country in the world and have not agreed to try to reduce our emissions. Indeed, we've given any such efforts by other countries a hearty 'fuck you' for their trouble.

The EU emits far less than we do, does far more in terms of renewable energy than we do, has agreed to reduce their emissions further, and has made some progress (although far less than they had hoped.)

So clearly they are the ones to blame.

and has made some progress (although far less than they had hoped.)

By progress you obviously mean, since you read the article, the general increase across the EU and sizable increase in some individual contries?

Not saying that they are to blame for all the emissions in the world. Just that they (and others) need to look around them before simply pointing their finger at the US.

Sorry Dave.. You still need a finger pointed at your country as by far the largest contributor to global pollution... We haven't fixed things yet but we are at least trying.:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>Just that they (and others) need to look around them before simply
>pointing their finger at the US.

They are looking around, and trying to do something about it. The largest problem is still the US.

This is like a 400 pound woman making fun of a 150 pound woman because she went on a diet to lose 10 pounds - and only lost 1.

We emit more CO2 than any other country in the world

I think China and India have us beat...handily. The US has imposed crazy levels of emissions reductions on the auto industry. ULEV, ULEV-II, PZEV, ZEV are the norm now. We've regulated diesels in automobiles out of the fray. The technology can barely keep up.

When you've reduced emissions by 90% on autos that are already emitting 90% less than cars 15-20 years ago, the actual affect isn't as dramatic.

The EU emits far less than we do, does far more in terms of renewable energy than we do, has agreed to reduce their emissions further, and has made some progress (although far less than they had hoped.)

I'm not going to look it up, but with their reliance on diesels, there's no way that can be right, is there?

Oh, absolutely...anything to point the finger over there... :D:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

We emit more CO2 than any other country in the world and have not agreed to try to reduce our emissions. Indeed, we've given any such efforts by other countries a hearty 'fuck you' for their trouble.

Because those in power in the US have the common sense to know that keoto is a joke and is dangerous........

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>I think China and India have us beat...handily.

No, that's a common lie. We are still, by far, the largest emitter of greenhouse gases on the planet.

>I'm not going to look it up, but with their reliance on diesels,
>there's no way that can be right, is there?

a) European diesels are many orders of magnitude cleaner than ours.

b) In terms of greenhouse gases, gas mileage (assuming clean cars in both cases) is the primary determinator for emissions.

>Oh, absolutely...anything to point the finger over there...

Indeed. We should be pointing the finger at the countries that are the worst offenders - even if that includes us.

Hey Dave, Denmark met the target. That means I can moan and bitch about you American and your gas guzzling anti-environment destroy-mother-nature-gun-loving-war-mongering-imperalistic-crusading ways.

Of course, I could just not do the fingerpointing stupid US vs EU thing that creates division when what is needed is unity.

No fun in that though.

Splitter!

Hey Dave, Denmark met the target. That means I can moan and bitch about you American and your gas guzzling anti-environment destroy-mother-nature-gun-loving-war-mongering-imperalistic-crusading ways.

Sure... Just stop short of doing any cartoons about it this time!:o

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

This goes a long way toward proving that one of the main purposes of the Kyoto treaty was to put a thumb on the US industrial complex, and turn us into a second rate nation like most of the world.

Good move on our part.

Yeah, but you still have to live in Denmark! ;)

steveOrino

>one of the main purposes of the Kyoto treaty was to put a thumb on
>the US industrial complex . . .

Right! Just like Toyota was destroyed by becoming environmentally friendly. Let's hope something like Kyoto never happens! That way all US companies can be as successful as polluters like GM.

>one of the main purposes of the Kyoto treaty was to put a thumb on
>the US industrial complex . . .

Right! Just like Toyota was destroyed by becoming environmentally friendly. Let's hope something like Kyoto never happens! That way all US companies can be as successful as polluters like GM.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/17/business/main1414473.shtml for those who don't recognize sarcasm.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.