Andy9o8

Is a daily, formal "moment of silence" in public school a disguised form of prayer?

All very interesting topics. All of which hijack the thread :P

Look, you can just go on missing your dog and eating can after can of dogfood until you smell so much like dog food that your dog smells you and comes back home.

Or you can get up and go look for your dog.

Your choice.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't care what it is for. I do care that it's a waste of valuable education time.

I don't.

How is it a waste of time to have students stand a minute and think about whatever they want to think about?

How is it a waste of time to have students practicing restraint?

How is it a waste of time to have other students learn to not bother other students who aren't bothering anybody to begin with?

How is it a waste of time to allow students the opportunity to pray for a minute if they want to? It seems to be a greater disruption and waste of time to try teaching a kid who decides that 9:00 a.m. is his pray time, no matter what the teacher is doing.

My thoughts are that it is not designed as a "form of prayer." It's merely a time for people who want to pray to do it.

Are sniveling, bitchy assholes offended? "Ooh, boo hoo. There are all these people standing in silence. I think some of them may be praying. Oh, boo hoo. The horror I can't handle it. I'm held as a captive audience member by this school forcing religion down my throat. Oh, boo hoo."

That one minute allows that person the time to think about it, and maybe learn some coping skills that may be valuable in adult life.

It used to be said that puritans would lay awake at night, frightened at the thought that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time. It seems to have changed to a fear that somewhere, somehow, there's a religious person who might be thinking about God and who must be destroyed.

Why am I libertarian? Because I believe that you should: 1) keep your hands to yourself, unless authorized to place them on someone else; 2) mind your own business, unless researching how to make a buck; and 3) do what you want, so long as you don't bother others.

People bitching about this stuff really need to get a fucking life in a very very big way.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

...and sometimes it's just good to be quiet while everybody else shuts up for a minute....lol. People will find anything to gripe about.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

This gets the tempest-in-the-teapot award for the month.

A moment of silence is not prayer; it's nothing like prayer. It's sitting still for a moment. If the biggest problem in a school is that they waste 30 seconds in the morning standing in silence, then that school has very few problems indeed

This gets the tempest-in-the-teapot award for the month.

It's only the 11th. I'm sure we can do better if we try hard enough :)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

sniveling, bitchy assholes

"Oh, boo hoo."

get a fucking life

tempest-in-the-teapot

Eat shit and die, godless pinko!

you smell so much like dog food that your dog smells you

Hmph. Here I am with what I thought was a fun intellectual exercise.
You guys are all so <>fucking mean to me (and all the other yes voters).
You'd think I (we) murdered your dog.
<>
Oh, boo hoo.

Fine. Let's get back to looking for the dog.

Damn, I almost got him to eat dog food.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Its gripe bait.
Yes its a disguised...-thinly- form of public prayer. And even to an atheist its so politely administered as to be harmless. This is not ID creationism or indoctrination. Nobody is telling the kids to pray, nobody's saying you ought to use this moment to pray to X god or specifically OUR god. IF you DO pray to anything, now's your chance, can we all just leave them alone to pray for a minute if they want to?
I'm an atheist and I don't think this is an issue. If you pray, feel free to do so. If not, feel free to just do nothing. Pray to Lord Rayden, Mictlantecutli, Cthulhu or The Architect, whoever you want. End of problem. I could see letting this stand as a nice concession to religious folks, a kind of meet-you-in-the-middle sort of thing.
The atheist types who will overreact to this give themselves away. They're not about hands-off want to be free from other people's religion, they're about stopping other people from enjoying theirs. That kind of thinking gives atheism a bad name and makes people think if you're not FOR my god you must be actively AGAINST it so you must be evil.
I got a friend prays on the plane now and again. I respect that. Despite my doubts about the reality of who and what he prays to, I still might ask from time to time to be included in his requests for a little divine backup. You never know, I could be wrong, and when jumping out a plane, you need all the backup you can get.
AMEN!
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Here I am with what I thought was a fun intellectual exercise.

Intellectual exercise? Somewhat. But not a very intellectual one.

You guys are all so <>fucking mean to me (and all the other yes voters).

Back when I was a Company XO, plenty of other ate-up GI's thought that I was mean for telling them they fucked up when they fucked up.

If someone is so sensitive that they can't stand the thought of another person having THE OPPORTUNITY to pray, that person is a bitchy, snivelly asshole. Interestingly, bitching and sniveling about the characterization does not help their plight.

Perhaps I should have said to those who think that a moment of silence is offensive, "Suck it up, cupcakes." Oh, I just called those people cupcakes. Yeah, if that's the biggest of your worries, you've got it pretty easy.

You'd think I (we) murdered your dog.

Which would piss me off even more. Some asshole killing my dog and depriving ME of that opportunity? >:(

I don't care what it is for. I do care that it's a waste of valuable education time.

Teaching kids to be silent for a whole minute is wasteful? It doesn't seem like anyone these days is capable of just shutting for a moment.

In my view it is a compromise. Many of us old farts were brought up with prayer in school. Especially those born in a southern state like Texas.

Prayer was removed from public school. A moment of silence is a wise compromise. For the religous it allows them to satisfy the god of their choice (Personally I find it a little ridiculous -- I don't need silence, or your approval for me to pray) For the spiritual, it is a moment to connect. For the atheist it is a moment to ingrain how much you hate god thumpers. ;) So, see, we can all be happy with the wise compromise. B|

steveOrino

Here I am with what I thought was a fun intellectual exercise.

Intellectual exercise? Somewhat. But not a very intellectual one.

Oohh..<<clutching chest in pain>>...you really got me there....I guess you're right..I really do need to stop taking my "stupid" pills.

fun intellectual exercise.

The emphasis was on "fun", BTW.

Anyhow, so far, there are 15 bitchy, snivelly assholes (43%) who voted yes. Thank God (oops, I mean, a moment of silence) that we have the other people to tell us what we are...and, apparently, what we are not...:S

(And here I thought it was just my canopy that was snivelly. Oh, well, learn something new every day...)

I understand that there are 15 who voted that way. I'm not one of them, because it's not a "form of prayer." It is, however, something created for the purpose of allowing prayer to occur in schools.

There's a pretty important distinction between "prayer in schools" and 'school prayer." I read "disguised form of prayer" to mean "school prayer."

"School prayer" I would look at as similar to performing an invocation - a ceremony wherein the school officials or agents of the school, such as an invited rabbi, lead the student en masse in prayer. For an example of this, see Lee v. Weisman (1992) 505 U.S. 577. This IS school prayer that is violative of the Establishment Clause.

The reason for this is that the student is captive in an invocation. The student must either participate in an invocation (which may be against the student's beliefs) or not participate, which places peer-pressure on the student. A school can't make a student choose between participating and protesting the content of the othodoxy a school levies.

I see the above as a reasonable and compelling argument. However, I also find that the argument that a student who sits in respectful silence, even in a benediction or invocation, cannot be reasonably pointed to as joining in the prayer. Showing respect of viewpoints and even lifestyles doesn't mean I share in those viewpoints or participate in those lifestyles.

I think that gays should enjoy all the right, privileges and immunities as straights. I've argued for it against straights. It doesn't mean that I'm gay.

I've been present while friends smoked dope. I've never touched the stuff, and merely being around it does not make me a pot smoker.

I've been in bars around cigarette smokers and not objected to it. It doesn't make me a smoker merely by being in their presence.

In the case of "prayer in school" a student isn't being forced to respect any particular orthodoxy. In a sense, the student sitting silently and respectfully of the "moment of silence" is equivalent to the child playing tetherball instead of kickball because he doesn't agree with team sports. Sure, he doesn't like those kids that play kickball, but they aren't bothering him.

It's just brought to you by the people who'd like to see formal prayer in public schools.

How do you know it's not brought to his kid by some crystal wearing granola muncher that thinks a moment of silence isn't some kind of tribute to the tree and clean air spirits?

How do you know it's not brought to his kid by some crystal wearing granola muncher that thinks a moment of silence isn't some kind of tribute to the tree and clean air spirits?

Cuz it's a moment of silence, not a moment of passing the peace-pipe (plus, those people all home-school their kids, don't they?). :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Actually homeschooling is more popular then you think. Some of the greatest minds in our present and past were homeschooled. And just as much as things vary from school to school, homeschool to homeschool varies. To sit there and generalize a family who takes a different approach to education .... is sad

my kids if they were still homeschooled would NOT walk through metal detectors to attend class, they would NOT be insulted due to their lack of fashion, difference in freckle size, intelligence or lack there of. They would NOT sit there wondering if they can speak their mind without embarrassement. They would not spend 3 hours a day waiting (yes the avg public school spends approx 3 hours waiting) and thus be more productive in their day.

Homeschooled children do have the benefits of many things that you may not understand. Since you are in the position to insult without the knowledge of what it means to homeschool there is no reason for my rant. I do encourage you to do the research though...

Homeschooling is NOT a cheap way out
Homeschooling is NOT for abusive parents
Homeschooling is NOT for bible thumpers

Granted there are cases where the three above are used as a reason a family might homeschool. However what I have found through the homeschooling groups I belonged to at one time, is a loving and nurturing family unit who chooses to explore the notion that not everything fits into a mold and they choose to own their own futures by providing for themselves and those around them. I find parents who sacrifice several conviences in life to provide their children a different education, one that they are heavily involved in. An education that is tailored to the individual needs of the child....NOT the mold the govt says the child should fit into. Not better, not worse, just different.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I know several families that home school their kids.
Satistically it's a tiny sample, but FWIW, I'm trying to think how many of them are NOT just a little bit ...well, odd.
Hmm.....
...None.

Funny, I know some people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes and I find them a "little odd." ;)

You're reading WAY more into my post than is there. Sorry it bothered you. It was simply about a very small sampling of personal experience. I'm glad HS worked for you. I know HS works for many. I was making no generalizations, contrary to your presumption. All I was saying is I happen know about 5 or 6 families who HS their kids (which I acknowledged as a statistically tiny sample), and - maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's not - the personalities in those particular families just happen to be a little bit "different". Not bad in any way, just a bit odd, mainly in terms of their everyday demeanor and the way they interact with other people. Just them. Not you, not all people who HS their kids, just them. Nothing more, and nothing less. That's pretty much it.