JohnRich

Man Shoots Dog in Self Defense?

News:
A man was arrested and charged Wednesday after shooting his neighbor's Siberian husky dog, Kato.

The incident has divided many residents in the community, who are debating whether the incident is a case of animal cruelty or self-defense.

Neighbors remember the dog sometimes escaping the fence and wandering through other yards. Wednesday, Kato wandered to East Street where Frederick Grossmith, 48, lives. He said Kato and his own dog started fighting and, he told police, when he tried to break them up, Kato bit him. He then got his gun and shot Kato in the head.

"This guy took a precious, precious ... he's a family member," the dog's owner said.

Grossmith called 911 and EMT's treated him for minor dog bites. He is not known as animal hater.

Grossmith has been charged with animal cruelty and weapons violations. Police confiscated all his weapons.

Source: Boston Channel

I won't vote, not enough info.

But, if he's going to fight the dog, he should make it an even match. Put down the gun, stay on all fours and fight it out tooth to fang.

It's only fair.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Option 3 Grab your water hose and SHOOT both dogs in the snout to break up the fight....

Both neighbors get to keep the dogs they love as part of their families.... and have a chance to strengthen their fences....and no one gets bit... and everyone gets to keep their guns.

I don't believe he should have been charged with animal cruelty, I believe he should have been charged with stupidity.
Seriously, you jump into a dog fight your going to get bit.

I believe the fault lies with both parties, for one that was a little harsh shooting the dog for fighting and two the dogs owners should have been more responsible and kept their dog secured.

Just a bad situation all the way around.

Seems a bit extreme. If the dog was actually mauling him and pulling him to the ground then yes but it sounds like he could have removed himself from the situation and gone for a water hose or even some pepper spray. Not enough info to say for sure.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If a Dangerous Animal (Yes a Siberian Husky is a Dangerous Animal) comes onto my property and attacks me or my familly (yes pets are part of the familly) I would shoot it. Your defending life and limb. People are killed every year from dog attacks and you should have the right to defend yourself,familly and property.

If the owners didn't want their pet to die they would have kept it in the yard and I am not talking about getting shot. I live in Utah and see fresh road kill every single day, dogs, cats deer raccons. You let your animal run free it is going to DIE one way or another...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Well, hell, he's obviously not an animal hater, he has his own dog for crying-out-loud.

Now the weapons violations, that's another deal. I'm all for private weapons ownership, carrying permits, however I think doing it within the framework of local laws and regulations should be expected. Who knows.

One thing that pisses me off about nearly all these types of stories is that it seems like it's hardly ever reported how these things pan out. Am I the only one who thinks that?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

One thing that pisses me off about nearly all these types of stories is that it seems like it's hardly ever reported how these things pan out. Am I the only one who thinks that?

You are not the only one. That drives me nuts too.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

What I'm unclear on is how the dog that got shot was able to get into a fight with Grossmith's dog? Was his dog not behind a secure fence either?

Not enough info to know if he did the right thing or not, but the person whose dog got shot was obviously in the wrong for allowing their dog to wander the neighborhood.

I love animals, but I would be pretty pissed off about a large dog that regularly got loose and wandered around my neighborhood. I doubt that I would shoot it, but I would definitely call animal control.

News:

A man was arrested and charged Wednesday after shooting his neighbor's Siberian husky dog, Kato.

The incident has divided many residents in the community, who are debating whether the incident is a case of animal cruelty or self-defense.

Neighbors remember the dog sometimes escaping the fence and wandering through other yards. Wednesday, Kato wandered to East Street where Frederick Grossmith, 48, lives. He said Kato and his own dog started fighting and, he told police, when he tried to break them up, Kato bit him. He then got his gun and shot Kato in the head.

"This guy took a precious, precious ... he's a family member," the dog's owner said.

Grossmith called 911 and EMT's treated him for minor dog bites. He is not known as animal hater.

Grossmith has been charged with animal cruelty and weapons violations. Police confiscated all his weapons.

Source: Boston Channel

I don't think he was wearing a gun so he would have gone into his house to retrieve it then fired and hit the dog in the head?...what is he Annie Oakley?

I smell something fishy about his account of the story:|

This is my thought as well. The article makes it sound like he wasn't carrying at the time, that he had to go somewhere to get the gun. I'm a CCW holder myself, but if he had the chance to get away from the dog to go somewhere else (house, garage, whatever) to get the gun, then his life was no longer in danger. He could have called the cops or Animal Control and everything would have been fine. To go back out once he's in a place of safety and cap the dog is a little hard to label as self defense.

To go back out once he's in a place of safety and cap the dog is a little hard to label as self defense.

True...but at the same time I'm sure he didn't want to just stand there and watch his dog get fucked up. I'm not saying going and grabbing a gun from the house and coming back out was the best option, but I can understand he wanted to save his own dog's life (don't know circumstances of fight, but maybe the husky was beating the shit out of his dog...in which case he sucks for having a pussy dog). Maybe he could have just shot a few rounds into the ground or something to just scare the dog off w/ the noise...that probably would have worked. Oh well, armchair quarterbacking never solves any problems...we weren't there.

Ok, I am a proud owner of a Siberian Husky, who had a history of jumping fenced and running away. I got him as a rescue.

It is my responsibility to keep him undercontrol, infact any pet owner is responsible for that animal just as we are for our kids. If my dog gets loose and starts harrassing the neighbors, they have every reason to get pissed. I am not doing my job as a pet owner. In the 7 years I have had him he has gotten loose on me 3 times, and every time he came back when called, and it was a matter of a min or two before I got him back in the house. He is an escape artist, and it is up to me to always make sure I am one step ahead of him.

Having said that, most people do not understand that there are different types of dog fights, most of the time they are dominance or territorial, not battle to the death. Any moron that sticks there hand into any kind of a dog fight is gonna get bit. The Hose is a great idea, or you can use a 2x4 or something to seperate. There are far better ways of breaking up dog fights. Hell I bet if he shot the gun in the air it would have startled the dogs enough to make them stop...

Shooting the dog was fucking wrong, unless the dog had turned its attention fully on him. I also wonder if he was just "nipped" or did he need stitches?

Sigh, some people do not deserve dogs, they cannot handle them.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

To go back out once he's in a place of safety and cap the dog is a little hard to label as self defense.

not only that but to actually have shot the dog in the head on the first shot (the article says nothing of a second shot) is actually pretty darned suspicious.

I know a few guys who are amazing with a pistol...
a head shot while there is an active dogfight?...

that means you hit that dog in the head while both are spinning and tumbling and moving very fast.

hmmm:|

One thing that pisses me off about nearly all these types of stories is that it seems like it's hardly ever reported how these things pan out...

Additional news stories with a few more facts:

The shooter is a farmer, and retrieved a .22 rifle from his truck: Boston Globe

Police say they found no evidence of a fight with other dogs (the plot thickens): Turn-to-10

Ok, I don't know what the specifics are to this particular story, other than what the media has reported, but... Be responsible for your freakin' pets, people!!!

We have recently had trouble with something disturbing our fish pond, and I was under the assumption that it was a wild raccoon. But this morning I realized that it was a neighbor's cat when I caught it in the act. And seeing this cat in our backyard put a huge distress on MY cats, which are kept indoors unless they are supervised in our backyard. I ended up having to chase the neighbor cat away and then deal with my own cat that was distressed from this intrusion on our property.

A couple of days ago, we were out for a morning walk when two large dogs came running up to us, growling, one of them getting right up on me as if it might bite - I yelled "BACK!" at the top of my lungs and scared the thing away - its owner running up and putting its leash back on, apologizing, saying that they would never hurt anyone... Yeah, it will never hurt anyone if you keep it on its freakin' leash like you're supposed to.

Anyhow, I really am an animal lover, but not to the point that I'm going to let some idiot's animal hurt me or my property just because they choose not to control it. So if you really love your pet, keep it under control and keep it off of other people's property.

(Oh, and I almost got attacked by someone's pit bull at the place that I used to live, because they were letting it run loose, but don't even get me started on that! >:()

Man Shoots Dog in Self Defense

NEWS?

John, you know it's only 'News' if .... Dog shoots MAN!;)

Dog shoots man
Wednesday, August 18 1999

Updated 11:40 AM ET August 18, 1999
STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) - A German dog has shot and killed its owner, police said Wednesday.

The 51-year-old man, who had been out hunting with his shotgun, was found dead beside his car near the southwestern town of Bad Urach Monday.

Police ruled out suicide and foul play and said the gun must have gone off when the dog jumped on top of it on the car seat.

;)

-