billvon

Delay is out

Well, I must say term limits look pleasing more and more each year. I'm thinking if senators could serve no more than two terms (12 years), congressman no more than 6 terms (12 years) if we would all be better off.

It's said that Power doesn't Corrupt so much as Power attracts the Corruptible. So would we get a steady rotation of corruptible people? I can see the upside, at least they wouldn't be able to get too practiced at it before they had to step aside.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> So would we get a steady rotation of corruptible people?

Have congressional candidates generated by random, ten per region. Candidates are computer selected at random, pre-screened for:

-intelligence. Must have an IQ of at least 100 (or equivalent metric.)

-criminal background. No felons.

-education. All must be at least high school grads.

-employment. All must be employed more than 50% of the time since they left school full time.

-citizenship. Must be a citizen.

At least five _must_ run, and the winner of the election must serve a minimum of two years, during which time he makes his previous salary + 10% (or a minimum of X.)

I personally think that he should have stayed and fought. Either way, the Republicans will not lose this seat, the district is 80%+ registered Republican anyway.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Now we're talking.

Also (wish list) - they must be talented at their current job and not really WANT to serve but will do it out of duty.

Nice how you apply to the available candidate list, but still make the final choice based on elections. It avoids a statistical probability of loading up a lopsided government (politcal extremes) from pure dumb luck.

It would be funny, 5 guys honestly laying out their qualifications, then campaigning to lose because they don't really want their lives unsettled for a couple years....

Person with the most votes loses - and has to join congress.:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> I personally think that he should have stayed and fought.

I expect he got a lot of pressure from the GOP. He's no longer very electable; much better to drop out of the race than to run and to see a GOP leader lose to a newcomer.

>Either way, the Republicans will not lose this seat, the district is
>80%+ registered Republican anyway.

Right, but last time he only got 55% of the vote. Add the current scandals in his inner circle, and how people see him in the light of the Cunningham scandal, and he could lose that remaining 5%.

>they must be talented at their current job and not really WANT to
>serve but will do it out of duty.

Ideally, yeah, but you can't objectively select people based on those criteria. (and do you really want Johnny Cochran to get preference over a somewhat above average pediatrician?)

> I personally think that he should have stayed and fought.

I expect he got a lot of pressure from the GOP. He's no longer very electable; much better to drop out of the race than to run and to see a GOP leader lose to a newcomer.

Except, he wouldn't have lost. Though I do agree that he received a bit of pressure to drop from the race. It removes a handy target from the Dems campaigns. Not a bad move.

>Either way, the Republicans will not lose this seat, the district is
>80%+ registered Republican anyway.

Right, but last time he only got 55% of the vote. Add the current scandals in his inner circle, and how people see him in the light of the Cunningham scandal, and he could lose that remaining 5%.

That last percentage was a primary, which he just won last week. There are now three very capable men seeking that seat, and the Republicans can hold another primary to pick their candidate. There is no viable Democratic competitor in that district. It's akin to me trying to run for mayor of San Francisco. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's a good thing. He should leave.

However, I disagree with the comment by Amazon that, "If there is a single ethics violation they need to be removed from the political pig trough .....I dont care who the hell they are."

It's like removing all cars and drivers from the highway who have violated a law. There isn't a car and driver on the road that can't be ticketed for something. But the repercussions need to be more severe than they are now.

But you were for the Clinton Impeachment and probably removal...

>But why did he quit/resign?

His reason - he can be more effective outside the House than inside. (Heard him say that this morning in a radio interview.)

Other possible reasons - he has been indicted, two of his aides have pled guilty to conspiracy and fraud charges, and at least one has agreed to cooperate in a corruption probe. He's been linked to the Abramoff scandal as well. A third aide is now under investigation. Perhaps it's time to get while the getting's good. Heck, it's probably better for the republican party overall if Delay is no longer a prime symbol of the GOP when he's convicted.

Not to mention that it will save the party a ton of money. Dems were pooring a fortune into the race to defeat him. He, and the party would have had to respond. So, he is confident that the seat will remain republican if he gets out (and do it for a lot less money)

This whole thing is a dangerous predident regardless of your party affiliation:|

And impeaching a president for getting a BJ and lying about it isn't a dangerous political precedent???? Come on, let's pick 1 side of the fence here....

Good riddance...it's about time.

Ciels-
Michele

So, he is guilty just because he was charged? The attorney has to use 3 grand juries to get a charge?

Have your short time of enjoyment but he was targeted because he was good at what he did. He was effective. I believe he is more dangerous to your lefty leanings now than when he was in the office.

I love watching irrational responses to this.

But again, this is dangerous to both parties should this become common practice......

And impeaching presidents for sexual favors is even more dangerous...

>Except, he wouldn't have lost.

It would have been close - and one more relevation (like an aide fingering him) would have pushed it over the edge. And the GOP can't afford that kind of monumental loss.

And if convicted of a felony, wouldn't he have to resign even if he did win the seat? So that would put the Senate at a 99 Senator count, just like when Jeffords moved to Indep..... Not good for Repubs either way, they were lucky he, uh, cut-n-ran....

Good riddance...it's about time.

Ciels-
Michele

So, he is guilty just because he was charged? The attorney has to use 3 grand juries to get a charge?

Have your short time of enjoyment but he was targeted because he was good at what he did. He was effective. I believe he is more dangerous to your lefty leanings now than when he was in the office.

I love watching irrational responses to this.

But again, this is dangerous to both parties should this become common practice......

And impeaching presidents for sexual favors is even more dangerous...

No...impeaching Presidents for perjury shouldn't be dangerous at all.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>And impeaching a president for getting a BJ and lying about it isn't a dangerous political precedent???? Come on, let's pick 1 side of the fence here....

You better look at your history again:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ah yes, it is back to the charge is what counts

Last count it was 4 times he has been brought up on ethics violations but never really charged by his wonderful collegues who are in control of the house.

Its only back in Texas.. where he has been actually charged for atual criminal charges.