Scoop

Full time mother!? WTF

Does anybody else get annoyed when you hear the term 'full time mother'?

Really gets on my nerves for some reason. It isn't an occupation so it doesn't count.

I normally politely and calmly then ask them "and what do you do for work?". You can get the classic, "I haven't got time to work and look after children" comment which just infuriates me even more.

My Mum was single Mother and worked 2 part time jobs so she could safely drop me off and pick me up from school and go out in evening to work again when I was asleep.

What is there that needs to be done during the 6/7 hours they are at school? I think its just lazy!

When I ask someone what they do for a living when I'm working and they tell me full time mother, I scribble down UNEMPLOYED in my notebook. Mwahaha :ph34r:

[/end of rant]

Women do what they must to survive, but motherhood is a full-time job, and those who fail to recognize that...well...

I was a single mother, and I worked full-time in an office. My daughter and I missed out on a lot--school events, time together. And I certainly didn't have any time for myself.

We don't stop being people just because we're parents, Scoop, even if we have a tough row to hoe.

Someday, when you have kids of your own, get back to me on this.

In the meantime, I suggest that if someone tells you she is a homemaker, writing down "unemployed" is poor policework.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

if a woman has 3 children than being a full time mother isn't so hard to envision.

Bull. It is a full time experience (at least for 18 years each kid) but to say that excludes the possibility of someone working...... My mother and father both worked full time jobs an raised us 3 kids. We were not "latch key kids" either. We were never left alone, nor did we have babysitters. They chose to work it out so one worked nights while the other was on days. Both RN's
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's not a profession though. Bearing in mind the people I deal with aren't your average decent people who work hard and make the decision to look after the kids.

They don't work because they know they will receive benefits and have their rent paid yet they still have enough money for digital television, cigarettes, drink and drugs.

They ARE lazy

It's not a profession though. Bearing in mind the people I deal with aren't your average decent people who work hard and make the decision to look after the kids.

They don't work because they know they will receive benefits and have their rent paid yet they still have enough money for digital television, cigarettes, drink and drugs.

They ARE lazy

Then maybe you should shoot them.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It isn't an occupation so it doesn't count.

Raising children is more than just a job and with little appreciation.

What is there that needs to be done during the 6/7 hours they are at school? I think its just lazy!

Housechores, errand running, shopping for what is needed to provide a comfortable home, cooking... just to name a few. The majority of women I know who do not "work" a wage paying job and stay at home do more in a day than most people do in a week. These women are NOT lazy. If a woman does have an spouse who can provide the financial end then more power to her for her decision to remain at the house and do what needs to be done.
Unless you know, first hand, a persons particular situation, saying what you just did is unfounded.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Guest 1010
Truly the most ignorant post I've ever read in Speaker's Corner ... and that is saying something. I'd be interested in your thoughts (and those of the Mom) ... when you become a Dad. ;)

Clue ... meet Scoop. Scoop, meet Clue.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Bull. It is a full time experience (at least for 18 years each kid) but to say that excludes the possibility of someone working......

Never said it was. I know people who work two full time jobs. Is that bull to? Does that make one an experience?

Having and raising children is a full time job. It is not an experience, it is hard work.

Does anybody else get annoyed when you hear the term 'full time mother'?[

No, not annoyed-just envious.

Really gets on my nerves for some reason. It isn't an occupation so it doesn't count

I agree, I don't think of it as an occupation either, rather a luxury.;)

What is there that needs to be done during the 6/7 hours they are at school? I think its just lazy

There's always laundry to do:P

When I ask someone what they do for a living when I'm working and they tell me full time mother, I scribble down UNEMPLOYED in my notebook. Mwahaha :ph34r:

:)
I'd love to be called unemployed by you;)
Ok, so I'm a full time mother....but I also have a full time job. I consider myself fortunate enough to have a Mon-Fri 8:00-4:30 job, but would love to stay home with my 8 month old. I also have a very athletic 11 year old daughter who always has some sort of practice, game, or fundraiser going on. It's not always easy being a full time mom and working full time--but it's "doable". I do it everyday. Just because I work a full time job doesn't mean that I'm merely a part time mom. Sometimes I think it might even make me (personally) a better mom because I truly treasure my evenings and weekends with my children. I don't take anything for granted with them. When it comes to the end of the day, I'm genuinely happy to see them instead of looking for someone to take them off of my hands.

Sorry for the drift--again, no it doesn't annoy me--I simply wish I had the luxury of being considered "unemployed" by you.;)

You and I would get along really well.

I'm a full time dog mom. LOL

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

Because when someone uses the phrase "Full Time Mother" it's very often an excuse. Or providing "validation". What? The want a medal? I guarentee neither of my parents would have ever answered that question in that way. My older sister is what you would call a "Full time mother" and if asked what she does, she'll reply "unemployed".

Call a spade a spade.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Guest 1010
>My older sister is what you would call a "Full time mother" and if asked what she does, she'll reply "unemployed".

fine, but then she is "unemployed" at the most important job she will ever have :S

in our society "unemployed" is a derogatory term, if you mean to disassociate it from being so then sure, she is "unemployed." I'm not too bright but I'm pretty sure the OP was being pejorative in his use of the word. :|

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Because when someone uses the phrase "Full Time Mother" it's very often an excuse. Or providing "validation". What? The want a medal? I guarentee neither of my parents would have ever answered that question in that way. My older sister is what you would call a "Full time mother" and if asked what she does, she'll reply "unemployed".

Call a spade a spade.

During the time I was "unemployed" when Beck was small (a couple of months while I was married to my ex-husband), I worked harder than I ever did when I was employed.

rl

People have no right to say the woman who stays at home to care for her children is less productive than a mother working full time at the office>:(

but that's just because of the connotation of using the word "unemployed". I don't think child rearing is non-productive. I'd still call it unemployed by definition though.

I don't know many stay at home parents that feel guilty. But the ones I do know can afford to and it's great for the kids. (In my immediate family of 4 kids, there are 2 stay at home moms, 1 stay at home dad, and one where both work).

If I said "and one where both work outside the home" would that be more sensitive? (I believe all 8 of the parents actually 'work' if we want to pick nits.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>My older sister is what you would call a "Full time mother" and if asked what she does, she'll reply "unemployed".

fine, but then she is "unemployed" at the most important job she will ever have :S

in our society "unemployed" is a derogatory term, if you mean to disassociate it from being so then sure, she is "unemployed." I'm not too bright but I'm pretty sure the OP was being pejorative in his use of the word. :|

To be accurate, a stay at home mom is not unemployed - she is not actively LOOKING for work, thus not considered "unemployed". Economics 101 anyone?

I just like things to be simple. Not making things up to sound good! Like how an office worker becomes an office executive or, my paticular favourite, when an insurance assesor calls themselves engineers? What do you design/build/fabricate then?

I have absolutely no doubt its hard work and one day I'd love to have an income sufficient to allow my partner to stay at home to look after our children. BUT ITS NOT A JOB! You don't get paid for it, your not going to get a mothers pension etc

It is hard work. But its not 'work'

...and please dont tell me it takes 7 hours to do household chores everyday. What do you do, redecorate a room instead of cleaning it? ;)

Um, excuse me, but being a full time mother is a lot of work.:S

People have no right to say the woman who stays at home to care for her children is less productive than a mother working full time at the office>:(

Once your kids are school-aged, then I'd say it IS less productive to be a full-time mom than to be a mom who works outside the home. But productivity isn't really the issue I don't think.

Either way, if a woman chooses to stay home with her kids, then that's GREAT! If she chooses to be a mother with a job outside the home, then that's GREAT too. What I truly appreciate is the ability to choose. It hasn't been all that long that we women didn't have much choice where that's concerned.

No doubt it's a lot harder being a mom with a paying job than being a mom who stays home with her kids. Days I'm home with my child are SO relaxing. When a mom works, she doesn't stop being a mom. That job's ALWAYS there. But yeah....being a mom at all is a lot of work.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Get the kids up, dressed, fed and off to school, clean up the breakfast dishes and the house, do the shopping, pick up the kids from school, get them a snack and started on their homework, clean up the snack dishes and get dinner started, keep the kids focused on their homework, get dinner on the table, do dinner dishes, get the kids cleaned up and in bed, do the laundry...

And finally get to bed yourself.

Repeat the next day.

That doesn't sound like "work" to you? If not, why don't you give it a try?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706