chadkal

celebrating Christmas

Okay, I was just wondering,................why would anyone who is not a christian celebrate the birth of Jesus. NO matter how you look at it or how commercial you make it or how much secular bs you try and add to it. Christmas is still the celebration of the birth of Christ my savior. I just find it odd that others who do not believe would participate in such a holiday. Kind of like people who are not Jewish celebrating Hanukkah

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

I dont celebrate jesus christ's birth.

I dont celebrate yule either.

However, the society in which I live traditionally gives each other gifts and has a rare day together with family and friends and thinks happy thoughts for a while.

fictional winter gods and imaginary babies notwithstanding.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Every time a person wishes another MERRY CHRISTMAS, they inadvertantly acknowledge that they are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ....whether they wish to admit it or not.

Every single Christmas "light" that is turned on, is also a recognition of His birth.

Giving presents is also a celebration of the gifts the wise men gave to Baby Jesus, and recognition of His birth.

A person who does not believe in either God or Jesus is taking an active part in the celebration of His birth.....whether they want to admit it or not.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS>

Bill Cole

Giving presents is also a celebration of the gifts the wise men gave to Baby Jesus, and recognition of His birth.

of course they don't do that during Hanukkah either... what are those Jews thinking :S

How many times do people need to post a stupid degrading thread like this?? Who gives a flying f&#k if someone celebrates christmas or not - its a time to get together with family, and because most business' recognize it as a holiday, getting together with family and friends is just how it happens.

Just cause someone doesn't agree with you and windcatcher and 'celebrates' this time of year doesn't mean they are degrading what you celebrate.... seriously, get over it.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I find it odd that others who are of a different religion (Muslim for example) at my place of work take the christmas period off and are allowed the 'bank holiday' days (christmas day, boxing day etc) as days off, when they then also expect they're own religous 'holidays' as days off - gratis.

Is this a common thing? Its a bit like smokers who work on average 8 hours a week less than a non-smoker because of the smoking breaks in their day I guess.

You've never heard of a Hanukkah bush? Oi vay!

Many do not define Christmas the way you do "the celebration of the birth of Christ my savior".
That is the root of the celebration, it is the Christian meaning, but Christmas has for many become a more generic holiday, a time to appreciate friends and family, without much religion to it for many others.

I hope you, your family and others of your congregation find joy and hope in your celebration of this Christian celebration. For me, I'll find joy in the spirit of sharing with my family, friends and community.

Merry Christmas!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Every time a person wishes another MERRY CHRISTMAS, they inadvertantly acknowledge that they are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ....whether they wish to admit it or not.

Every single Christmas "light" that is turned on, is also a recognition of His birth.

A person who does not believe in either God or Jesus is taking an active part in the celebration of His birth.....whether they want to admit it or not.

Of course, I dont agree but hope that you enjoy your Christmas anyway.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Actually the root is the celebration of the winter solstice, the gods doing a handoff into the new year yadda yadda..

1. christians build churches on pagan holy sites (which is why if you go to the UK and europe you'll find abbeys and churches in the weirdest places - like the middle of fields).

2. christians put their high holidays over the pagan ones.

conclusion: pagans dont give a shit WHERE they celebrate, so the christian churches are filled with pagans - who have to sit thru the christian fairy story rather than their own fairy stories.

Ostara/easter is the same thing. Eggs, rabbits, chocolate, goldfish, linking logs.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Actually the root is the celebration of the winter solstice, the gods doing a handoff into the new year yadda yadda..

1. christians build churches on pagan holy sites (which is why if you go to the UK and europe you'll find abbeys and churches in the weirdest places - like the middle of fields).

2. christians put their high holidays over the pagan ones.

conclusion: pagans dont give a shit WHERE they celebrate, so the christian churches are filled with pagans - who have to sit thru the christian fairy story rather than their own fairy stories.

Ostara/easter is the same thing. Eggs, rabbits, chocolate, goldfish, linking logs.

Sometimes I get a smile out of the way you think and your conclusions. I like this one. B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Okay, I was just wondering,................why would anyone who is not a christian celebrate the birth of Jesus. NO matter how you look at it or how commercial you make it or how much secular bs you try and add to it. Christmas is still the celebration of the birth of Christ my savior. I just find it odd that others who do not believe would participate in such a holiday. Kind of like people who are not Jewish celebrating Hanukkah

We don't. And Thailand is a totally Buddhist country so no one celebrates Christmas, it's just another excuse for malls to have sales - so that's all that Christmas is in this part of the world - a shopping season.

Of course you don't agree....but in doing those practices, you are inadvertantly acknowledging Christ's birth, and acknowledgment is celebrating it.

I disagree. I acknowledge the belief system of others and respect that. I understand that they believe that their savior was born on Christmas. And I do wish them a Merry Christmas, for I do wish them well on their special day of celebration.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Of course you don't agree....but in doing those practices, you are inadvertantly acknowledging Christ's birth, and acknowledgment is celebrating it.

Of course you don't / won't agree, but it doesnt make it any less so.

bill Cole

Happy Hanukkah Bill!

why would you get so upset????????????
How is this a degrading post???????????

I in no way posted this to offend anyone, And I don't care if you celebrate Christmas or not.

Nor in anyway do I feel like someone else who does celebrate without belief is degrading what I celebrate. So there is nothing to "get over" as you put it.

I am just asking the question to find out why you would celebrate that which you don't believe in.................seriously, nothing to get upset about.

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

>why would anyone who is not a christian celebrate the birth of Jesus.

I celebrate Halloween, which was originally a pagan holiday. (Actually rooted in Druidic lore, but later named after All Hallow's Eve, to 'transform' it into an acceptable practice.)

>Every time a person wishes another MERRY CHRISTMAS, they
>inadvertantly acknowledge that they are celebrating the birth of
> Jesus Christ....whether they wish to admit it or not.

And every time you give a kid candy on Halloween, you're celebrating ancient Druidic (i.e. pagan) rituals - whether you admit it or not.

why would you get so upset????????????
How is this a degrading post???????????

In in no way posted this to offend anyone, And I don't care if you selebrate Christmas or not.

Nor in anyway do I feel like someone else who does celebrate without belief is degrading what I celebrate. So there is nothing to "get over" as you put it.

I am just asking the question to find out why you would celebrate that which you don't believe in.................seriously, nothing to get upset about.

Why celebrate Jesus's birth on December 25th, when that is NOT his birthday.

It is certainly midwinter, however, and for thousands of years people have had midwinter celebrations around the time of the Solstice.

Exact time of 2005 Winter Solstice is Dec 21 at 18:35 GMT

My Solstice Tree is up and decorated!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

no those of us who do some reaserch realise that there are many things that have crossed over from other beleifs. This is true of any culture. The tree came from a pagan ritual.

It still is pagan. Christians don't own the midwinter celebration.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.