windcatcher

Why do you celebrate Christmas?

And Easter?
I was just curious as to why holidays such as Easter and Christmas are celebrated by those who could care less about Christ.
If you are not a Christian, but say "Merry Christmas", what's your motive?

I am just curious;)

because there is more to the Holidays than any single religions narrow emphasis..

because i enjoy the time with my friends and family.

because not having to go to work and still being paid is CERTAINLY worthy of celebration.

because i really dont need an excuse to celebrate Life at all.. but people dont glare as much when they think they understand you....

B|

We celebrate Christmas because it is fun to give and receive, because we love the way the kids light up, and primarily because it is a time when we get together with family from far away. We are not religious (follow no organized religion anyway), but I abhor political correctness and refuse to call it Winter Holiday. I know of no other culture outside the US that works so hard to sanitize their heritage and deny their traditions for the sake of being PC.

I also feel justified, and not a hypocrite, because all the Christian holidays are borrowed from pagan rituals that were in existence long before Christ.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I know of no other culture outside the US that works so hard to sanitize their heritage and deny their traditions for the sake of being PC.

This is in no way an attempt at US-bashing, but I can't help thinking the same when I read the 'Protestors at the funeral' thread.

I was just curious as to why holidays such as Easter and Christmas are celebrated by those who could care less about Christ.
If you are not a Christian, but say "Merry Christmas", what's your motive?

I am not a Christian.
The great annual cycle of Earth takes us through the seasons. I celebrate the change in the seasons, the beauty of nature, and I celebrate life.

I choose to live in B.C. Canada. In-between looming mountains and hidden among forests, scattered around pristine lakes and rivers or clasping onto the oceans edge, lays my four-season playground.

I celebrate in the spring season, usually around March, the local wineries and vineyards start their wine season Spring also brings the ritual of the “Burning of the Vines”. A mostly, April event… where burning the winter prunings from the previous season sends the nutrients back into the ground to Mother Earth. I celebrate when my spring bulbs bloom and I get to work in my garden. I celebrate when the weather brings altitude for skydiving.

The summer season brings sunshine and outdoor events. Around the middle to end of June, I celebrate with a seafood gala. I celebrate “Harvest Weekend” in Fall, as it is time to get "graped."

I celebrate when nature takes my breath away like seeing the breakers from the open Pacific arrive in British Columbia on the outer coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands, one of the most beautiful and diverse landscapes in the world.
I celebrate when I see the lush orchards and vineyards, fertile irrigated croplands, low rolling hills, and a string of beautiful lakes that line the Okanagan Valley.
I celebrate when I visit Hornby Island, just off the east coast of Vancouver Island, a rugged, seductive mix of northwest rainforest and magnificent warm-water swimming beaches.
I celebrate when I see killer whales in the Gulf Islands, or Canadain Lynx, or a baby racoon practising its tree-climbing skills, or a pod of resident orcas cavorting in the Haro Strait near Victoria.

B.C. rawks!
:PB|:P

Oh winter! One never, never loses the surprise and wonder of new fallen snow, that inexplainable something that touches the core of your innermost being as you stand in your nightie shivering and amazed at the pure glory of the transformation.
Emily Carr

I celebrate when it snows in the winter, the crystalline peace it brings. I celebrate when I reach the top of Whistler Mtn.

My family has many traditions in December (Vancouver B.C.)
We always attend together the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival Dec 21. Winter Peace in a Chinese Garden. In the spirit of the holiday season, the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden invites all to experience the peace and tranquility in this special oasis.

We attend an Old Fashioned Skating rink at Canlan Ice Sports with 200 real Christmas trees, Thousands of lights, Santa’s House, The 8’ snowman.

We traditionally take the Horse and Carriage Rides around Downtown Langley. Cost of the ride is bringing a donation of non-perishable food or toys.

We attend the Festival of Lights at Van Dusen Botanical Garden. The central acres of Van Dusen Gardens are transformed into a holiday magic land with seasonal displays and over 20,000 twinkling lights.

We enjoy the winter annual Sailpast at White Rock pier.

Every year we take part in the annual winter Backyard Bird Count: tracking the bird population. (Lynn Valley Ecology Centre, North Vancouver)

We take time to enjoy the pond in Winter at Lost Lagoon Nature House, Stanley Park.

These warm and festive celebrations are filled with live music, roving performers, holiday craft workshops, blazing bonfires, hot cocoa and marshmellows and of course, beautiful lights and decorated christmas trees.

Christmas holidays is the time for me to celebrate life with friends and family gathered together exchanging hand made gifts, eating, drinking, and laughing long into the deep, dark night.
My motive to scream "Merry Christmas" and to all a good night!

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

...If you are not a Christian, but say "Merry Christmas", what's your motive?

I am just curious;)

Respect for others

(no high-horse attitude intended)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For those who arent ameri-centric Xmas/Yule is pretty much the universal 'go home and see family' day.

I'm still trying to get my head around Thanksgiving.

I dislike Thanksgiving even more than Christmas. I hate turkey (but my mom always gave me lobster instead, and my first mother-in-law cooked Italian), and without fail, Thanksgiving was a gray, rainy day.

It worked out pretty well, because I was always willing to let my daughter's father have her on most of the holidays--it got me off the hook and he got to have the family together. Her stepmother was especially pleased to have all the kids together for the worst of the Hallmark Holidays: Mother's Day.

Gak!

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

My family is not religeous, so we just get together because there is no work.

Lots of food and salads and swimming and suntanning and ice cream and drinks and watermelon and litchis and and and....

We stopped the presents pretence when we were all old enough and we decide to rather reward ourselves with something we really want as a reward for working hard though the year.

It is more of a chilled, all get together and relax kind of day!
Easter? I don't think I have ever been around for that holiday anyway, no work and lots of holidays.
Bad TV and too much chocolate. Blah :P Don't like chocolate.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Respect! B|

Was gonna say the exact same thing. I have one of those a-lot-more-than-40-hours-a-week type jobs and being able to be at the DZ on a weekday is pure coolness.

It's a nice time-out period where ya get to relax with friends and family and catch up on things.