windcatcher

Why do you celebrate Christmas?

And Easter?
I was just curious as to why holidays such as Easter and Christmas are celebrated by those who could care less about Christ.
If you are not a Christian, but say "Merry Christmas", what's your motive?

I am just curious;)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I guess for a lot of people, having grown up with all the Christmas traditions, it's hard to shake them off if you're not a Christian in an everyday way of life. It's ingrained in their unconscious, especially if they have kids.

I do wonder how the pure atheists who have kids handle the holidays... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>I was just curious as to why holidays such as Easter and Christmas
>are celebrated by those who could care less about Christ.

Same reason I go to church with my family. Because a big part of religion (the most important part, in my opinion) is the community that surrounds all the sometimes-silly details of what saint did what to who on which day. What matters most during christmas is not that someone was born on that day, it is that people are gathered in rememberance of that. It is the gathering that's the important part.

And Easter?
I was just curious as to why holidays such as Easter and Christmas are celebrated by those who could care less about Christ.

I am just curious;)

It's a good a time as any to get naked and over-indulge in just about anything pleasurable. Or do you celebrate in some other way??? :)
Christians, however, are some real latecomers in claiming the seasonal holiday as their own.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/xmas.htm
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

What matters most during christmas is not that someone was crucified on that day, it is that people are gathered in rememberance of that.

Was that intentional or were you actually referencing the former "pegan" holiday that came before the Christan meaning on Dec. 25th?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nope, just typing too fast.

Christ's birth is celebrated during Christmas, on Dec 25th. His actual birthdate is subject to much debate, but is probably closer to Jan 6.

Christ's death is commemorated during Easter. In 2006, it will be celebrated in western churches on Apr 16; in orthodox churches on Apr 23. Apr 7th is a common estimate of the actual date.

But again, the dates themselves aren't that important. What is important is that people gather together in rememberance of him.

Christmas: to celebrate the birth of pine trees
Easter: to celebrate the revival of eggs

Did I win anything?:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

For the same reason you celebrate Christ's birthday on a day which, by close examination of various passages in the Bible, he was not.** Because that's a day/time "almost everyone" celebrates. I use the word christmas because it's convienent, and i don't think Frank Costanza's Festivas will ever catch on.

**Some of the possible reasons christmas is when it is has more to do with: (i copied and pasted the following)

-- The 25th December was celebrated in ancient days as the birthday of the unconquerable SUN god, (variously know as Tammuz, Mithra, Saturn, Adonis or BAAL) centuries before Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem.
-- Nowhere in the Bible are believers in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob required to celebrate Christmas.
-- The early Christian church did not celebrate Christmas. Instead it celebrated the sacred festivals mentioned in the Bible, in Leviticus chapter 23.
-- In order to win Gentile converts to the Christian faith, the Roman Church, centuries after the apostolic era, adopted this ancient pagan winter festival of the SUN god and renamed it 'Christmas' mistakenly thinking that it would honour the SON of God.

Another few hundred years and i predict there will be little to no mention of Christ on christmas, but the holiday will still be celebrated as a day for putting corporations in the black while we put ourselves in the red ;)

Christmas: to celebrate the birth of pine trees
Easter: to celebrate the revival of eggs

Did I win anything?:|

Aren't you supposed to be packing up for your Shanghia trip?? :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

But again, the dates themselves aren't that important. What is important is that people gather together in rememberance of him.

Right. Too bad for corporate America its all about the $$, hence the decerations in October and so forth.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

His actual birthdate is subject to much debate, but is probably closer to Jan 6.

Actually Jan. 6th is just the day that greek orthodox churches celebrate the epiphany. Which could mean christ's nativity or his baptisim.

I had always heard that if you look at the accounts of Christ's birth in the bible, it was most likely in the Fall

His actual birthdate is subject to much debate, but is probably closer to Jan 6.

Actually Jan. 6th is just the day that greek orthodox churches celebrate the epiphany. Which could mean christ's nativity or his baptisim.

I had always heard that if you look at the accounts of Christ's birth in the bible, it was most likely in the Fall

Figures! 9 months after Valentine's day.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

>I had always heard that if you look at the accounts of Christ's birth in
>the bible, it was most likely in the Fall.

Well, Nov 6 is a date that came out of the writings of Clement of Alexandria, who said "From the birth of Christ, therefore, to the death of Commodus are, in all, a hundred and ninety-four years, one month, thirteen days." Since the death of Commodus was known they could count backwards. But other sources point to other dates.

You are referring to the average Christian, right? I'm an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas in any way.

I only say it in response to somebody saying it first. The reason is simple politeness.

Ciao

Vale

And Easter?

I am just curious;)

I don't celebrate Christmas, or most other holidays, for that matter.

When my daughter was little, I did the Christmas gig because it's important to my mother, and there was no way my daughter would understand the disconnect. Over the years, however, she came to understand that it was not something I did because of a particular belief, but because I was indulging both her and her grandmother.

I don't do it anymore. I hate the entire season.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I dont really celebrate either.

My kid celebrates Yule and Ostara with my ex, coincidentally they occur at around the same time of year but have a much longer history than that jonny come lately religion you call Christianity.

Yule is when the something something winter aspects does something and Ostara is the other alternate aspect of something something something.

Christians stole it because they knew it would be tough to erradicate the two biggest pagan festivals that the converts really enjoyed celebrating, then stuck their god on there.

It's the same reason that if you travel around the UK you can find churches and abbeys in the most fucked up places imaginable. Build a church on a pagan religious site - the pagans dont give a shit if theres a roof where they want to worship their gods, and the church got to say 'hey, we converted all these people'.

Xmas simply perpetuates Yule.

people say merry Xmas or happy holidays where im from because we're so fucking tired of Xtians saying stupid stuff about putting the CHRIST in CHRISTMAS!!!

Screw that, give me my presents, my candy and now leave me the fuck alone to enjoy them without any sanctimonious prat telling me to think about others.

There's a reason my family have always wrapped any gifts in plain black paper for me. And why my spouse hides her little 2' tree in the spare room so I dont set light to it.

It's the same reason I'll say "Jesus Fucking CHRIST!!!" or "God damned motherfucker" when I'm angry - it's social impact is pervasive and difficult to ignore. Like a herpes sore on a really hot girls lip.

edited: because I realized I wasnt being insulting enough.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

-- The 25th December was celebrated in ancient days as the birthday of the unconquerable SUN god, (variously know as Tammuz, Mithra, Saturn, Adonis or BAAL) centuries before Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem. ... The early Christian church did not celebrate Christmas. Instead it celebrated the sacred festivals mentioned in the Bible, in Leviticus chapter 23.
-- In order to win Gentile converts to the Christian faith, the Roman Church, centuries after the apostolic era, adopted this ancient pagan winter festival of the SUN god and renamed it 'Christmas' mistakenly thinking that it would honour the SON of God.;)

Your historical view is correct, but the question was why do YOU celebrate CHRISTmas. Me? Whether it was a tradition of the early church or not, I believe it is a valid one. I celebrate Christ's humble arrival into our world! Merry CHRISTmas!B|

steveOrino

Simple we (Muslims) believe in Jesus and respect Christianity so you may not find a Christmas tree or bright decorations at my house but you well get a sincere Marry Christmas from me and that's what it is all about.:)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain