Black Woman Executed in Texas

I’ve read an article in a Swiss newspaper today regarding this case.
They say that the woman did not admit the crime.
They found no blood prints on her clothes even she was supposed to be very close to the victims when she shot them.
Her defender is not allowed to defend people with death penalties anymore because of incompetence.
The ballistic proof that leads to her condemnation comes from a lab that has been in the headlines for manipulating evidence.
I don’t think this case is a case of racism.
I think this case proofs again that the US law system does not work.
If you are a criminal in the US, you can commit any crime and with enough money you can buy yourself out (like OJ or Jacko). But if you are a poor guy they will kill you because you can not afford a private defense counsel.
And as mentioned before, I think it is a shame that a country with a large Christian population is on the same level as China and Saudi Arabia.
The Bible (New Testament) doubtless is against the death penalty.

Edit for spelling
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I’ve read an article in a Swiss newspaper today regarding this case.
They say that the woman did not admit the crime.
They found no blood prints on her clothes even she was supposed to be very close to the victims when she shot them.
Her defender is not allowed to defend people with death penalties anymore because of incompetence.
The ballistic proof that leads to her condemnation comes from a lab that has been in the headlines for manipulating evidence.
I don’t think this case is a case of racism.
I think this case proofs again that the US law system does not work.
If you are a criminal in the US, you can commit any crime and with enough money you can buy yourself out (like OJ or Jacko). But if you are a poor guy they will kill you because you can not afford a private defense counsel.
And as mentioned before, I think it is a shame that a country with a large Christian population is on the same level as China and Saudi Arabia.
The Bible (New Testament) doubtless is against the death penalty.

Edit for spelling

You're saying that based on something printed in a Swiss newspaper about a case in Texas 20 years ago?

:S

I live close to where it happened (Houston, TX). I read the same stuff in the local newspaper. Some of the stuff is doubtful, some isn't.

But the HPD crime lab (which was involved) does have a very checkered history right now.

On the other hand, I disagree with Mikki_ZH that the US justice system doesn't work. It almost always does. The problem is that while a jury can declare someone guilty or innocent, that doesn't change what actually happened in the commission of a crime.

I'll leave her actual innocence or guilt to others. But we Texans do seem to be pretty gleeful about executing people sometimes. It's not a sport.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Apparently he's right though: http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/11/29/usdom9741.htm

As I do when ever this issue comes up here I'll post this link also to a charity group of UK lawyers who go to the states to try and make sure death row inmates get access to at least a little competent legal advice. http://www.amicus-alj.org/

In the Economist there was a little graph about people in prison. The US has 700+ people in prison per million. The UK and France have 100+, and Japan has under 60.

Now Japan is very homogeneous, with strong cultural push towards conformity. But that doesn't describe either England or France. While the parallels aren't direct, I'm not sure that the US is 7 times as diverse as France or Britain, or that Americans are that much more violent. And if we are, wouldn't that be a bad thing instead of a good thing?

Wendy W.
(edit to remove "reply to" -- it wasn't)

Look at the population in the U.S. prison and think about what percentage of them come from Europe. That will start to make more sense, as the numbers will start to close in. Then take a look at why the leftover people who descend from Europe are in the U.S. prison system. When you take out illegal drug use and white collar crimes which are often addressed with a higher severity in the U.S. the number will close in even more.
In the end you won't like what you find but like a good liberal, you can just pretend you don't see the obvious correlation.

If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

How does that analysis explain Japan? I don't believe they're European.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Look at the population in the U.S. prison and think about what percentage of them come from Europe. That will start to make more sense, as the numbers will start to close in. Then take a look at why the leftover people who descend from Europe are in the U.S. prison system. When you take out illegal drug use and white collar crimes which are often addressed with a higher severity in the U.S. the number will close in even more.
In the end you won't like what you find but like a good liberal, you can just pretend you don't see the obvious correlation.

Now that's just funny. :S

How does that analysis explain Japan? I don't believe they're European.

Wendy W.

It doesn't explain Japan but that is a separate issue. It does explain the difference between Europe and the U.S. though.
I think you had Japan accurate with the statement about a strong cultural push toward conformity.

Can't see I see what is funny, but whatever.
Cheers,

Cheers,

What do you understand to be "white-collar" crime?

Cheers,

Tax evasion is the most common one. But here is a list from a search White Collar Crimes -- Corporate crime waves, business scams, workplace ethics, identity theft, fraud, credit card crimes and more...

Cheers,

Tax evasion is the most common one. But here is a list from a search White Collar Crimes -- Corporate crime waves, business scams, workplace ethics, identity theft, fraud, credit card crimes and more...

Eh, ok. Relative to the rest of the world, I can see where they might be severe, but I think the punishment for white collar crimes are nowhere near as harsh as they should be for some offenses, mainly with the CEO's and others that cost thousands of people everything they had (enron, etc....).

Here is a link to the article I remember reading in the Houston Chronicle.

There are rules of evidence. But, again -- declaration of guilt does not make one guilty. Really. I do think that having new technology to go over old evidence would be a proactively good thing when you're talking about prison and the death penalty.

Here is a link to the George Rodriguez case; another one where the HPD crime lab was quite sure.

I don't know if she was guilty or innocent. But there really is a lot of evidence that she got shafted on the way to the death house. Just because someone thinks she's guilty doesn't make her so. And just because someone has "LLB" or "JD" by their name doesn't make them competent.

Wendy W.

There is punishment for committing a crime and the punishment in the Great State of Texas for murder can bring you the Death penilty. So if you find yourself strapped down and the happy juice flowing into your veins, you have only yourself to blame.

Unless you are innocent, don't say it doesn't happen.

If I thought the justice system was perfect then there are probably some crimes I would be in favour of the death penalty for. But it isn't perfect, and when you look at it what is capital punishment for? It's not about prison space, it sure ain't about cost and it doesn't seem to work as detterent, that just leaves revenge. To me revenge does not justify killing any innocent people, yet that is what is happening.

What really really gets me is when someone is arrested for a particularly nasty crime and all of a sudden people start calling for summary execution, no trial. WTF? It's like the more heinous the crime, the less important it is to get the right person. Just as long as someone is punished to make us feel better then its all good.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Unless you are innocent, don't say it doesn't happen.

OK, but if I have a person on video clearly showing the crime and the murder of innocent people, there should not be several appeals and 18 years on death row.

Swift judgement, taking no more than 6 months to a year.

>Unless you are innocent, don't say it doesn't happen.

OK, but if I have a person on video clearly showing the crime and the murder of innocent people, there should not be several appeals and 18 years on death row.

Swift judgement, taking no more than 6 months to a year.

I've seen lots of interesting video, showing space battles, trips to the center of the Earth, time travel, dinosaurs, etc. No evidence is beyond manipulation. And as we've seen in a number of cases, the states' crime labs and prosecutors are not above manipulating evidence.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What quality of video, is it cell phone, handicam, black and white cctv? For how long does the suspect appear on tape, are there frames with clear frontal and side on shots of his face? Is he wearing a cap, hoodie, balaclava or other item that could obscure his features?

It is impossible to draw a line between what does or does not constitute cast iron evidence with no possibility of error. Any system that utilises capital punishment will encounter cases where people are executed on less than certain evidence.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What really really gets me is when someone is arrested for a particularly nasty crime and all of a sudden people start calling for summary execution, no trial. WTF? It's like the more heinous the crime, the less important it is to get the right person. Just as long as someone is punished to make us feel better then its all good.

That's exactly how it is in the USA !
Need proof?
Look at 9-11. Bin Laden was pronounced to be the guilty party. No trial, no proof ,not even an indictment .
Couldn't find him so tens of thousands of innocent Afghanis and Iraqis are punished.
"Shock and Awe" and all that crap!
Instead of protesting Americans paste flags on their cars and say "Hell Yeah!!" en-masse.
And the Chimp in Chief now says that he doesn't care about Bin Laden! Kinda fucked up Justice. Don't you agree?

Blues,
Cliff