rhino

Barbara Bush Says Katrina May Have Been A Help For Poor Evacuees

Full quote:

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overhwlemed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)--this is working very well for them."

Well, if you buy into the theory that they are most likely criminals, and criminals (as we all know only go to jail to get free housing and food), then she might not be too far off :P

Disclaimer for the sarcastic impaired..
At no time did I say I bought into this theory or shared the beliefs.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

>What reality does she live in?

A somewhat isolated one. Another quote from her:

"Why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's, it's not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

For some of these people who were really poor, it might actually turn out to be a good thing. Before Katrina, they were tucked away in New Orleans where no one ever thought about them. Now they have a whole country of people who are interested in giving them jobs and helping them. Some might end up with better lives than they had before.

For some of these people who were really poor, it might actually turn out to be a good thing. Before Katrina, they were tucked away in New Orleans where no one ever thought about them. Now they have a whole country of people who are interested in giving them jobs and helping them. Some might end up with better lives than they had before.

I hope your right.. It would be nice to see something good come from this mess. :|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dis nou mooi. Dis nou baie mooi!

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow today and missing something that's probably very obvious. But what does that mean? Is it Afrikaans? Being that you're a moderator, I'm sure it's something remotely meaningful that contributes to the convo and I'm just missing something. Right?

edited to add quote

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

"Why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's, it's not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

With quotes as blatant as this one, you could get accused of making stuff up. It's from a March 18, 2003 Good Morning America interview with Diane Sawyer.

Her reality is the same isolated reality lil W was raised in, and I'm sure his view isn't a whole lot different.

Absolutely disgusting.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

And this is the woman that raised our President. hmmm....

Heavens, that might lend credibility to what the First Lady said. Don't let the lefties know that. I can see they got a crosshair on her too. F**k**g sad.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And 9/11 was good for some of the victims' families, too, because they got decent-sized financial settlements. I believe that would be the parallel.

Sounds pretty stupid that way, doesn't it?

Yes, some people might come out better (heck, I benefitted from buying a house near a previously-undisclosed toxic waste site). Some people will profit. But if you focus on them, you don't see the bigger picture. If I look at the right part of my car I see shiny and new-looking, too :S

BTW, not all the people you meet in Iraq will be terrorists. Chances are, if you end up in front-line situations, not all of the people you shoot at will be terrorists, either. It's a whole picture. Both sides can always find something to focus on that will fit what they want to see. The challenge is to look to the parts you don't want to see.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't care about barbara bush, but you should use the full quote when quoting someone. That quote you posted from her is not nearly as bad as it seems when taken in context with her full saying she did.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Now i know where W gets his inherited eloquence from :P

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

It's kind of hard to bash a woman who has lived the kind of life she lives. I have an aunt who has the weirdest ideas about 'common people' because she's never really met any, except those who've been servants and stable-hands.

She lives in a very different reality than most people I know, but it's like believing in God - it's just how things are for her, you can't challenge or change how her mind interprets things - her social circle all live in that same world with the same attitudes and beliefs about 'commoners'.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

>but you should use the full quote when quoting someone.

No one reads long posts. And to quote a slightly larger chunk would no doubt bring protests from someone because that was out of context too. ("Why did you choose THOSE six paragraphs? Rest of the speech have too many facts for you?") Fortunately, google is available for anyone who wants to see the whole narrative.

i was actually thinking the same thing, but it was icredibly insenative to come out and say it. the truth is, many of these people had nothing, so they've lost nothing. at least now they have a $2000.00 debit card, job offers, and opportunities that weren't so obvious to them before.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

at least now they have a $2000.00 debit card, job offers, and opportunities that weren't so obvious to them before.

The debit card can be up to $2,000.00 Depending on the size of the family. I'm hoping there is some way they can check when a single person comes up to the Red Cross table claiming to have six children, trying to get the debit card with more money on it.

I'm all for helping these people out, they are after all fellow Americans. I'm just worried that the debit cards are also being handed out to drug addicts and people who want to scam the system.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm sure some are being handed out to drug addicts, and to people who won't use them wisely.

On the other hand, it's not easy to start over again with a family even if you have $2000. Clothes, furniture, bedding, towels, kitchen stuff, cleaning stuff, all the food staples that are "always around."

Even if you go to used-stuff stores and garage sales (I'm a long-time veteran of both) the money adds up, and if you're in an empty apartment, you can't necessarily wait until someone happens to sell the right number of beds, and you have to have the gasoline to go around to all those places to buy them.

It's a wonderful thing, and way beats the nothing that is the alternative, and will give people with some gumption a step up and out. And others will whine about it.

Anyone know of any large group of people with no whiners? Focus on the others, who will get ahead.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes, I agree, it's a wonderful thing. And there is no way a family can start over with only $2,000.

One side note. Wal-Mart said that they would hire employees that have no Wal-Mart to go back to work at in the LO area to other Wal-Marts. My son works at the local distribution center here, and he said that there will be 25 workers brought into the distribution center he works at. Good for Wal-Mart to step up like that, after having their store looted.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yup. Last week we bought a new mattress; the salesman had just gotten to that store from the NO store the day before.

Good salesman, too.

Wendy W.