CanuckInUSA

NHL Player Jeremy Roenick is a complete asshole

I'm so confused . . . I'm clearly out of my element with this sports-fan thing.

Aren't there any sports you enjoy watching? Such as skydiving? I don't understand how you can't understand the "sports-fan thing". If you don't like hockey, what about competitive sailing, tennis, golf, tiddlywinks? Surely there must have been some sports type of activity in which you played as a kid and can appreciate watching the best in the world do it.

Some think that being a sports fan is a sign of ignorance, like being a red-neck. I think this attitude is a sure sign of being a snob.

It is a form of entertainment. Do you enjoy movies, etc? A friend of mine ridicules those that follow - care so much about their favorite sport, but he likes to watch figure skating and can't explain why this is any different. Watching the best in the world do something you did as a kid (hockey/baseball/whatever), and knowing how difficult it actually is for them to do it so well, is entertaining.

Sports serves a valuable purpose. It allows people to hate another group without it being real. The world would be a better place if everyone could vent their anger against the rivals of their favorite team. Sorta like the movie Rollerball
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

. If you don't like hockey, what about competitive sailing, tennis, golf, tiddlywinks?

Tiddlywinks is a very dangerous sport for spectators.
As an observer of one particularly spirited match ,my wife became a dot-head and now owns a Cirkle -K.

Blues,
Cliff

>Aren't there any sports you enjoy watching? Such as skydiving?

I like watching some skydiving stuff, although I get sick of it pretty quickly even if it's not freeflying. I just like doing it a lot more.

>I don't understand how you can't understand the "sports-fan thing".
>If you don't like hockey, what about competitive sailing, tennis, golf,
>tiddlywinks?

I _do_ like hockey and sailing. Again, I just like doing them rather than watching them. I've gone to pro baseball and football games, but it's always been an opportunity to drink and hang out with my friends rather than a chance to see a bunch of people run around on a field. That's not to say that people who just watch rather than do are any less 'worthy' or anything; it just means everyone is different.

> Watching the best in the world do something you did as a kid
> (hockey/baseball/whatever), and knowing how difficult it actually
>is for them to do it so well, is entertaining.

And I have absolutely no problem with that. Whatever makes you happy. Some people like to watch sports. Some like to go to fancy parties, or wear expensive clothes, or have a fan club, or get to know movie stars, or whatever. All of that is fine. I just don't understand the attraction. Fortunately, since I don't do any of those things, I don't have to understand it.

I was once talking to a woman in a line waiting for a ferry ticket. She saw my shirt (it said something about skydiving) and she asked me about it. "I will never understand that," she said. "I just can't see risking my life just so I can say I jumped out of an airplane." She was driving a Jaguar up to Connecticut and had a lot of makeup and expensive-looking jewelry on. It was on the tip of my tounge to say "I just can't see wasting so much money and time on making myself look like something I'm not" but I didn't, because that would have been mean. But neither one of us _had_ to understand the other - we were both happy doing what we were doing, and that's the important part.

>Sports serves a valuable purpose. It allows people to hate another
> group without it being real. The world would be a better place if
> everyone could vent their anger against the rivals of their favorite
> team.

No argument there, but some of us don't really need a vent, or we're better at sublimating it into other things (like building things, or whatever.)

I like watching some skydiving stuff, although I get sick of it pretty quickly even if it's not freeflying.

:D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>They don't play hockey they watch hockey recreationally. Without
>them there would be no professional hockey league.

>In my analogy you don't fly a plane you jump recreationally.

Wait, so in your analogy the reason we go to DZ's is so we can watch the pilots fly? I jumped a tiger moth once and saw the pilot do some loops and spins on the way down but I don't think thats why I bought the jump ticket.:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I agree to some extent but compared to Basket ball, Baseball or Football the hockey players make the least amount of money and play more games and are always on the move. ..

They do not sit around and wait for a fly ball, or go after the quarterback, then rest for 30 seconds the do it again. They should be paid more money but the owners are the greedy ones.

They do not sit around and wait for a fly ball, or go after the quarterback, then rest for 30 seconds the do it again.

Some elite defensemen in the NHL play up to 32 or 33 minutes of the game. Forwards may play up to 23 or 25 minutes per game, if they are in great shape!

The average shift for a player in a hockey game is, what, 42 seconds? Then they rest for the next minute and a half...

I agree with you in prinicpal, but I thought I'd go ahead and point out that hockey players get rest because of how much they need it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I agree to some extent but compared to Basket ball, Baseball or Football the hockey players make the least amount of money and play more games and are always on the move. ..

They played *0* games last year.

In a regular year, they play the same number as basketball players do. Half as many as baseball.

The average shift for a player in a hockey game is, what, 42 seconds? Then they rest for the next minute and a half...

If you have played hockey on any level, you know what an incredible effort is involved....I don't think it compares to being an outfielder in baseball...

If you have played hockey on any level, you know what an incredible effort is involved....I don't think it compares to being an outfielder in baseball...

playing pro hockey does require a lot of stamina. Then again, so does soccer. However, the champ of all stamina sports is probably water polo... then again, I could be wrong.

In hockey, you fall, you definitely fall HARD. That ice just does not give. You fall going pretty fast in one direction, you slide all the way into the wall, or something... :S but fun to watch! I like hockey since it's about the only sport you get to watch players get into fights with the referees acting as boxing referees... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's why I said in my post that they gwet all of that rest because they need it!:)
And to the other poster, water polo is demanding. But there is no sport as demanding as boxing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And to the other poster, water polo is demanding. But there is no sport as demanding as boxing.

With the Tour de France aproaching again how could anyone dispute that the king of endurance/power sports is road cycling.

With the Tour de France aproaching again how could anyone dispute that the king of endurance/power sports is road cycling.

Bastard. Beat me to it...:)
So who's your tip - the truly INCREDIBLE LA again ? It's hard to imagine him being beaten. Australians, by and large, REALLY like to see true champions get done and done good but I don't know anyone who's interested in cycling who doesn't want to see Lance win again...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...

So who's your tip - the truly INCREDIBLE LA again ? It's hard to imagine him being beaten.

Well, seeing as how Jan Ullrich has consistently failed to deliver, and so many other competitors have been hyped up and then destroyed it really is tough to imagine anyone beating Armstrong on the French roads.B|

Thing is though because cycling is so low profile here I don't really follow it outside the major events (though that may change now that I've got my first proper road bike) so I don't know who's in form, or who's been getting results in recent races.

Whatever happens I'm just happy its time for the TdF and I can sit back and watch it all unfold.:)

Australians, by and large, REALLY like to see true champions get done and done good

So, uh, does that apply to the Aussie team in the Ashes?:P:D

Well, seeing as how Jan Ullrich has consistently failed to deliver, and so many other

Poor old Ullrich - the unluckiest cyclist alive. I don't think he's ever failed to deliver it's just that LA has delivered more. Imagine being as good as he is and having to compete in the same era as LA. Poor bastard...

Whatever happens I'm just happy its time for the TdF and I can sit back and watch it all unfold.:)

We get it live here for the FIRST time on free to air TV.:)

Australians, by and large, REALLY like to see true champions get done and done good

So, uh, does that apply to the Aussie team in the Ashes?:P:D

Um ... YEP. I'm only really interested in watching two sports on the TV. Cycling and cricket. What I'd like to see is JU and LA having a ding-dong battle for yellow in the TdF and Oz and England having a decent stoush in the Ashes tests - stuff the one day rubbish. What I'd REALLY like to see is LA win the TdF and the Australian cricket team get narrowly beaten...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...

That's fine, as long as we all agree that skydiving is not a 'sport', but more of an activity, like bowling, chess, card playing, golf, hunting, and foxy boxing

that should get 'em going

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Poor old Ullrich - the unluckiest cyclist alive. I don't think he's ever failed to deliver it's just that LA has delivered more. Imagine being as good as he is and having to compete in the same era as LA. Poor bastard...

Yeah you could look at it that way, he is very talented, it just seems like he's never been as totally commited to training and racing.

We get it live here for the FIRST time on free to air TV.:)

NICE! We get daily highlights and weekend stages live, course I'll be at the DZ at weekends[:/].

What I'd REALLY like to see is LA win the TdF and the Australian cricket team get narrowly beaten...

I won't even try to make any predictions but narrow will surely be the word whichever way it goes. Aaah what a summer!:)

There's nothing unlucky about showing up fat for spring training. I remember a pothead on my high school track team that could still run sub 5 miles. Some people are just good enough to get away with that kind of shit and still be competitive. But they won't win.

His relative weakness in downhilling and his grinding of big gears on the uphill hurt him too.

There's nothing unlucky about showing up fat for spring training.

Yeah but.... You've got to remember that they ALL show up for the TdF a good percentage UNDER weight. They have to shave weight somewhere for the "hilly" stages and the best returns are from shedding some body weight. Perhaps he doesn't function well while that much under weight. I dunno....

He still scores brickbats for showing up in something less than peak TdF condition though.

His relative weakness in downhilling and his grinding of big gears on the uphill hurt him too.

Yep and that's really going to hurt him. Especially the big gear issue. LA spins like a demon which means that he can change speed a LOT easier than someone pushing a big gear. If the required speed and the grade was constant then you go with what's most efficient. Clearly in JU's case grinding it out in a big gear is the way to go for efficiency - it limits his responses though.

The one day cricket was about as close as you can get - a tie...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...

i love hockey and always will, but i think the players AND the owners have fucked themselves. fact: hockey is losing money. fact: hockey has the lowest ratings of any of the major sports. fact: they were only $12 million away from an agreement that would have ended the lockout and allowed an abbreviated season for 05/06.
fuck 'em, i will stick with the CHL/IHL/QMJHL.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...