unformed

Poll: on Banning Smoking

I'm wondering how far this banning smoking thing's gonna go:

Question: Do you support banning smoking in bars/restaurants, and would you support banning smoking everywhere outdoors (I'm not talking about national parks, but more like standing outside a bar)?
This ad space for sale.

I'm a big fan of idiot signs in huge letters on all entrances to an establishment.

"This business allows cigarette and cigar smoking. If you do not wish to be exposed to cigarette or cigar smoke, please feel free to patronize another establishment."

or

"This is a smoke-free environment. If you wish to smoke while eating or drinking, please feel free to patronize another establishment."

You could even put directions to the closest smoking/non-smoking establishment. A savvy business owner would own both places.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yeap - what he said.

Smoking is pretty disgusting (IMO) but go ahead if you need to or cann't stop.. But I want and deserve, no part of it thanks.

In the UK, I'll also help to pay for your treatment (oh make no mistake, you will need it!) because I do NOT support limitation on public health care based upon personal passions/past-times etc.. because that would be the thin end of the wedge and they will come after others for so called self inflicted injuries (Sports, motocycling...SKYDIVING accidents) if it suits their polical standpoint.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

an so you should have the option NOT to go into a bar or resturant that DOES allow smoking...

let the citizens vote with their patronage, the government doenst need to ban anything..

I'm a big fan of idiot signs in huge letters on all entrances to an establishment.

"This business allows cigarette and cigar smoking. If you do not wish to be exposed to cigarette or cigar smoke, please feel free to patronize another establishment."

or

"This is a smoke-free environment. If you wish to smoke while eating or drinking, please feel free to patronize another establishment."

You could even put directions to the closest smoking/non-smoking establishment. A savvy business owner would own both places.

Blues,
Dave

Amen. Actually a very savvy business owner pulled that off right next to where I live. The law in Florida is a place can't allow smoking if more than 30% of revenues come from food. He had a restaurant/bar. He opened up a bar right next to it, and said, "If you want any food, you can place an order with the waitress and she will go next door to get it." That way they're not serving food (but it is available) so smoking is allowed; and the regular restaurant is also there for the nonsmokers.

Of course, both of his places are banking.
This ad space for sale.

i voted for choice number one.

this whole "smoking ban" thing is ridiculous. i'm sure a lot of you will agree world hunger, children dying every day, the economy and civil unrest will put this topic in perspective rather quickly. get over it.

if you want to get upset about something, let's discuss health care since it affects every sky diver regardless of race, gender creed etc...my life insurance policy was dropped like an anvil in the atlantic when i started sky diving, if i'm injured during a sky diving activity, i am on my own financially. if some one gets hurt, killed or injured during sky diving operations and does not have good health care, now that up sets me because it costs all of us tons of money for that person not being responsible for themselves. not to mention the negative attention it brings with it. smoking bans? c'mon, think about it.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

i voted for choice number one.

this whole "smoking ban" thing is ridiculous. i'm sure a lot of you will agree world hunger, children dying every day, the economy and civil unrest will put this topic in perspective rather quickly. get over it.

I agree, and standby the smoking ban. Reduce the illness due to exposure to second-hand smoke, and funnel the saved healthcare dollars to all those ends.

either way, this whole smoking ban is a done deal. live with it. spend your positive energy on something you can change instead of whipping the proverbial dead horse. know what i mean? have a great day.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

A savvy business owner would own both places.

You right wing capitalist nuts make me sick :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I only smoke when I'm out drinking and I can honestly say that I enjoy going outside a bar for a smoke. It gives me something to do and gives me the chance to meet all the other naughty smokers. I don't see what's such a big deal about it.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I don’t see how on one hand people are screaming to ban smoking in all public places and at the same time your tax dollars are going to subsidize the tobacco industry and farmers. Pick one people.

If you’re so concerned with public health in general stop whining about people smoking around you and get your elected reps to stop sending money to something you think is SO detrimental to the public health. O ya and while your out saving the world can you please ban cell phones in public places? All those microwaves are making my brain hurt.

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

I support banning smoking in all public buildings and stores/restaurants/bars/nightclubs. The only exceptions would be those places that cater specifically to smokers.

Also, I want to see it made unlawful to smoke in a car with any children inside! I get so pissed when I see a mother smoking with her kids in the backseat with the windows either open a crack or not at all!! >:( Believe me, I've experienced it, and I fucking hated it...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I support banning smoking in all public buildings and stores/restaurants/bars/nightclubs. The only exceptions would be those places that cater specifically to smokers.

Also, I want to see it made unlawful to smoke in a car with any children inside! I get so pissed when I see a mother smoking with her kids in the backseat with the windows either open a crack or not at all!! >:( Believe me, I've experienced it, and I fucking hated it...

Right there with ya. I was one of those kids subjected to smoke. Hated it. But ironically, I loved to pretend to smoke, all through my childhood. It's amazing that I didn't grow up to smoke for real.

I appreciate the bans in restaurants, malls, stores and workplaces.

As far as I'm concerned, I hate government intrusion, but this is one case where it is justified. NOT justified to ban it outdoors, as in public parks, etc. though. And cigarette butts as litter is not a reason to try to ban it outdoors, either. There's all kinds of litter: no one is banning McDonald's just because their wrappers are 90% of the shit litter you see around town and on the highways. If you want to end litter, you don't do it by banning the items that are littered.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

There's all kinds of litter: no one is banning McDonald's just because their wrappers are 90% of the shit litter you see around town and on the highways. If you want to end litter, you don't do it by banning the items that are littered.

-Jeffrey

True... though I would love to see the rednecks banned from my town so I won't have to pick up two giant garbage bags worth of Natural Light beer cans strewn on my property along the road, every year! I have about 800 feet of roadfront property so it's a chore... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don’t see how on one hand people are screaming to ban smoking in all public places and at the same time your tax dollars are going to subsidize the tobacco industry and farmers. Pick one people.

If you’re so concerned with public health in general stop whining about people smoking around you and get your elected reps to stop sending money to something you think is SO detrimental to the public health. O ya and while your out saving the world can you please ban cell phones in public places? All those microwaves are making my brain hurt.

In a representative Democracy we have virtually zero choice in the matter, so there is no contradiction.

If there was a vote on a measure to quit subsidizing tobacco farmers I'm betting it would pass. If it didn't it would be due to some other piggybacked legislation being attached.

I like it (not really) when you guys throw in cell phone usage, autos and other neccessities with the use of cigs as dangerous medium. That's ridiculous. A drug addiction as compared to mass communication devices or mass transportation vehicles. Ya, ok.

Just a thought, not directing this at anyone, but you smokers should know and probably can't tell due to desensitization of smelling, but your breath smells like someone took a shit in your mouth. I say that with no vex, just the facts. Do you think other people, non-smokers, want to talk close up to you? If that chick inthe office is uninterested, think about that. Actually, don't change a thing - less comp :D

as a smoker i have no problem smoking outside of a bar. I am totally in favor of the law. I always hated being indoors when its all smoky. Also gives us a chance to mingle with some other people.

That's considerate and if all had attitudes like this these laws would probably never see ink.

I only smoke when I'm out drinking and I can honestly say that I enjoy going outside a bar for a smoke. It gives me something to do and gives me the chance to meet all the other naughty smokers. I don't see what's such a big deal about it.

Me either...

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/research_data/health_consequences/mortali.htm

Annually, exposure to secondhand smoke (or environmental tobacco smoke) causes an estimated 3,000 deaths from lung cancer among American adults.4 Scientific studies also link secondhand smoke with heart disease.

Diseases Among Infants 1,711

All Causes 418,690

55,000 people per year die on our roads in the act of trying to transport to work, play, etc and we have strict driving laws. More than 7 times that die related to smoking and we complain about legislation that barely removes it from public exposure? What a joke to whine about it.

Besides, you look cute and...

http://www.craigentinny.co.uk/FreshBreath/index.htm

http://health.yahoo.com/health/centers/smoke_free/1.html

Visible and Immediate Rewards of Quitting
Quitting helps stop the damaging effects of tobacco on your appearance including:

Premature wrinkling of the skin
Bad breath
Stained teeth
Gum disease
Bad smelling clothes and hair
Yellow fingernails

Do you think no one notices?

I think smoking should be banned in public, city-owned areas like sidewalks, civic centers, parks and places like that. Your right to smoke ends where my right to breathe begins. I don't want to be standing in line waiting to renew my passport and be stuck breathing someone's cigarette smoke. Ditto with airplanes.

With regards to private buildings, let the business owners decide. People will vote with their wallet. I also don't see a problem with smoking and non smoking sections of arenas and stadiums, smoking and non smoking movies, etc...

I think smoking should be banned in public, city-owned areas like sidewalks, civic centers, parks and places like that. Your right to smoke ends where my right to breathe begins. I don't want to be standing in line waiting to renew my passport and be stuck breathing someone's cigarette smoke. Ditto with airplanes.

What do lines at the post office or inside planes have to do with sidewalks, parks, etc? Should they go into an alley?

There's enough room outside to share airspace.