windcatcher

What Is Your Opinion On Feminists???

I heard a statement from one of my female professors the other day, talking about feminists.She stated that feminists have taken the desire of wanting equality with men, and taken it a step further, wanting to be above men. I have to agree with her on this subject. What do you think???

( and yes, I know I could get badly flamed for that statement:))
I agree with my teacher; we women shouldn't be trying to become superior to men:S---equal is good though:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

>She stated that feminists have taken the desire of wanting equality
>with men, and taken it a step further, wanting to be above men.

Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. I don't know many women who do not believe in that principle.

Now, there may well be people who think men should be subordinate to women; there are plenty of people out there who believe the opposite. However, neither type of person is a feminist per the definition.

Your professor is attributing the actions of the extremists of feminism to all feminists. yeah, I do think the far out feminists already think they are above men and have a bitter, angry ax to grind.

Most self proclaimed "feminists" I know seem ok and either have real issues they are concerned with or propaganda they've bought into. Like anybody, you got to take them one at a time as individuals. There is much merit in Equal pay and consideration for Equal performance/productivity.

Unforetunately, most stats used have little to do with productivity rather just demographics. I think a productivity comparison (Bob and Helen both saved the company $15M last year in projects they ran, but don't have equal pay or positions - either one is overcompensated or one is ndercompensated based on peer review) would help bolster the arguments better.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd call that peopleinism, but that's just me.

Inventing words is funnalicious, after all.

Seriously, feminism in general has a slightly negative connotation to it for many. While I support people who fit in Billvon's description on feminist, I tend to try to stay away from people who try to make non issues a battlefield.

"You won't pack for me coz I am a woman! You packed for that guy over there! Sexist"
"No, I won't pack for you because I don't like you. The dude over there is my friend."
You don't like me because I am a WOMAN!"
"Uhhm, you're a woman?"

Same conversation, exchange woman for man. Both have happened to me.

Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. I don't know many people who do not believe in that principle.

Fixed it for you.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I heard a statement from one of my female professors the other day, talking about feminists.She stated that feminists have taken the desire of wanting equality with men, and taken it a step further, wanting to be above men. I have to agree with her on this subject. What do you think???

Where are the facts to back up what your professor is teaching, or is it just her opinion?

I don't want to be above men. Hell, I love having them open doors, take out the garbage, bring me coffee in the morning................and etc.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

They bring you coffee in the morning???

Right before I kick them out in the morning:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

She stated that feminists have taken the desire of wanting equality with men, and taken it a step further, wanting to be above men.

How so? Are there people saying that women should make more for the same amount of work? Are there people that say that women should get the upper management positions in corporations? I have not met anyone like that. But, in what ways does she think that others want women superior to men?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Look at the feminist movement? What does it stand for? Is the feminist movement about "equality?" Or, does it stand for other things.

I decided to do a quick search on the leading group, the National Organization for Women. In their issues section, they listed the following issues:

Abortion Rights / Reproductive Issues
Affirmative Action
Constitutional Equality
Disability Rights
Economic Equity
Family
Fighting the Right
Global Feminism
Health
Judicial Nominations
Legislation
Lesbian Rights
Marriage Equality
Media Activism
Working for Peace
Racial and Ethnic Diversity
Social Security
Title IX
Violence Against Women
Welfare
Women-Friendly Workplace
Women in the Military
Young Feminism

Now, among those, I see many that do not seemed to be linked AT ALL to the issue of female equality. Fighting the right? Health? Social Security? Racial and Ethnic diversity?

Indeed, if you think about it, "ethnic diversity" would mean tolerance of burkas.

The feminist movement used to be about equal pay for equal work and equal rights. Now, the "feminist" movement seems to have been distorted into its own subculture for which those original goals are secondary or tertiary. And that's a shame, because those original goalds have noit been reached,[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thank you. Great post!!!!

Now, the "feminist" movement seems to have been distorted into its own subculture for which those original goals are secondary or tertiary. And that's a shame, because those original goalds have noit been reached,

Darn good point.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

> Look at the feminist movement? What does it stand for? Is the
>feminist movement about "equality?" Or, does it stand for other things.

I think the feminist movement is like the right-to-life movement. Most people in the RTL movement are quite reasonable people, but it's easy to notice the ones who bomb abortion clinics and kill doctors - even if they are only a tiny fringe of the RTL movement.

>Now, among those, I see many that do not seemed to be linked
>AT ALL to the issue of female equality.

True of most organizations. The top issue on the National Right to Life page (for example) is ending filibusters, and how you can help. What does congressional procedure have to do with abortion? It takes a bit of reading to realize that they want pro-life judges nominated, and by ending a filibuster they can help that happen.

Your professor is attributing the actions of the extremists of feminism to all feminists. yeah, I do think the far out feminists already think they are above men and have a bitter, angry ax to grind.

I'd have to agree with this. I consider myself to be a feminist of the "old school," which means that women should have equal access.

Which includes
- drug studies not basing their conclusions on men only
- "people being comfortable with you in the workplace" isn't shorthand for "we're guys and are more comfortable with guys"
- yes, equal pay for equallly valuable work
- things like job sharing that make traditionally female roles (like "primary caretaker of infant") easier to manage with work

Of course, the offshoot of many of these is that thinking about them will make some of these same things accessible to other groups -- minorities, and men (that "primary caretaker of parent" thing). It's not equal right now. Even some ardent "feminists" look askance at fathers who become primary caregivers, and mothers who "allow that to happen." That's just as wrong.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

great points bill. And you also knwo that the RTL people were PRO filibuster between 4 and 12 years ago.

And you know that NOW was against Senate intervention of federal judge nominations during that same time.

My main problem with feminism? It isn't meant to support all women. Indeed, "if all women are created equal" then Juanita Broderick would have been defended as staunchly as Anita Hill.

Unfortunately, those most prominent in the movement are not blind to the political spectrum - they are, in fact, blinded by it.

I'd call that peopleinism, but that's just me.

Inventing words is funnalicious, after all.

Seriously, feminism in general has a slightly negative connotation to it for many. While I support people who fit in Billvon's description on feminist, I tend to try to stay away from people who try to make non issues a battlefield.

"You won't pack for me coz I am a woman! You packed for that guy over there! Sexist"
"No, I won't pack for you because I don't like you. The dude over there is my friend."
You don't like me because I am a WOMAN!"
"Uhhm, you're a woman?"

Same conversation, exchange woman for man. Both have happened to me.

Alright, you've been discovered.... this is George Bush isn't it? :o

>My main problem with feminism? It isn't meant to support all women.

I think that's true of a small segment of vocal extremists in the movement, but not true of feminists in general.

My bad. That came out wrong.

>My main problem with feminism? It isn't meant to support all women.

I think that's true of a small segment of vocal extremists in the movement, but not true of feminists in general.

Do you really think that's true? Women who work outside the home, for example, so often snub women who choose to stay home and raise their children....and vice versa. Maybe these women aren't feminists.... I don't really know exactly how that's really defined. Mimi Abramovitz would define feminism in much narrower and more extreme terms than I would.

Although I am pretty well educated and relatively independent, I really, really, REALLY like for a man to pamper me. I like to be treated "differently" than a man would treat his buddy. Although I do consider myself a bit of a feminist, there are other people on this site who absolutely believe that the way I like to be treated is discriminatory toward women. I, personally, would hate to see a time when I'm not treated like a lady by a man. Is that unfeminist of me? Is that unsupportable by feminists? Some of them? Most? I don't know.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You really can't count NOW as a feminist group anymore. They lost credibility years ago. Probably the worst of the self-promoting political money collection vehicles. They remain conspiciously silent in the face of the worst of actions when it fits their political purpose.

People discussing feminism also need to identify whether they are discussing Equity feminism (equal pay, education, opportunity) or Gender feminism. The goals are widely different.

>Do you really think that's true? Women who work outside the home, for
>example, so often snub women who choose to stay home and raise their
> children....and vice versa.

I don't think that's a feminist vs everyone else issue, that's a ford vs chevy issue. As long as you have the same _opportunity_ to either work or stay at home, that is.

>Although I am pretty well educated and relatively independent, I really,
>really, REALLY like for a man to pamper me. I like to be treated
>"differently" than a man would treat his buddy.

Again, the definition of feminism just means that you have the same opportunity to do that that anyone else does. Some more extreme feminists would say that any woman who gets a traditionally feminine job, or plays a traditionally feminine role in a relationship, is some sort of loser. But that's not feminisim, that's sexism.

( and yes, I know I could get badly flamed for that statement:))
I agree with my teacher; we women shouldn't be trying to become superior to men:S---equal is good though:)

Considering how utterly pussified our culture and society have become, I think they have succeeded.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I regard feminism as the radical notion that women are people.

Mind you, I don't really care as long as my dinner's on the table when I get home.