tbrown

Teri Schiavo Execution in Florida

I definitely see things more from a spiritual point of view rather than scientific. I guess that's what makes it interesting around here. We all come from different perspectives.

no religion or belief can claim a moratorium on 'spirituality'. Quite clearly (to everyone but her parents and the zealots) her spirit is no longer present. Or would you argue that the things that make her unique from everyone else are still present and trapped inside the husk that reamains?

if "God' cared 'He' would have let her body die when her mind did 12 years ago... instead of putting her parents through 12 years of unending grief and sorrow. She's been gone for a long while... but her parents just cant seem to let go because the shell still moves... and that is the saddest part of all...

i wonder if the people arguing for the parents have completely missed their statements as to exactly [I]what[/I] they would be willing to do to keep her alive... by any and all medical means, including amputation should it become necessary due to her deteriorating condition

apparently they’ve lost the capacity to think rationally on the issue of their daughter’s best interests….hope can be terrible thing...

if "God' cared 'He' would have let her body die when her mind did 12 years ago... instead of putting her parents through 12 years of unending grief and sorrow. She's been gone for a long while... but her parents just cant seem to let go because the shell still moves... and that is the saddest part of all...

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. God loves us, he just likes to tst our faith. :S
This ad space for sale.

if "God' cared 'He' would have let her body die when her mind did 12 years ago... instead of putting her parents through 12 years of unending grief and sorrow.

Excuse me??? I normally don't get involved in discussions like this, but who are you to decide what God's motives are? If her situation serves no other purpose but to encourage people to get an Advanced Medical Directives done and that eases the pain and suffering for many familys in the future, then something good came from this. I don't know if this is what we are supposed to learn from this but for you to say it is because God doesn't care is pretty pompous.

I definitely see things more from a spiritual point of view rather than scientific. I guess that's what makes it interesting around here. We all come from different perspectives.

no religion or belief can claim a moratorium on 'spirituality'. Quite clearly (to everyone but her parents and the zealots) her spirit is no longer present. Or would you argue that the things that make her unique from everyone else are still present and trapped inside the husk that reamains?

i wonder if the people arguing for the parents have completely missed their statements as to exactly [I]what[/I] they would be willing to do to keep her alive... by any and all medical means, including amputation should it become necessary due to her deteriorating condition

apparently they’ve lost the capacity to think rationally on the issue of their daughter’s best interests….hope can be terrible thing...

There is no god. God was the figment of someones imagination used to enslave people. Look at all the slaves to invisible gods all around the world. Many do great and violent things in the name of their invisible god.

US Supreme Court declined to take up the case...

which is quite appropriate, IMO.

Good.

This has been the most egregious example of overstepping constitutional bounds by the executive branch that I think I've ever seen.

For once, the judiciary seem to be doing the job that they are meant to, in this case protecting the states against an overt assault of blatant federalism.

Particularly obnoxious when you consider that while the GOP was out of power, they were the party of state's rights.

Good quote today from the Schindlers:

"It appears every legal option has just been exhausted," the Rev. Patrick Mahoney, spokesman for the Schindlers, said after Thursday's Supreme Court decision. "Gov. Bush is now the only practical hope here for Terri Schiavo."

Who else to turn to when you need something illegal done?

>Last I heard Gov. Bush was trying to get legal custody of Teri to get
>the tube put back in.

He tried; he was denied by the court. Will he try to do it anyway? It would put the police in an uncomfortable position. Obey an order from the governor that's clearly illegal?

if "God' cared 'He' would have let her body die when her mind did 12 years ago... instead of putting her parents through 12 years of unending grief and sorrow.

Excuse me??? I normally don't get involved in discussions like this, but who are you to decide what God's motives are? If her situation serves no other purpose but to encourage people to get an Advanced Medical Directives done and that eases the pain and suffering for many familys in the future, then something good came from this. I don't know if this is what we are supposed to learn from this but for you to say it is because God doesn't care is pretty pompous.

very simple.. i know what "God" and "His" motives are, the same way his followers do, I read his past actions and statements as accounted in his "one true word". You can read it for yourself.. Perhaps you should, and pay careful attention to the character of “God” and the number of contradictory positions he takes throughout the tale, its quite an enlightening on the actual basis of that particular religion.…

apparently her parents were meant to suffer through 12 years of sorrow and emotional agony... one could suppose that will make them better people, and that the lesson is to teach the rest of American society to get their wishes legally documented in writing to prevent the next parental unit slavishly devoted to a particular religious interpretation from keeping your husk alive. But its pretty clear it has instead left them broken, bitter, emotionally, and financially drained while she dies anyway… after dragging them through years of unnecessary torment …...

if she had simply died initially, they would have grieved and then already gotten on with their lives...but as the beliefs of their chosen religion contributed to a complete unwillingness to let her go when she was really already gone….

apparently "happiness" isnt included in "God's Plan… hence “God doesn’t care” and some people are meant to suffer.

capitalized intentionally... pay attention to details

This has been the most egregious example of overstepping constitutional bounds by the executive branch that I think I've ever seen.

For once, the judiciary seem to be doing the job that they are meant to, in this case protecting the states against an overt assault of blatant federalism.

It is especially mindblowing when GWB sais that the "executive and
legistative brach have to err on the side of life". These are exactly
the two branches of government that no frigging buisness
intervening in an individual legal case. We are governed by
people who don't appear to have the first clue about the most
basic principes of government - separation of powers, what each
branch is stands for, due process, etc. It's probably no accident that
the guy occasionally invents the "administrative branch" and other
curiosities. In his words - that's "Extra sad".

With this amount of overstepping of competence the judges circled
the wagons and protected their branch - there was no way any of
them - no matter what of political couleur - could have given in to
this BS.

Next to the violation of sepration of power and due process I'd find
the violation of state rights the lesser evil (evil nonetheless).
It'd be interesting to see though if this will create a split between
the "process conservatives" and the "social conservatives"

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

I'm just wondering of the people here who have responded, who has had anyone in their family on a feeding tube?:| I have...and I watched my grandmother die for over a year...Thanks to missing documentation that would have taken the question of putting her on a feeding tube, out of our hands, we were told that she would die of starvation if it wasn't inserted...

If she were on a ventilator, everyone would say "pull the plug"...but she is literally starving and dying of thirst...Luckily, I didn't have to watch my grandmother die such a horrible death...nature eventually took it's course...

My question is:

If this was someone close to you...important to you...a loved one who you care about deeply, would you have the courage to "pull the plug," or remove the tube?

I know my family's wishes...and I have told eveyone how I feel...but now I know that I must get it in writing and make it legal so that no one person...who can claim whatever they want for insurance money or get married to their current sweetie, that if I am in a specific condition that I want to live or die...

I think that Micheal Shiavo should have had to take the tube out himself and sit with her everyday and watch her die...Cruel and unusual you say? In this case, I think he should see why her family is suffering...:|...

~R+R:|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

>If she were on a ventilator, everyone would say "pull the plug"...but she
>is literally starving and dying of thirst...

How is that any better or worse than suffocating? (other than it's slower)

I've heard a lot of "but it's just food, it's not extraordinary means!" Well, air isn't unusual either. But when you need a tube down your throat to breathe normally, and someone with a bag or a big machine to drive the air in and out, that's extraordinary care.

>If this was someone close to you...important to you...a loved one who
>you care about deeply, would you have the courage to "pull the plug,"
>or remove the tube?

Yes.

>but now I know that I must get it in writing and make it legal so that no
> one person...who can claim whatever they want for insurance money or
> get married to their current sweetie, that if I am in a specific condition
>that I want to live or die...

I specifically _don't_ want to get specific conditions in writing because Amy (a surgeon) is a much better judge of any medical situation I might find myself in. No document I write will be able to take into account all the things that can happen to me; fortunately I don't have to. We've already discussed what we want to have happen if either one of us is injured with little chance of recovery.

>I think that Micheal Shiavo should have had to take the tube out himself
> and sit with her everyday and watch her die...

You would make him sit there for 15 years? Would you be OK with your family forced to sit by your side for the same amount of time?

How is that any better or worse than suffocating? (other than it's slower)

I've heard a lot of "but it's just food, it's not extraordinary means!" Well, air isn't unusual either. But when you need a tube down your throat to breathe normally, and someone with a bag or a big machine to drive the air in and out, that's extraordinary care.

It is different because despite her lack of brain activity, she looks awake and aware even though she is not...If a person is in a coma and unconcious, people would not question the idea of pulling the plug, and neither would I, especially if the wishes of the individual were known.

>If this was someone close to you...important to you...a loved one who
>you care about deeply, would you have the courage to "pull the plug,"
>or remove the tube?

Yes.

I am truly glad to hear that, seriously, I know too many people who wouldn't think of it, even though they said they understood and would comply with someone's wishes...It is important to understand the implications of your actions and realize what will happen when you remove a tube or pull the plug.

I specifically _don't_ want to get specific conditions in writing because Amy (a surgeon) is a much better judge of any medical situation I might find myself in. No document I write will be able to take into account all the things that can happen to me; fortunately I don't have to. We've already discussed what we want to have happen if either one of us is injured with little chance of recovery.

Having someone knowledgeable of medicine and close to you is a major plus. True, no documentation can clearly define what should happen in every situation, but I do know that I want to prevent some situations that might occur and I can do so through a living will...My grandmother did it for a reason, and she was a nurse for 36 years.

You would make him sit there for 15 years? Would you be OK with your family forced to sit by your side for the same amount of time?

No, I would make him well aware of the fact that her life is ending, and his seems to be beginning anew. He already has a new life waiting in the background of this mess, whereas the family of Terri is hoping for a miracle, and probably won't get it. On the news earlier today, I heard a rather wise suggestion: sit the "husband" or Micheal Shiavo and Terri's parents in a room and have them figure it out...because it seems to me...the only place for this argument is between those people who should and do care for Terri's best interests.

And my family would do whatever it took to take care of me no matter what condition I am in, have said so and hope they won't have to see me in Terri's condition, but they would know I wouldn't want to starve to death or die of thirst.

~R+R:|...Micheal Shiavo might have alterior motives for wanting his wife to die instead of getting a divorce...though that is sickening and terrible to think about, I think if enough money is on the line, he would do what he wanted to keep it...:|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

For about the hundreth time I can remember (a slight exaggeration) a Neurologist has explained that she is gone. Her brain is dead. She feels no pain, she is not aware of her surroundings, etc... There have only been a few Doctors that have disagreed with this (notice, only a few.). She has no idea that her body is dieing due to starvation. She doesn't feel hungry. Yes, if she were aware, this would be a horrible way to die...but she has no idea. Let her go...her parents need to stop being selfish, and allow her body to die (which is what her brain did....12 years ago)....
And to answer the question "what would I do?"...I'd pull the plugs and tubes personally if I had to. I never (and I do repeat never) want to exist in a condition like that (notice I didn't say live). No machines will ever keep me alive, if I have no chance of recovery. And I would do the same for any family member....

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

I reminded both my boys again tonight what I wanted and did not want when it was time for me to go. They both understood, and asked that I do the same to them.

Yes, I have a living will, but I just wanted to make sure they knew. I'll be seeing my parents in a month and I will go over what I want with them again. I will also ask them what they expect from me.

What I see that has cause the main problem here was that Teri's parents stepped in when they should have butted out. Terri was married and I'm sure she shared her thoughts and feelings with her husband.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

intervening in an individual legal case. We are governed by
people who don't appear to have the first clue about the most
basic principes of government - separation of powers, what each
branch is stands for, due process, etc. It's probably no accident that

With this amount of overstepping of competence the judges circled
the wagons and protected their branch - there was no way any of
them - no matter what of political couleur - could have given in to
this BS.

Cheers, T

intervening in an individual legal case.

Exactly, and on a related note, a maggot like Bush that rejected not 1 death warrant while governor of Texas, investigated maybe 1 or 2 at most, what's with this, "err onthe side of life" total maggot bullshit? His argumentational skills are as cogent as his English skills. Does he think Americans are as stupid as he is with as much hard drive space?

It's probably no accident that

On the Bushisms calemdar - very sad[:/] and funnyB|.

Why? Florida is part of the US gov - remeber 2000?

...if this will create a split between

IS that fiscal and moral consservatives, or another way to dichotomize the party? Just curious how you're splitting them.

It is different because despite her lack of brain activity, she looks awake and aware even though she is not...If a person is in a coma and unconcious, people would not question the idea of pulling the plug, and neither would I, especially if the wishes of the individual were known.

Yes, it is different. One is brain 'dead', irreversibly (Teri). The other is not and perhaps has a normal EEG (unconscious or coma). Very different.

Reflexive action, even with the sleep/wake intervals Teri has, does -not- mean she has higher brain activity. Don't let it fool you.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

>It is different because despite her lack of brain activity, she looks
>awake and aware even though she is not...

I agree that it seems different. She looks different than most people who have no brain activity, and thus we want to believe she's really OK. But in reality it is no different. She is in a coma with her eyes open and her brainstem working; all the things that made her a person are still gone.

I think one of the tragedies of this is that there are people out there who are telling whatever lies they can to "win". There are people saying she's fine, that she can talk and laugh and eat. They know it's not true, but if they can get enough people to believe, they can win - Teri and her husband be damned. And that means that well-meaning people, people who would not question the decision to terminate life support on a brain-dead relative, support the opposite position because of what they've been told.

>No, I would make him well aware of the fact that her life is ending,
> and his seems to be beginning anew.

He has had 15 years to realize that. That's longer than I've known my wife, most of my friends, heck - that's longer than I've known any skydiver, period. His life without her is not beginning anew, it's been going on for 15 years.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world for him to divorce her, to get her out of his life. Instead he has hung on, fighting battle after battle to fulfill her final wishes. And I admire him for that. I am lucky to have a wife that would fight for me in that way.

>On the news earlier today, I heard a rather wise suggestion: sit
> the "husband" or Micheal Shiavo and Terri's parents in a room and
>have them figure it out...

Again, I think that's a great idea, but they've had 15 years to do that. You can raise a kid in 15 years, and if you can't agree on treatment of a woman whose condition has not changed in that time, you never will.

>Micheal Shiavo might have alterior motives for wanting his wife to
>die instead of getting a divorce...

And her parents may be deranged enough to want the body of their daughter kept alive so they don't have to deal with her death, so it's easier on them emotionally. But neither of us really know what's going on there, do we?

Micheal Shiavo might have alterior motives for wanting his wife to die instead of getting a divorce...though that is sickening and terrible to think about, I think if enough money is on the line, he would do what he wanted to keep it...

What a sad cynical thing to say. I can't imagine any amount of money would be worth the torment and agony he's gone though for the last 15 years.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville