Prisoners in your own freedom!

"My plan is to fly stealth bombers over and we drop a full load of lawyers."

Ooooh, get video.:)Sorry MrM2, just joshing.:P

I haven't checked the word count yet, but I reckon Dubbya used the word 'freedom' more than Mel G in Braveheart.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Wouldn't be that stealthy .... you couldn't keep the silent for long enough!:P

Apart from the occasional "SPLAT!" sound, it should be OK... Unless the North Kiranians actually "resist to the death" and we're forced to give parachutes to the Lawyers!

Weapons of Mass Legislation. :ph34r:

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Dude. Ease down on the English grammar rules.

My apologies to GravityGirl.

To answer her question: My proficiency in Norwegian is non-existant. That's why you won't see me listening to Norwegian political speeches, and then commenting upon Norwegian politics.

I think it's funny that BASE is pretty much legal from cliffs in Norway, while the US National Park Service has banned it. Which country is the "land of the free" again?

I don't consider BASE jumping to be the standard by which freedom is measured.

Here in Europe we are following the development with the propaganda about Iran...

How do you know it is only "propaganda", rather than fact?

When it comes to a war against Iran, I am sure NATO will be involved!

Uh-huh, just like the way France and Germany are helping out in Iraq and Afghanistan? Europe has a long history of not taking care of problems in their own neighborhood.

Uh-huh, just like the way France and Germany are helping out in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Uh... Aren't the French involved in Afghanistan?:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I find it amazing that the liberals hate Bush so much that they can't even bring themselves to agree with him that freedom is a good thing.

Freedom is a good thing, but the people/nation that want it have to fight for it. It cannot be given away. I agree with Bush that we should support it, but by no mean should we invade a country on the simple notion of bringing freedom to them.

...My proficiency in Norwegian is non-existant. That's why you won't see me listening to Norwegian political speeches, and then commenting upon Norwegian politics...

By that logic, no one ought to comment on the politics of a nation that does not share their language. That doesn't seem right to me--especially since we frequently exercise our ability to comment upon, and meddle in (by force if need be) the affairs of nations that don't speak English.

Since I don't speak Arabic I oughtn't comment on politics in Saudi Arabia?

Seems to me that the necessity to comment (and act) upon foreign affairs is independent of language proficiency.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Freedom is a good thing, but the people/nation that want it have to fight for it. It cannot be given away.

Agree. Which is why we are training the Iraqiis to do it for themselves, so that they won't continue to need us to do it for them.

I agree with Bush that we should support it, but by no mean should we invade a country on the simple notion of bringing freedom to them.

So we should ignore things like genocide, even when we have the power to stop it? Our intervention in Bosnia was wrong?

...My proficiency in Norwegian is non-existant. That's why you won't see me listening to Norwegian political speeches, and then commenting upon Norwegian politics...

By that logic, no one ought to comment on the politics of a nation that does not share their language.

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if your proficiency in that language is poor, then your understanding of what is being said is likely to also be poor. And therefore, commenting upon what you think you understand is liable to make you look foolish. Proceed at your own risk...

I find it amazing that the liberals hate Bush so much that they can't even bring themselves to agree with him that freedom is a good thing.

Depends on the version of freedom being tauted.

See what I mean? This anti-freedom position looks like a silly argument to me.

Any version is better than none. A version that would allow the people to craft their own version is even better. In Iraq, we're allowing them to write their own Constitution - that seems like a pretty good version of freedom to me.

I don't consider BASE jumping to be the standard by which freedom is measured.

It's only one of them. But, since it's a criteria that 434 and I share, it's a good place to start building common ground.

Well, it's not in the Bill of Rights, but I suppose it falls under "pursuit of happiness". I agree that the Park Service ban is wrong and should be eliminated. However, as general principles of freedom go, BASE jumping is pretty far down the list of things that are really important. :-)

However, as general principles of freedom go, BASE jumping is pretty far down the list of things that are really important. :-)

I totally agree. I've got a (short) list of things I'd be willing to fight (physically, that is) for, and BASE in the National Parks isn't one of them.

Now, if you want to take away my assault rifle...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm saying that if your proficiency in that language is poor, then your understanding of what is being said is likely to also be poor. And therefore, commenting upon what you think you understand is liable to make you look foolish. Proceed at your own risk...

Ah, ok. I understand.

The thing is that there are professional translations available of most of the underlying news and source material. So, yes, doing your own translations may leave you open to some errors. But reading the news in your own language, then coming here and discussing it (in your 2nd, 3rd, or whatever, language) seems pretty reasonable.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"Uh-huh, just like the way France and Germany are helping out in Iraq and Afghanistan? Europe has a long history of not taking care of problems in their own neighborhood.

I think you would have been surprised if you did your homework, and find out which countries have supported the war in Afghanistan!

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if your proficiency in that language is poor, then your understanding of what is being said is likely to also be poor. And therefore, commenting upon what you think you understand is liable to make you look foolish. Proceed at your own risk...

No problem! I have seen worse on TV from an famous President!

So we should ignore things like genocide, even when we have the power to stop it? Our intervention in Bosnia was wrong?

You should investigate a little before you bring such things up. The US under the Bush Administration threatened to veto the UNSC resolutions asking to keep peacekeepers in the area unless US soldiers were granted complete imunity to international crimes. Scary.

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.

I promise to liberate the hole world!

I think he meant "I promise to liberate the hole's worm"! It must be a metaphore.:|

HAHAHAH! IALMAO HAHAHA! Whew I needed that! :D
If life gives you lemons then make lemonade, if not then go thirsty and keep on truckin'

The speech sounded like he saw it for the first time as he read it from the prompter. The presentation was stilted, the emphasis on the wrong words, pauses in the wrong places. Worst inaugural speech since Harrison.

And there was no content, just platitudes.

Other than that, it was fine.

You should investigate a little before you bring such things up. The US under the Bush Administration threatened to veto the UNSC resolutions asking to keep peacekeepers in the area unless US soldiers were granted complete imunity to international crimes. Scary.

You didn't answer the question. All you did was use it as a springboard to bash America.

And your characterization is wrong. It's not long we want to be able to commit war crimes and have no accountability for it. U.S. soldiers are accountable to their own courts, and should not be fodder for someone else's.

Freedom is a good thing, but the people/nation that want it have to fight for it. It cannot be given away. I agree with Bush that we should support it, but by no mean should we invade a country on the simple notion of bringing freedom to them.

...but it's not exactly like they could send an e-mail from within their oppression and say, "Hey y'all! Can ya come help me out?" -but aside from that I agree with what you're saying. Help those who want help...also depends on whom you are asking though...don't ask the oppressor if he wants help, you have to seek out and ask the oppressed, which is a far more difficult (but worthy) task.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.