AiRpollUtiOn

European perception of America

It is our right to choose our leader.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it? As far as I am aware we do not have a popularly elected leader in this country, and never have. I think you might be confusing this Republic with a democracy.

------------------------------------------------------------
The '00 election is in the past, get over it. Bush was elected by the Electoral College as stated in the Constitution. In '04 he was re-elected by both the popular and electoral vote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an American first and part of the world body second.

I feel exactly the opposite.

You're entitled to that. That's what makes America great. We allow differing opinions.

Chris

Is it? As far as I am aware we do not have a popularly elected leader in this country, and never have. I think you might be confusing this Republic with a democracy.

------------------------------------------------------------
The '00 election is in the past, get over it. Bush was elected by the Electoral College as stated in the Constitution. In '04 he was re-elected by both the popular and electoral vote.

Let me try a different approach. Have you ever read the Constitution f the united States of America? I'm guessing not if you don't realize that the people do not elect the president. Never have. Not once. Never Zero. Zilch. Nada. The president is elected by electors. The FF did this so to the representative government would pose less of a threat of being tyranny of the majority over the minority.
While some states restrict how their electors can vote, many still give their electors the voting freedom the FF had intended. Take for example the hypothetical example that the smartest 48% of the population votes for canidate A, while the dumbest 52% of the population votes for candidate B, the electors would have the freedom to vote for candidate A.
Of course if something like that scenario happened today, there would be a cry of outrage. Pity.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Let me try a different approach. Have you ever read the Constitution f the united States of America? I'm guessing not if you don't realize that the people do not elect the president. Never have. Not once. Never Zero. Zilch. Nada. The president is elected by electors.

Try reading my words again. I'll give you some help...look for the words "Electoral College" and the "Constitution".

Chris

Take for example the hypothetical example that the smartest 48% of the population votes for canidate A, while the dumbest 52% of the population votes for candidate B, the electors would have the freedom to vote for candidate A.

As much as I usually agree with your political view, jcd(bunchofnumbersIcouldn'type), I disagree with this statement. The "smartness" or "dumbness" of voters should have no influence as to who is elected. Otherwise, it would be an "elitist" regime (although it is somehow...[:/]), meant only for the "educated" elite...
As far as I know, revolutions are carried out by the "people" (even though they may be "controlled" by the "upper classes"). And if for no other reason, their vote should be worth as much as anyone else's (not that it always does though...).
I am running out of """"" energy, so "out for now"...;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

As much as I usually agree with your political view, jcd(bunchofnumbersIcouldn'type), I disagree with this statement. The "smartness" or "dumbness" of voters should have no influence as to who is elected. Otherwise, it would be an "elitist" regime (although it is somehow...Unsure), meant only for the "educated" elite...
As far as I know, revolutions are carried out by the "people" (even though they may be "controlled" by the "upper classes"). And if for no other reason, their vote should be worth as much as anyone else's (not that it always does though...).
I am running out of """"" energy, so "out for now"...

Fair enough. Perhaps the 48% best informed versus the 52% least informed. Besides, it was only a hypothetical.;)

Besides, it was only a hypothetical.

Be careful about hypothesises... Many hypothesized that my goggles had no power... Boy, are they sorry now!:|B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Besides, it was only a hypothetical.
Be careful about hypothesises... Many hypothesized that my goggles had no power... Boy, are they sorry now!UnimpressedCool

and to make matters worse it was in reply to a post that I somehow managed to not read the last half of, so I'm just gonna quit while I'm not too far behind on this one.B|

Is it? As far as I am aware we do not have a popularly elected leader in this country, and never have.

Reagan, Clinton, and Bush all had the popular vote.

Try again.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Is it? As far as I am aware we do not have a popularly elected leader in this country, and never have.

Reagan, Clinton, and Bush all had the popular vote.

Try again.

Well, technically he is correct. They may have had the popular support. But they weren't "elected" by the popular vote.

I feel exactly the opposite.

Me, too. I just happened to be born in America, and my family just happens to live here. If I was born in Ireland, I would be any less fortunate to the country that I lived in. They have certain advantages over America. If someone gets killed in America or anywhere else, it makes me equally sad.

No, I really don't understand why people are "proud" to be Americans. Other countries have freedoms we don't have and vice versa. America just happens to be the place where I grew up. Many of the things that my parents' taxes paid for while growing up I could've received elsewhere.

It may be a great country, but there are others. It's not the best country in the world. It has advantages over other countries, but they have advantages over us.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I, for the record, am extremely proud to be an American and am very proud of my country's history.

Why do you take pride in something that you have not taken part in? You are american because your parents decided to have sex in America and raise you in America.
Had your mother and father been from Palestine, you could very well be now throwing stones at Israely tanks.

Why do you take pride in something that you have not taken part in?

Because he learned about it, decided he liked it, willing defended it, and supports it.

Just like I did.

Why do you hate it so much?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You also aren't proud of your country's history either.

For every event that you're proud of, there is a gruesome act to also speak of.

People in our country have done some amazing things. People in other countries have done amazing things.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Doesn't surprise me you are proud of the systematic eradication of a race.

Godwin's Law - Once a topic comes to subject of Buffalo:P, then the thread is dead.

>:(B|:$:P:P;):):D:ph34r:B|:o>:(:$B|:P;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Doesn't surprise me you are proud of the systematic eradication of a race.

Godwin's Law - Once a topic comes to subject of Buffalo, then the thread is dead.

Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's Law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

Nevertheless, there is also a widely-recognized codicil that any intentional invocation of Godwin's Law for its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

:D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Ok, so who mentioned Nazis?!?

No one, but Godwin's law has been mentioned, twice.

Nobody, I refered back to the eradication of the native americans. Guess some posters had forgotten about that proud moment in north-american history and assumed I made some comparison to nazies.

Don't forget, not only did we eradicate the race, we lied, abused, raped, and stole from them in the process.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Nobody, I refered back to the eradication of the native americans.

Gee, they don't seem to be eradicated to me.

I'm not proud of ALL of the past, but I am proud of MOST of it.

Guess some posters had forgotten about that proud moment in north-american history and assumed I made some comparison to nazies.

No he mentioned the Buffalo.

But I bet you are 100% proud of your history...

Given the choice I am pretty happy with my nations history.

Nobody, I refered back to the eradication of the native americans. Guess some posters had forgotten about that proud moment in north-american history and assumed I made some comparison to nazies.

No, I mentioned Buffalo. We have quite a few people of "Native American" descent in our state alone, so unlikely 'eradicated'. It's time to lighten up a bit. Sure, America and Europe bashing is fun, but kind of a generalist approach.....

I'll go put a smiley face on the Buffalo comment. Sorry it was confusing, it must be that red haze you are viewing the world through.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But I bet you are 100% proud of your history...

Really, put your money where your mouth is Ron. Bet with me.......say $1,000?

Gee, they don't seem to be eradicated to me.

Ohhh good, you let a couple live..........shows what good humanitarians you are. since history repeats itself frequently, I guess the Iraqis know what they have to look forward to.