Merkur

Creation or Evolution - what do you think

In an infinite universe, everywhere is at the centre of the universe, right?
Surely in an infinite universe, the earth, or any other point has equal amounts of universe all around it, infinity either side as it were, so geometrically the earth, and everywhere else, is technically at the centre of the universe.

Who said the universe was infinite. If it were, we would not have a dark sky at night. Every line of sight would eventually end at a star.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Who said the universe was infinite. If it were, we would not have a dark sky at night. Every line of sight would eventually end at a star.

There is no reason why the universe couldn't be infinite in its space yet finite in its matter. If so, it would be somewhat like polka dots on the surface of a balloon with spaces between.

The other problem with your statement is that not all matter in the universe radiates light. In fact, there are quite a few theories that say that there is far more non-visible matter. Anything between the source of light and your eye would block the light from it getting to your eye. Even within our own galaxy there is quite a bit of dust and debris that blocks the light from stars behind it.

You should look into an astronomy class sometime.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

How can a person not believe in God and still have faith that their parachute will open 7000 times? Just because the messenger got the message a little wrong doesn't mean the story that he is trying to tell is bullshit.

because the people who built and designed the parachute (even the very first designed by da Vinci) used sound, demonstrable scientific principles we can repeat any where any time with minimal variance...as opposed to the multitude of fireside stories primitive man used to make himself feel better in the deep cold night, many of which we can prove to be complete fabrications...

Polls taken in the late 1400's would overwhelmingly show that the average human thought the earth was flat, until C Columbus blew that theory.

We knew the earth was round long before Columbus. That's just one of the lies your history book told you. Another: Copernicus first proposed the sun was at the center of the known universe. Actually, Aristarchus (d.230 BCE) proposed a helieocentric universe.

Of course, as recently as 1994, the Catholic church has acknowledged that Kepler was right, the Earth does rotate around the sun.

How can a person not believe in God and still have faith that their parachute will open 7000 times?

To take the opposing view . . . if you believed in God (and you were on his "good" side), why would you care?
quade -

There is no reason why the universe couldn't be infinite in its space yet finite in its matter. If so, it would be somewhat like polka dots on the surface of a balloon with spaces between.

The other problem with your statement is that not all matter in the universe radiates light. In fact, there are quite a few theories that say that there is far more non-visible matter. Anything between the source of light and your eye would block the light from it getting to your eye. Even within our own galaxy there is quite a bit of dust and debris that blocks the light from stars behind it.

You should look into an astronomy class sometime.

I got that from one or more of Stephen Hawking's books. It is a sound argument.

It is true there is more mass to the universe than is currently accounted for, and one hypothesis among several to explain that is dark matter. However, considering that gravity and light move at the same speed, it is highly probable that there is more to the electro-magnetic spectrum than meets the eye, so to speak. A better understanding of that would likely eliminate some of the mystery pertaining to the universe's mass.

Thanks for the Astronomy pointer, but I have already taken a university level Astronomy class. I love relativity theory, quantum theory and chaos theory.

In an infinite universe, everywhere is at the centre of the universe, right?
Surely in an infinite universe, the earth, or any other point has equal amounts of universe all around it, infinity either side as it were, so geometrically the earth, and everywhere else, is technically at the centre of the universe.

Ah, Olbers' Paradox. Haven't heard of that in a while.

math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/olbers.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It can be traced as far back as Kepler in 1610, and was rediscussed by Halley and Cheseaux in the eighteen century; but it was not popularized as a paradox until Olbers took up the issue in the nineteenth century.

John . . . so just how old are you? ;)
quade -

>How can a person not believe in God and still have faith that their
>parachute will open 7000 times?

Well:

a) I've jumped 4200 times, and my main parachute has only opened 4195 times. However

b) Bill Coe, not god, designed my reserve, and he's pretty good at it..

>Just because the messenger got the message a little wrong doesn't
>mean the story that he is trying to tell is bullshit.

Agreed - but by the same token. even if you believe in god, it doesn't mean he's the guy who makes your parachute inflate.

>We knew the earth was round long before Columbus. That's just
>one of the lies your history book told you.

Some did. The debate was at the point that the evolution debate is now - the learned people believed the world was round, the religious types quoted the bible to prove that the earth was flat. Giordano Bruno was executed for (among other things) preaching about a Copernican solar system and an infinite universe in 1600, so not everyone agreed with the heliocentric theory even _after_ Columbus.

Today, few people believe the earth is flat, and those that do are generally discounted. I believe we will reach a similar point with the study of evolution, as we uncover more and more of our roots. That's not to say that there is no place for god in creation. Just as proving the world was round did not destroy the message of the bible, coming to understand how we evolved will not end christianity - it will just indicate that the bible is slightly more parable than some previously thought.

How can a person not believe in God and still have faith that their parachute will open 7000 times? Just because the messenger got the message a little wrong doesn't mean the story that he is trying to tell is bullshit.

I don't have that much faith in my main. That's why I have a reserve. That, and the law requires it.

Seriously: skydiving gear is really pretty straight forward stuff. It doesn't take much faith to trust it's reliability. At least, not if you take the trouble to understand and maintain your gear.
There's lots of documented evidence showing that it works. You can even witness it first hand on any given sunny day.

The same can not be said for your messenger and message.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Is it your "faith" in a god that opens your parachute or is it your ability to pack a parachute to open? Which do you depend on?
I saw a story the other day of a woman whom was sucked into a drainpipe and washed out the other end, 125'. She stated that it was god who saved her by pushing her out the other end. Now, I am thinking, if god wanted to really help her would he not have kept her from being sucked in in the first place? The same goes for those in car accidents, or any accident for that matter, would you not have god prevent the accident in the first place? Why then after an event in which some one or persons are injured or killed there is ofton those who proclaim that they felt gods hands protect them? Is this not egotistic to believe that a god would see that you are protected while others are not? So, back to god opening your parachute. Why would he open yours and let another fail. I believe that it is ego that lends to a person believing that a god sees fit to let them live and others die.
I end with a qoute;
" I cannot conceive of a god who rewards and punishes his creatures or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egotism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature."
Albert Einstein

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

How can a person not believe in God and still have faith that their parachute will open 7000 times?

So, what about all the guys who's parachutes didn't open? Did god not like them, or was he just not looking?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It can be traced as far back as Kepler in 1610, and was rediscussed by Halley and Cheseaux in the eighteen century; but it was not popularized as a paradox until Olbers took up the issue in the nineteenth century.

John . . . so just how old are you? ;)

Let's just say I remember when dirt was new.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I end with a qoute;
" I cannot conceive of a god who rewards and punishes his creatures or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egotism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature."
Albert Einstein

Quote from the link below:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." – Albert Einstein

It is the second part of the quote that reveals the reason Einstein rejected the existence of a personal God. Einstein compared the remarkable design and order of the cosmos and could not reconcile those characteristics with the evil and suffering he found in human existence. How could an all-powerful God allow the suffering that exists on earth?

Einstein's failure to understand the motives of God are the result of his incorrect assumption that God intended this universe as His ultimate perfect creation. Einstein could not get past the moral problems that are present in our universe. He assumed, as most atheists do, that a personal God would only create a universe which is both good morally and perfect physically. However, according to Christianity, the purpose of the universe is not to be morally or physically perfect, but to provide a place where spiritual creatures can choose to love or reject God - to live with Him forever in a new, perfect universe, or reject Him and live apart from Him for eternity. It would not be possible to make this choice in a universe in which all moral choices are restricted to only good choices. Einstein didn't seem to understand that one could not choose between good and bad if bad did not exist. It's amazing that such a brilliant man could not understand such a simple logical principle.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Did Albert Einstein believe in a personal God?

Although, I disagree with regard to the personal or impersonal nature of God, it appears that Albert Einstein was at least a deist in the end.

Edited to add: And if he was a deist, he was a creationist. How everything developed from there is secondary. Religion doesn't mean one has to reject science. They're two different things. The problem is with which has dependency.

"Now, lest anyone be confused, let me state that Hawking strenuously denies charges that he is an atheist. When he is accused of that he really gets angry and says that such assertions are not true at all. He is an agnostic or deist or something more along those lines. He's certainly not an atheist and not even very sympathetic to atheism."

Stephen Hawking has stated, "It is difficult to discuss the beginning of the universe without mentioning the concept of God. My work on the origin of the universe is on the borderline between science and religion, but I try to stay on the scientific side of the border. It is quite possible that God acts in ways that cannot be described by scientific laws, but in that case, one would just have to go by personal belief."

Stephen Hawking, the Big Bang, and God

I also appears that even the likes of Stephen Hawking was waffling between Agnosticism and Theism at the least. He apparently rejects Atheism. I guess belief in the concept of God isn't just for the weak minded after all.

I read through your link. An interesting point of view. As I have come to understand Einstein, I have viewed him more as a spiritualistic person than anything. Like Spinoza, Einstein rejected a personal god and embraced the working of nature, which is perfect as no one can dispute it is not. Spinoza's god was manifested in nature and we are the offspring of nature. As he believed god was everything and if everything is that of nature then nature in itself must be god and that "we are but a ripple on the surface of god".

Spinoza was an odd character but had some radical ideas for his time, back in the 1600's I believe. That he was an outcast from his parent religion, he rejected judism and other forms of organized faith based religion. Yet, a good deal of his ideaology can be traced back to the roots of islam and other religions.

Einstein firmly believed in something yet I do not believe it was a god that had a heaven or sent a soul to hell. Einstein, as I read him, believed that the nature of man is dependent on the nature of the universe and that the nature of the universe will always remain a mystery as no man could fully comprehend it's nature as no man could fully comprehend the mind of a god therefore god and nature must be one and the same. I see this as embracing spirituality more than embracing a deity.
I believe what I said to be true for myself and I am just happy to be alive another day to be able to enjoy the nature of everything. If by chance something does exist beyond known life then I am on for the ride as I am on for this one.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Life was created by God.

God evolved from a Myth.

how is your form?

is your fictitious god not a part of the life he/it created?
it simply doesn't make sense.

once apon a time there was a god, he got fucking bored of being the only thing in existance so he started to create life, millions of years later he created humans and these humans worshipped god for creating their nice lives, but these morons who are just kidding themselves forgot about the actual 'life' that supports them because they were too busy living thier 'life'(social structure) and not giving a fuck about life(our fragile enviroment)

get amoungst nature (whats left of it) start to appreciate 'life' and realise humans are a mare stitch in time! insead of going to church plant a tree or pick up some rubbish. you 'should' feel moraly better after that not throwing a few coins into a collection bag at the church so the vicar can have a new bmw!

are you a complete idiot or just gullible?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Life was created by God.

God evolved from a Myth.

how is your form?

is your fictitious god not a part of the life he/it created?
it simply doesn't make sense.

once apon a time there was a god, he got fucking bored of being the only thing in existance so he started to create life, millions of years later he created humans and these humans worshipped god for creating their nice lives, but these morons who are just kidding themselves forgot about the actual 'life' that supports them because they were too busy living thier 'life'(social structure) and not giving a fuck about life(our fragile enviroment)

get amoungst nature (whats left of it) start to appreciate 'life' and realise humans are a mare stitch in time! insead of going to church plant a tree or pick up some rubbish. you 'should' feel moraly better after that not throwing a few coins into a collection bag at the church so the vicar can have a new bmw!

are you a complete idiot or just gullible?

Perhaps that would be an interesting diatribe if it related to much of anything.

My remark was a distant variant to Clarence Darrow's comment "In the beginning, God created man. Man, being a gentleman, returned the favor."

What leads you to suspect idiocy or gullibility, and how do you conclude that those are the only viable options?

Blue skies,

Winsor

Creationism is a belief system, not based on science, but somehow folded around it.

For many of us, Creationism isn't folded around science. It's at its foundation. Science is the attempt to understand God's creation. Creationism just keeps the idea that God is ultimately responsible in perspective.