JohnRich

Barbara Streisand on President Bush

From Bab's web site:
"In response to the results of the Presidential election last week, I would like to share with you a quote from Thomas Jefferson. Although written in 1798, I feel his words speak perfectly to the strong sentiments of frustration and disappointment 48% of the country feel.

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles..."
Source: http://barbrastreisand.com/statements.html#wemusthavepatience

The irony in her use of this quote is that Jefferson was a Republican, and he was complaining about politicians from New England - the John Kerry blue states. Hah!

Be sure to also peruse some of the other great statements from this well-informed deep thinker, while you visit her site.

The irony in her use of this quote is that Jefferson was a Republican, and he was complaining about politicians from New England - the John Kerry blue states. Hah!

Jefferson was a Democratic Republican; that's the forbearer of the modern Democratic party, but only via a schism that changed its nature. The other result of the schism was the Whigs.

The modern Republican party is neither; it was formed in 1854. Both Democrats and Republicans would like to consider themselves as the "real" Democratic-Republicans.

From the website (of course) where I got this information, I found this snippet about the Federalists:
"The second type of Federalist was essentially a conservative in the traditional sense, i.e., a supporter of the party of government (the Federalists originally controlled all three branches). More specifically, the term came to be associated with the policies of Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury The United States; these policies included the funding of the national debt, the assumption of State debts incurred during the Revolutionary War, the incorporation of a national Bank of the United States, the support of manufactures and industrial development, the use of a light tariff and domestic incentives to encourage economic growth, strict neutrality in the French Revolutionary Wars, and the creation of a strong army and navy. Generally speaking, Hamiltonian policies were pursued in the Washington Administrations, and to a lesser extent, the Adams Administration. "

Of course I'm reading into what I want to, but that sounds kinda conservative to me. George Washington was a Federalist.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Any links on how Bert from Sesame Street feels about the election? Now there's someone who's opinion REALLY matters. :P

I'd really want to know what the cast of South Park have to say :D:P

The parties had a history of realigning often. THe Republican party of today is not like that of the Lincoln era. Then again, the Democrats of today are not like those of the Woodrow Wilson era.

I think we're pretty due for another party realignment. I think this election may be the start of it. There will likely be a splinter group of Democrats - those like PhillyKev for whom the Democratic Party does not necessarily hold all the same values, i.e., guns.

On the other hand, plenty of conservatives (like me) take issue with the (seemingly prevailing) Republican view of civil liberties. I'm sure that plenty of Republicana would switch to Democrat, and vice versa, if either party adopted a key platform point.

Personally, I'd like to see a party realignment. We're due for a major one (occurring about every 72 years, and the last one was 1932). Heck, recall that the Dems of 1960 were the "Jeffersonians," i.e., countryfolk, religious, traditional, simple. The Republicans of the 1960's were the cityfolk, suit and hat, commerce types, the "Hamilton" discussed above.

I believe that a realignment is coming by 2012...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It is the sneering contempt that the liberal elite snobs have for the middle class, the working class, that cost Kerry the election, and nothing else.

mh

I think we're pretty due for another party realignment. I think this election may be the start of it. There will likely be a splinter group of Democrats - those like PhillyKev for whom the Democratic Party does not necessarily hold all the same values, i.e., guns.

It seems like we're overdue, but I'm not sure it's the Democratic Party that will change. They have increasing numbers due to changing demographics - minority and urban populations are climbing. While in the immediate this trend has actually helped the GOP as the Southern states grew larger, I suspect within 10 years it will go the other way. If so, the Republicans will have to jetisom some of their platform, probably starting with abortion, and perhaps gun rights if people increasingly don't own them.

That said, I see both parties as the same on the subject of civil rights. The leadership of the Democrats - people like Difi and previously Clinton and Reno have little respect for them, and I don't just mean gun rights.

John McCain had the best response to Babs on SNL. He did a singing infomercial and concluded by saying that he should sing [bad reditions of Streisand songs] and she shouldn't skip her nose in politics.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

>It seems like we're overdue, but I'm not sure it's the Democratic
>Party that will change.

Both parties will change, in the endless dance to try to grab the "center." For example, the republicans have become the party of big government and big spending; expect the democrats to change to become the party of smaller government, as they once were.

>It seems like we're overdue, but I'm not sure it's the Democratic
>Party that will change.

Both parties will change, in the endless dance to try to grab the "center." For example, the republicans have become the party of big government and big spending; expect the democrats to change to become the party of smaller government, as they once were.

William,

Both of these will be a welcome change! :SB|

mh

expect the democrats to change to become the party of smaller government, as they once were.

I don't know how the democrats will be able to perform their social programs, etc without a big government.

>I don't know how the democrats will be able to perform their social
>programs, etc without a big government.

They won't. As Lawrocket pointed out, parties change. The democrats may well absorb some libertarian principles, and become the party of "keep government out of our lives," this may work as a reaction to the proposed clampdowns on gay and reproductive rights. As always, what the republican party does will define part of what the democratic party becomes (and vice versa.)

Somehow, I don't see the big corporations that generally support the Republicans jumping in bed with gay and reproductive rights or other liberal causes.

>Somehow, I don't see the big corporations that generally support the
> Republicans jumping in bed with gay and reproductive rights or other
> liberal causes.

You don't see Hollywood (one of the biggest industries in the US) getting 'in bed' with the reproductive rights people?

Ten years ago, oil companies were diametrically opposed to alternative energy; it was anathema to them. Now BP and Shell are pushing their alternative energy research (i.e. a liberal cause) for all it's worth - and are making money at it. Whatever sells.

Somehow, I don't see the big corporations that generally support the Republicans jumping in bed with gay and reproductive rights or other liberal causes.

Crap - a good "big corporation" will cover it's bets by supporting both sides of the aisle. This type of stereotyping is the most consistent trait of a good democrat BTW. (how's that for a good stereotype? pot meet kettle)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

From Bab's web site:

"In response to the results of the Presidential election last week, I would like to share with you a quote from Thomas Jefferson. Although written in 1798, I feel his words speak perfectly to the strong sentiments of frustration and disappointment 48% of the country feel.

"A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles..."
Source: http://barbrastreisand.com/statements.html#wemusthavepatience

She also neglects to acknowledge that he is also the mind who said things like, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms," and all that stuff about how it is the goal that the people be armed at all times to guard against tyranny...

I have to admit that your choice of thread title had me shiver a bit in disgust at the mental image it provoked... :D

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I beleive it was Voltaire who said, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it." As someone who has served in the Armed Forces for 25 years, I totally agree with that quote.

I believe that people can disagree without being disagreeable. I see alot of personal attacks among people who disagree with what someone else's opinions are. To me personal attacks show ignorance ("if I can't discredit the opinion I'll discredit the person") This freedom of speech is the core of all freedoms that we as Americans have.

With this said, I also have issues with entertainers who spout their politics, then get upset when their fans rebel against them (eg Dixie Chicks). THEY have every right to give their opinions, AND we have EVERY right not to support them by buying their CDs and going to their concerts. But what happens when they speak their is a backlash among their fans? They say WE are stiffling their freedom of speech. Hogwash!

Keep the dialogue up, this will make us a stronger country.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

But what happens when they speak their is a backlash among their fans? They say WE are stiffling their freedom of speech. Hogwash!

Not hogwash, more like whitewash over the facts. You're right, fans not supporting them anymore is understandable. What isn't acceptable is for monopolistic media companies refusing to play their songs, not because of fan backlash, but because they don't agree with their politics. Sure, a company should have the right to play what they want, but that only works if there is competition. The FCC virtually elliminated free market competition in radio by allowing single corporations to own multiple stations in the same market.