tunaplanet

Why Kerry Lost The 2004 Election

Tuna and other insightful commentators,

Please stop telling Dems what they have done wrong. :ph34r:
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Nope. It was him being honest with his beliefs despite what anyone else thought.

That’s the problem right there.
This is not the United States of BUSH.
I want a leader who follows the constitution not his religious belief. I came from a country where I had to follow someone else religious belief trust me it is not fare.

It is sad that many voted for bush on his personal views on abortion, and gay marriage.
I still liked what Kerry said. What he believes is not the point he is not the Catholics, or Protestants president. He has to be everyone’s president.

We have a redneck president voted for by his people. Have fun the next 4 years as we lose Lives (not just our soldiers but innocent people who didn’t want the war), Jobs, and prices for every thing increases.

Good Luck to all of us democrats, republican, and independents.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I can't believe that the horse that died is still being shot at.

Yup - there is some deceased equine flagellation going on, as well as the usual BS (Bovine Scatology)...:D

mh

I am not sure TH Kerry is shallow. However, I think she is impolitic (not inclined toward being a good politician). She had difficulty picking her moments and style when it came to speaking her mind. I liked the way she apologized to Laura Bush, although many people in society think of a "real" job as being outside of the home, regardless of how hard being a mother can be. While I am obviously not a mother, I know how tough is it must have been for mine. :S
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Regardless of the merits of a anti-same-sex-marriage Consitutional amendment, it takes I believe a two thirds majority of the House and Senate (correct?) to call a Constitutional convention. Once done, the floor is open to all kinds of potential amendments, by the rules. It's a Pandora's Box. That's at least as good a reason that this amendment thing should be avoided.

Edited to fix spelling.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

You need 2/3 majority to ratify, which GWB was NEVER going to get for a US Constitutional Amendment on the subject, which is exactly why I thought he was off his rocker when he came out for it. There's simply no way he was going to get a 2/3 majority for it, but . . . and this was the diabolical genius part of it -- it did energize a certain part of the religious right to move to state amendments, ensuring their voter turn out and ensuring that they had a "moral" connection with GWB.

I think the entire episode is heinous, yet I admire it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You need 2/3 majority to ratify

In addition to getting the 2/3rds in congress (both houses), you need 3/4ths of the the states to ratify it as well...

There is also the Constitutional Convention method as well, but that takes 2/3rds of the state legislatures to call for one... it has never been used as a method of amending the Constitution.

It is explained here.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Maybe this had an effect:

43% of people with graduate school education voted for Bush.

49% of people who didn't finish high school voted for Bush.

76% of all stats are made up on the spot.... we know.
Where is that info from Kallend?

BTW- 95% of people who haven't finished High School can't vote ;)
I think you need to reword it!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

That implies 51% who didn't finish high school voted for Kerry

And Again, i would guess that not even 50% of people who didn't finish high School voted. Come on Proffesor.... You need to word these things better than that. You are getting sloppy. It is Friday, I guess I can cut you some slack.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

America doesn't want the Ted Kennedy and Michael Moores...they want good, decent, hard-working, honest people...just like the man that was elected on the 2nd of this month.

I can think of many adjectives to describe GWB (some of them even positive), but good, decent, hard-working, and honest are not among them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What percent of physics profs voted for Kerry? What percentage of New Yorkers voted for Bush? What percentage of suburbanites in Raleigh, NC voted for Bush? What percent of Atalnta computer programmers voted for Bush?

It may come down to beliefs, reasons other than a shingle (education), that determine the vote.
|

Harry, FB #4143

What percent of physics profs voted for Kerry? What percentage of New Yorkers voted for Bush? What percentage of suburbanites in Raleigh, NC voted for Bush? What percent of Atalnta computer programmers voted for Bush?

It may come down to beliefs, reasons other than a shingle (education), that determine the vote.
|

His point is unless you have a College Degree you are stupid and ignorant and you are likely to vote for someone like Bush who is also stupid and ignorant. Of course when it's pointed out that Bush graduated from Harvard, it then becomes "his daddy bought him his degree".

Tuna and other insightful commentators,

Please stop telling Dems what they have done wrong. :ph34r:

Have no fear, the Dems ain't listening. Their conclusions on the reasons are boiling down to:

1) Bush supporters are just soooo stupid.

2) Bush supporters are a bunch of bigoted homophobes.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, the Democratic introspection has much more to do with self gratification than winning any election by drawing useful conclusions.

Maybe this had an effect:

43% of people with graduate school education voted for Bush.

Quite right.

Young people spending a lot of time with eletist liberal college professors does have a negative effect.

My Sociology 101 prof was so flaming liberal he was on fire!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Interesting. That's a whole lot of slamming by people who don't like to be slammed. Care to discuss the personal hygiene habits of liberals?

BTW, it's elitist. Eletist goes with perfesser.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Saw this election comment on another media outlet.

"Liberals must acknowledge that if our rantings about Bush are correct, the majority of Americans truly DO want a filthy rich, fear-fanning, warmongering, homophobic, misogynistic, born-again Texas frat boy running things".....

Not my views as I actually believe that President Bush is a decent individual. While I agree with some of his policy's I disagree with others. That's what makes our country great is our freedom of expression.

As far as the "moral values" thing goes. Evangelical voters (who are one-in five of all voters) already were going to vote for Bush anyway. These were Karl Rove's turnout targets from day one anyway.

As far as the gay marriage issue goes, exit polls of voters that said that moral issues were important showed that 60% of those polled favored some form of legal protections etc for same-sex couples.
50% of these voters voted for George Bush. As far as the constitutional amendments passed in the 10 of the 11 states banning same-sex marriage it was already illegal in those states and the right wing just used these measures to gain an advantage. There was no attempt by the gay community in any of these states except Oregon to legalize gay marriage.
This issue played a role, but not really a decisive one.

Personally I believe voters stuck with Bush because of what he was saying on the campaign trail. "You know what you got with me. I say what I'm going to do and I keep my word" Also with us in war etc. people were just reluctant to make a change.

In Conclusion: I have a little experience as a grass-roots lobbyist, all I have to say is Sen Kerry, although he may have had some good ideas, he never articulated any solutions and just Didn't Make The Sale. 51% percent of those voting thought the same.

Chris