nigel99

Press freedom - USA comes 22nd

Please, I could give a flyin hoot about the press. As long as I am free to have political (or whatever) ideas, and talk about them with my friends.... that's all that matters to me.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

As long as I am free to have political (or whatever) ideas, and talk about them with my friends

Problem is, many people rely on the media to get their ideas.

If you've never heard it, seen it or smelled it, touched it, chances are you aren't even aware of it.

Censorship works.
illegible usually

Hell's teeth, we came joint 30th.:o

This message has been approved for publication by HM Gov.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Please, I could give a flyin hoot about the press. As long as I am free to have political (or whatever) ideas, and talk about them with my friends.... that's all that matters to me.

Without the press, how are you going to get the information required to have the discussion? Would you simply take the word of the government?

Further, is simply talking about those ideas with your friends enough? Suppose there was something that you didn't like and you wanted other people to know? How would you go about that? Stand on a street corner and simply talk about it or would you hand out pamphlets, start up a web site, a blog, an email campaign? That's all "freedom of the press".

People have a tendancy to think of freedom of the press as it pertains to huge media conglomerates, but it's far more than that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

extracted from the Europe pdf file

The United Kingdom’s ranking (28th) is largely due to the situation in
Northern Ireland, where journalists are constantly threatened by
paramilitary groups. The investigation into the 2001 murder of Sunday
World journalist Martin O'Hagan has come to a complete standstill.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Without the press, how are you going to get the information required to have the discussion?

I guess when I think of the press, I think about something like the vans parked in front of the Peterson house right now and reporters acting like rabid children with ADD.

The free exchange of ideas and the ability to question government doesn't have much to do with "the press" as far as I am concerned.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

I guess when I think of the press, I think about something like the vans parked in front of the Peterson house right now and reporters acting like rabid children with ADD.

There is lots of "bad" press if that's what you choose to focus on and not just at the local level either.

There is also a lot of "good" press. Unfortunately, as is the case in almost everything, the "bad" frequently overshadows the "good".

The free exchange of ideas and the ability to question government doesn't have much to do with "the press" as far as I am concerned.

The free exchange of ideas and the ability to question the action of the government is exactly what I think about when I hear the term "freedom of the press". It was such a fundamental concept to the creation of the U.S. that it was the very first item put in the Bill of Rights.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11715

for a country that puts itself out as the "land of the free" I find it interesting how low they are on the list...

It doesn't take much to fall to 23rd. That's up 9 from last year when it was held responsible for killed journalists in Iraq (BS, in other words).

But their own words for the current ranking:
"The two North American giants score well
A police raid in Canada on the home of journalist Juliet O'Neil and the national regulatory authority's stand against the pan-Arab radio station Al-Jazeera and the local station CHOI FM downgraded the country to 18th place. Violations of the privacy of sources, persistent problems in granting press visas and the arrest of several journalists during anti-Bush demonstrations kept the United States (22nd) away from the top of the list."

Doesn't sound too terrrible.

arrest of several journalists during anti-Bush demonstrations

thats what caught my eye... I have no idea on why or where these reporters were involved that warranted arrest - but the fact that it affects "press freedom" I assume means that someone deemed the arrests a supression of free speech. Journalists getting arrested for reporting bad news about the government is the stuff that results in countries having leadership like Mugabe (Zimbabwe = 155 in the list)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11715

for a country that puts itself out as the "land of the free" I find it interesting how low they are on the list...

Make no mistake about it - the USA is a land of the free, and the people and the press have remarkable freedom. If the USA ranks 22nd, the top 21 are very good company.

It certainly doesn't surprise me that Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands come out on top.

Claiming to be THE land of the free has always struck me as being somewhat arrogant and indicative of ignorance of what happens elsewhere.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.