narcimund

What does it mean to win the "War on Terror"?

George Bush says the War on Terror can be won. Then he says it can't. Then his spokesman argues that he misspoke. Then John Kerry confidently proclaims it can be. What are all these people talking about? I haven't yet heard what it means to win it. Until someone explains what a 'win' is, what sense is there in saying yes or no?

How does one win? Does winning mean a time when the government can consistently prevent political violence against civilians? How on earth can this be achieved?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Still trying to figure out how one can win a war on a concept... Catchy term, but not physically do-able I believe.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

George Bush says the War on Terror can be won. Then he says it can't.

That's normal speech. ;)

....what sense is there in saying yes or no?

That's the original flip-flop version in election times (not only in the US, BTW) ;)

How on earth can this be achieved?

That - in fact - needs more than GWB speeches...

[:/]

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Val might have something, but I think it's a bit too nefarious. We'll see on the first Tuesday after the First Monday in November if it's a credible conspiracy theory. If GWB gets re-elected it won't mean that the war-to-re-elect strategy worked, but if Kerry wins it'll mean that it didn't.

Anyway -- I just think it's like the war on;

drugs
poverty
unemployment

Makes for good copy for those that don't think about it too much.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Val might have something, but I think it's a bit too nefarious.

Yeah, so there is an actual "enemy," and they do want to attack some of our buildings. So, it's not an exact comparison, but using the war as a means to "control" people is similar. "We're winning!" "We're losing because of these jerks! We need your support!"
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

So, it's not an exact comparison, but using the war as a means to "control" people is similar.

True, but I would say that it is more "convenient" (if that's even possible in this context) than planned.

Remember back 3.5 years ago when a number of us just thought GWB was kind of, well, let's just say not the brightest, but at least fairly harmless in the "he who governs the least governs the best" sort of way.

I don't believe he knew of or was even all that interested in the world terrorism situation, but when 9/11 happened, he got into it fairly quickly and I've -always- applauded his efforts in Afganistan.

I -do- believe he had a vague notion of a plan to "finish" his father's work in the middle-east and 9/11 gave him the opportunity, but I won't go half as far as some people in saying it was a plan to control the population of the planet with fear. True, there's a heck of a lot of fear mongering out there (mostly from the DHS) and -some- of that is simply hype to whip up support, but support and control I see as two slightly different goals. One more subtle that the other.

In the book 1984, there was nothing subtle about it. It was purely for the purposes of control.
quade -

I'm in complete agreement.

In the book 1984, there was nothing subtle about it. It was purely for the purposes of control.

Yes, it used exaggeration many times to show certain aspects of the government. The first time I read it, I didn't really like it because I thought it was too exaggerated.

But, that's getting off topic...winning the war on terror....umm....I don't know because most can agree that it's not just taking out Osama Bin Laden....
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I don't believe he knew of or was even all that interested in the world terrorism situation***

As a matter of fact, he had very little idea where Kashmir was, nor did he know who the prime minister of India was. Granted, it's not like this part of the world has any terrorist activity, or that India and Pakistan have any means to be a threat to anyone...[:/]

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I don't believe he knew of or was even all that interested in the world terrorism situation***

As a matter of fact, he had very little idea where Kashmir was, nor did he know who the prime minister of India was. Granted, it's not like this part of the world has any terrorist activity, or that India and Pakistan have any means to be a threat to anyone...[:/]

AAhhhhhh, a mind reader.......do you know what I am thinking???....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

AAhhhhhh, a mind reader.......do you know what I am thinking???....

I'm getting interference... Not quite clear... i see... a much more detailed reply to my post...

Oh come on. SOMEBODY must know the partyline answer to this one.

You defeat terror by spreading liberty around the world. Duh. Of course that's as quantifiable as "winning the war on terror" but if I say it fast enough and you're in a big crowd of people that support me, it'll probably make you cheer.

You defeat terror by spreading liberty around the world. Duh. Of course that's as quantifiable as "winning the war on terror" but if I say it fast enough and you're in a big crowd of people that support me, it'll probably make you cheer

Quantifiable? How about two less dictatorships. How about 10 million people in Afghanistan who have registered to vote? How about any citizen in Iraq being able to say anything they want about the US government, occupation forces, or any person of power in Iraq (with maybe the exception of Al Sadr, and we're working that) without serious fear of personal harm?

It's better than allowing Saddam to run wild with his sons, killing and torturing at will.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

How about any citizen in Iraq being able to say anything they want about the US government, occupation forces, or any person of power in Iraq (with maybe the exception of Al Sadr, and we're working that) without serious fear of personal harm?

Maybe it's just me, but right now I'd say the average citizen of Iraq would be justified in having serious fear of personal harm whether they say anything or not.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

whats with the Republican harping on 911 at the convention. I don't think any party has the corner on that market.

No, but their candidate just happened to be President at the time, had to deal with it, and displayed for all the world where his loyalties lie. Unlike a certain individual who came back from Vietnam representing Hanoi.

Oh, please.

I can't say that everyone that has ever or could ever hold the office of the President of the United states would do -exactly- what GWB did just after 9/11, but it would be pretty damn close no matter who it was.

Clearly -any- President would have responded by sending troops to Afganistan once it was known that Osama bin Ladin was the master-mind and source of funds behind the attacks.

Later events such as the war in Iraq -- well, ok, who knows about that, but my guess is that some may have ventured there while others would have been more certain before acting.
quade -

>Unlike a certain individual who came back from Vietnam representing Hanoi.

Unfortunate that you were not around in the '60s to spit on the vets you disagreed with who came back from Vietnam. Fortunately, there are loads of wounded Iraq vets coming back who, I assume, you would consider representing Saddam Hussein, since they question our involvement in this war. You can still spit on them!

Oh give it up man.

Spitting on a traitor who happens to be a vet is not the same as spitting on the "everyman" veteran for serving their country when called.

I don't think anyone on the boards would have spit on Kerry the day he got back from Southeast Asia. If anyone wants to spit on the SOB, it's for what he did -after- he got back.

(do a little reading on what KGB defectors had to say about his little speeches and the communist agenda)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*