Second-Hand Smoke: Child Abuse?

The other day I saw a broad puffing away in her automobile, with a child also inside.

I had respiratory problems all the time when I was growing up, but they stopped as soon as I left home. My conclusion - second-hand cigarette smoke was making me ill.

Do you think that forcing children to breathe second-hand cigarette smoke constitutes child abuse? If so, how should it be dealt with?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I hear ya on this one - Dad smoked about 2-3 packs a day in the house, and later on one brother and one sister smoked in the house.

During that time I had Pneumonia 12 times and countless infections in my lungs. I lost count of the chest x-rays, hospital stays, etc.....

Moved out 5 years ago, there is no smoking in my car, camper or apartment. Guess what - haven't had a lung condition like that since.

I hear ya on this one - Dad smoked about 2-3 packs a day in the house, and later on one brother and one sister smoked in the house.

During that time I had Pneumonia 12 times and countless infections in my lungs. I lost count of the chest x-rays, hospital stays, etc.....

Moved out 5 years ago, there is no smoking in my car, camper or apartment. Guess what - haven't had a lung condition like that since.

I had the same problems and terrible allergies. When I moved out, lung problems went away. Difference is, I smoke. The problem was mildew in the basement that I was alergic to.

My sister experienced some pretty bad breathing problems as a child because of smoking.. Guess my parents learned something the night she almost died from respiratory problems. The doctor said this was only due to smoking. >:( Smoking near children should be illegal, even (or most importantly) in private homes.

I'm so happy for the laws in this country. From next year there is absolutely no smoking in any public places (including bars and such).. Hey, adding a ban on people smoking in general, would be nice as a next step..

Yes, I know I'm a little extreme here, but I lost two uncles and one grandparent to smoking. I've seen what smoking does to you. It's not pretty. And they say second-hand smoke is just as bad..... B|

-Mag

What makes it even WORSE is when the little rug rats are sitting (or bouncing about as the case may be) in the FRONT SEAT (right in front of the poised to KILL THEM airbag) totally unrestrained (seat belted) as well. Think that's a ludicrous scenario?? I got into an argument just LAST WEEK with a parent at a stoplight who I noticed PERSONALLY doing EXACTLY this, who thought I should "butt-out" and that she had "EVERY RIGHT" to do this!

INCREDIBLE!!!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

What makes it even WORSE is when the little rug rats are sitting (or bouncing about as the case may be) in the FRONT SEAT (right in front of the poised to KILL THEM airbag) totally unrestrained (seat belted) as well. Think that's a ludicrous scenario?? I got into an argument just LAST WEEK with a parent at a stoplight who I noticed PERSONALLY doing EXACTLY this, who thought I should "butt-out" and that she had "EVERY RIGHT" to do this!

INCREDIBLE!!!

That's when I would have held up my cell phone and and said "I've got your license plate number - you decide."

That's when I would have held up my cell phone and and said "I've got your license plate number - your decide."

I did that. I even dialed too! 9...1...1...
Bitch just gave me the finger & drove off (great mother-figure role model, eh?). Cops said they would "watch out" for her, but I doubt they did. I do have a friend at the State Barrack in the jurisdiction though who said he would follow-up on it.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Too bad there's seldom a camcorder available when you need one.

If people had to pass an IQ test in order to procreate, a lot of population problems wouldn't exist.

Do you think that forcing children to breathe second-hand cigarette smoke constitutes child abuse?

Oh absolutely. As does any number of things that we all suffered through in our childhoods but survived... y'know, things like riding bikes without helmets, getting spanked, "driving" the car while sitting on dad's lap, etc. Oh, and what about what the mother does while she's pregnant? Smoking, taking any kind of drugs (legal or not), not eating right - all can affect the baby; shouldn't those be considered child abuse too?

Attention parents - Big Brother is watching you!!!

I'm damn glad my kid is an adult now.

I (still - dammit!!!!) smoke. My son's allergy problems lessened quite a bit after he moved out of my house. Second hand smoke isn't good for anybody. But it seems a bit draconian to me to accuse/charge parents who have an addiction with child abuse when the substance they are addicted to is 100% legal...

Sort of off the topic, but I think you should be able to abort your child right up until they turn 18. No questions asked. If you get a feeling they've got no positive potential in society, I think you, as a parent, should be able to take them out behind the woodshed or for a long walk in the woods and return alone.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I totally agree with you. I saw a mother once tell her child to put a tooth that had fallen out under his pillow, and that a fairy would come and give him money during the night.

We all know that is such bullcrap, and it makes kids get into witchcraft, drugs, and possibly even become libertarians. I told her that I thought there should be a law against her raising her child the way she thought was appropriate, and she just looked at me like I was an idiot! Don't these people know that I know what is best for their kids? Don't they realize that my opinion is the only one that matters?

Man, I can't wait until there is no freedom of choice whatsoever and we all want exactly the same things and act the same way, like in that great book by George Orwell. But he promised it would be here sooner. What a ripoff. I'm like, hurry up already.

BMcD...

It will be very interesting to see how many people agree with some of this.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

well I don't think there needs to be more laws. Maybe it is child abuse, just not very serious child abuse, unless of course the kid has respiratory problems that are caused by/exacerbated by it.

But it does really suck sometimes to breathe in other people's cig smoke. Smokers wouldn't understand because they like breathing in that crap.
But no, I don't think we need to call in the police about it.:P

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

hey I didn't say its OK, just that we shouldn't have the cops kicking people's doors down about it.
And yes, I would safely say that it is less serious than beating the crap out your child with a stick.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Smokers wouldn't understand because they like breathing in that crap.

Yup, just like all white people are Republicans and all black people are gang bangin' criminals and all "persons of Hispanic descent" drive low riders and swam across the Rio Grande.

Repeat after me - stereotyping is bad.

I smoke, but I do make an attempt to be considerate of people around me who don't smoke. I'll move away and try to be downwind so it doesn't bug them. If someone comments that it's bothering them I'll usually put it out or move further away - even though I'd really like to say something along the lines of...

Don't like my cigarette smoke? Then don't stand next to the freakin' ashtray, fool! :ph34r:

I can post from a personal expierence on this one...
I have been raising my 7 year old step-son since he was 18months old. When I first me my husband to be, this little boy was always sick with a (sorry to be descriptive) but a green runny nose. Far from an every day childhood runny nose. When he was about two, he had sore all over his legs & arms that appeared to be "infected" mosquito bites. After taking him to two pediatricians, we got the smae answer from both, that is was "toxicidiy poisoning." They said it was from being exposed to too much secong-hand smoke. It looks like they were right, his bio-mothers rights were removed shortly there after & he hasn't been around anyone that smokes in over five years, the result...no runny nose, no coughs, no sores. He still gets childhood colds, but they always make him much sicker than the same cold affects are other three children who have never been exposed to any great amount of second hand smoke.
"Shut up and jump already....Whats that? Your mommy wont let you?"

I hate smokers with a passion . I remember the vacations with the asshole stepdad smoking winchester mini cigars with me in the back seat gasping for air for a thousand miles each way . I have lost many friends because of my views about smoking with their children present . My grandfather died with a luckystrike in his mouth .

well said Lisa. You're not going to change anyones mind on wanting the cigarette police to protect us from ourselves tho. But thanks for letting me know there are still others that believe in freedom ;)

Maybe someone can make a new post about child abuse, how bout lard ass parents with overweight kids stuffing their pieholes at the Burger King?!? :S

Yeah like that is a proud way to die ! At least his heart crashed before he got to experience the fun of lung cancer

I hear ya. My grandmother died a fairly slow agonizing death from emphysema about 15 years ago. My grandfather on that side also died of cancer related to smoking when I was 8.

Smoking robbed me of pretty much any chance I had of knowing my grandparents. It was their right to do it, but it sickened me and I think it was pathetic.

Luckily, my parents were strong about it. When my parents bought a house (when I was born), they nailed a big brass no-smoking sign on the front door. They firmly told my grandparents that the sign applied to them and they'd have to stand outside to smoke, snowing or not. I never had to worry about second-hand smoke in my own home.

If people choose to smoke, that is up to them. I feel bad about their addiction, but it isn't something I feel obligated to deal with. There will be no smoking in my house or vehicles. When I'm around smokers in public, I'll respect their wish to light up. I won't complain. Usually, I just leave if it bothers me. Works for me, works for them.

Let's see. I smoke.

When I am at someone's home who does not smoke, I don't, either. If I want one, I excuse myself and go outside.

If I am around a child, any child, I will not smoke. If I am babysitting my niece and nephew, I go outside to smoke.

I drive and smoke, but the windows are open and air is coming in. Even in the rain. If I am in a non-smokers car, I will not smoke. No matter how bad they drive.

If someone I am with asks me to not smoke near them, I either move or put it out. However, the respect and politeness they show me in asking me is reflected in my response to them...and yes, Lisa, I have used the "please move away from the only ashtray in 20 yards..."...

I am a polite smoker. I expect that should someone find my smoking offensive, politely address that. Rudeness, fake coughing, attitude, holier-than-thou-ism, lectures and dirty looks garner very little response from me, and most certainly not the one they anticipate.

Now, is it child abuse? I echo Lisa's statements above....no more so than being sent to bed without dinner for sassing back, getting smacked on the bottom for whacking my brother over the head, and most certainly far less than someone who allows their child to ride unrestrained in the car...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~