autoset

High speed landing with a mal on main, deploying reserve to slow you down?

OK so you deploy your main and it opens but with a malfunction like a line-over, or PC in front of canopy, for WHATEVER reason you decide to land it (because it can still be steered, because you don't have a hook knife with you, you don't want to cutaway because you think "something over your head is better than nothing"...or for whatever reason)

You can't predict how the canopy will behave on the way down, so now the canopy starts spinning OR descending too fast, you are too low to cutaway and pull reserve and you know you will have a high speed landing with this thing.

QUESTION: Would it be a good idea to pull reserve and have 2 canopies out to help slow you down? The reserve may counter-force(sp?) the spinning main and slow you down.
IF doing this would indeed help you slow down...having a Round reserve would be more beneficial than a Ram-Air square right?

Come on, forget the mal, the thing is if 2 canopies out right before landing would help you to slow you down at all?

Depends. Do you now have a downplane situation?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Would it be a good idea to pull reserve and have 2 canopies out to help slow you down?

It could help, or it could make things worse. And it's somewhat up to random chance as to which way it goes...

And if you waited too long already so that you're too low to do a cutaway, then you're probably also too low for the reserve to deploy under a malfunctioning main.

Ok so you're up for a Darwin award and you keep the 'mal' deploy the reserve and bingo,as already mentioned,main/reserve entanglement,downplane or if you're very lucky,a biplane situation where you can fly the hopefully,:Ddominate reserve,still a Darwin award but you,re more likely imo to be alive to recieve it
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

for WHATEVER reason you decide to land it (because it can still be steered, ...

...You can't predict how the canopy will behave on the way down

I know I have very low jump #s but in my mind "it can still be steered" pretty much equates with being able to predict how it will behave on the way down. I know this isn't what you asked, but I am interested in the thought process that goes behind deliberately deciding to land a canopy that fails a controllability check.

I also don't quite understand this:

you don't want to cutaway because you think "something over your head is better than nothing"

Are you worried your reserve won't deploy?

...i'm not trying to flame you , just honestly trying to understand.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

My 6 yr old son likes to play this game.

Him: What if there is a fire
Me: Get out.
Him: What if the door is blocked
Me: Use the window
Him: What if the window is 50 feet up
Me: Maybe you could PLF
Him: What if there is a monster on the ground waiting for me
Me: Try to land on him
Him: What if there are two monsters

Oh hell, if you're already screwed and your main is F'd then you may as well punch the reserve into it. It's worked before, it's failed before. At least you have something to do before you smack into the ground.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

QUESTION: Would it be a good idea to pull reserve and have 2 canopies out to help slow you down? The reserve may counter-force(sp?) the spinning main and slow you down.
IF doing this would indeed help you slow down...having a Round reserve would be more beneficial than a Ram-Air square right?

So, do we have the next advocate for round reserve?

Round reserves cause more problem than they solve. Do your search.

You scenario describes how situation gets worst after each bad decision.

You should open high enough to get your controllability check done and if its look bad and you have doubts get rid of the bitch.

I was told that you can fix one fault in this sport.
But the next one will most probably kill you, and if not the 3rd will finish you.

I did use my reserve before and I do not hesitate to use it any time I feel so.

If in doubt, whip it out. If you are not in doubt, why would you need your reserve?
When considering landing a mal main you should also be aware that things can get worse on the way down. A ripped endcell may not cause you much of a problem, but what if the next one, and the one next to this one ripp apart as well? Thats what you need to think about before you get below an altitude where you run out of options.

If you are getting aware on the last moment that you smash into ground with tremdeous speed you may want to get some extra material above your head, but as someone mentioned before you can not tell if its gonna help you.
Skydiving is about to react correct in time as your faults can to often not be repeated.

Martin

Take care up there!

If in doubt, whip it out.

I also think this is the best bet. However I know of a real case that happened a few weeks ago:

A friend of mine with 40+ jumps opened his DCM 280 at 5K ft. He said everything was fine until 1K when he noticed he was going down too fast. He checked up his canopy and found at least 4 broken inner lines.

He decided to land his canopy because had no time to break away but could not control it, had a very hard landing and was about to die. After 4 surgeries he will not be able to skydive for 1 year.
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

easy john, I think the guy was refering to the OP, which is always on here trolling with stupid shit getting people all unglued, dont know why people bother to respond to such horseshit! look up his posts youll see.

Wow you should feel so hardass now attacking a student, oh sorry didn't know you didn't have a first jump and noob questions starting up like everybody else, with 50 jumps you sure are a skygod already, watchout buddy karma is a bitch.

Obviously, try not to get in that situation. If you are not sure you can land a malfunctioning parachute, cutaway when you have altitude.

With the above being said, sometimes we do make poor decisions and end up opening super low with a malfunction, or a malfunction that we thought could be landed becomes worse. I think that's what you are talking about here. And, it actually happens. A jumper may have a parachute that he thinks can be landed when at 2,000 feet, but when he reaches a lower altitude the descent speed is more obvious, and he realizes a mistake was made. It's a crappy position to be in, but it does happen.

I'd say if you are at 500 feet and know the parachute you have over your head won't save your life, then go ahead and fire the reserve. It might make things uglier, but it just might keep your parents from getting a sad visit from the local police. Back in the day we would advocate a canopy transfer in that situation, that is, fire the reserve and as it completes deployment then cut away the garbage over your head. That might also work, or it might make things worse.

I've seen all variations of what you are asking about over the past 30 years, and can't give you amy more concrete advice than try to avoid that situation, and when all else fails never give up...keep trying to live.

If you have a chance, try to hash this one out with an instructor you know and trust.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Wow you should feel so hardass now attacking a student, oh sorry didn't know you didn't have a first jump and noob questions starting up like everybody else, with 50 jumps you sure are a skygod already, watchout buddy karma is a bitch.

sure yeah, what you said. where is it exactly that you jump at again??? who are your instructors??? whats your name???

yeah right, didnt think so!!

some peoples kids!!!:)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

A friend of mine with 40+ jumps opened his DCM 280 at 5K ft. He said everything was fine until 1K when he noticed he was going down too fast. He checked up his canopy and found at least 4 broken inner lines.

He decided to land his canopy because had no time to break away but could not control it, had a very hard landing and was about to die. After 4 surgeries he will not be able to skydive for 1 year.

you see, the problem he had was not at 1k... it was at 5k. He screwed around for FOUR THOUSAND feet before finally becoming aware enough to realize he had a problem... one he should have dealt with thousands of feet prior.

This is why you look at your canopy, and pay attention to its shape and the tension/position of the lines before your decision altitude.

You're describing a really nasty situation that coulda/shoulda been avoided in the first place. But if things are that bad, go ahead and pull your reserve. When things get that grim the important thing is that you get creative and keep fighting "until the blood fills your goggles". No guarantees that it will work, but it might and you have to try.

Because the meek shall inherit the earth.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Are you a student?

Yes, I'm always learning.

Why do you ask?

If you have some point you would like to make, just be out with it.

(P.S. You could look at my profile info and find out immediately, without having to ask and await a reply.)

Smart ass!!!! :P

I was trying to ask Autoset the question, but apparently my posting skills are just slightly more evolved then a one armed retarded orangutan. B|

Autoset my honest question is that you shouldn't be on here posting these questions. You are either a student or you have yet to skydive. If you don't have a starting point of information about skydiving then none of this information about obscure scenarios is going to help.

Sit through a first jump course and listen to your instructors. It is the basic info that is going to keep you safe. Worry about the basics first, they are what keep you out of the preventable situation you describe above.

Go ask your instructors!!!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

[A friend of mine with 40+ jumps opened his DCM 280 at 5K ft. He said everything was fine until 1K when he noticed he was going down too fast. He checked up his canopy and found at least 4 broken inner lines.

Did you friend check the canopy and do a controllability check after opening, or did he only check it when "he noticed he was going down too fast"?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.