mattb

Skydivers could be denied health coverage

See the following link:
http://www.uspa.org/insurance.htm
"Applied to skydivers, the new rules do not allow a person to be excluded from his or her employer's group health plan due to skydiving activity. Ironically however, the rules would allow medical claims to be denied in the event of a skydiving injury. In a kind of government double-speak, a summary of the new rules states that "While a person cannot be excluded from a plan for engaging in certain recreational activities...a plan can nonetheless exclude benefits for injuries because they were sustained in connection with various recreational activities..." Unless the new rule is modified, USPA fears that it's members could face denied coverage after being injured while skydiving. "
The link has instructions on who to contact.

But I bet if we only participated in Scuba or motocross we would still be covered. :P
I know that my life insurance doesn't cover me if I have a skydive related fatality as well. If anyone in Canada knows of an insurance company that will provide life insurance to a skydiver please let me know.....I am still having no luck! :)

I dont know the range of Blue Cross/ Blue Shield across the world-LOL, but when broke my ankle back in 96, the emergency room at the hospital was waiting for me when I finally made it there. I had no choice but to tell them the truth. Anyhow, the never picked a bone about paying for it, I was surprised. Things may have changed but if not and they are available where you are you should check them out.
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Cyberskydive:
Why Southern Brother!! I don't have a deer stand, but let me tell you there's nothing worse than getting a bad piece of possum!! It's like taken a big chaw of tacca and accidently swallowing!! Whew, you talk about a tummy ache!! Now, Bar-B-Q possum is the best!!
Divadiver :S

I had to take my GF to Kaiser Hospital after she biffed it good. She told them that she fell down a flight of stairs. Uh huh, broken finger, sprained wrist and ankles. They kept saying to her, "A flight of stairs? Yeah sure!!". Funny part was she was wearing one of her Skydiving T-shirts

Its a good idea to check your insurance policies, even without this new regulation. Some policies have a "dangerous sports" exclusion. Getting injured is not something any of us like to think about, but it can happen. And depending on the circumstances, lying about how the injury happened is not always an option.
I figure my broken ankle set my HMO back about $30,000. 2 surgeries, 1 overnight hospital stay, doctors visits, physical therapy, Xrays etc. Without insurance, I don't know what I would have done.

When I messed up my shoulder, I wasn't going to advertise how it happened, but after a doctor mix up with my HMO, I ended up on the phone with them them trying to clear it up. Anyway, then they wanted to know why I had to see a doctor so soon, then they wanted to know how the injury happened. I didn't think fast enough, and ended up 'fessing up to the truth. The woman at the HMO actually said, "Cool! I wanna do that sometime!"
Anyway, they covered it, for which I am extremely grateful, since I had to go to physical therapy 3x a week for several weeks...
Lucky, lucky, lucky.
Blues,
zelda

I sent out my letters except for the IRS. There is no way I want any contact with them. I also sent one out to President Bush with comments added about his dad jumping. I am planning on hitting up my Senator and Congressman. Send out those letters - it may be you someday who needs it.

Hey ADRNALN, don't know why you're afraid of us IRS agents. We'll be contacting you soon! Thanks for the post! HAHA! In all seriousness folks this could affect our whole sport. Can you imagine all the potential skydivers out there who may never take that first tandem/AFF jump if they know they won't be covered by their health insurance if they so much as sprain an ankle! I myself am scared to the bank trying to imagine what getting hurt skydiving and not being covered would to do my family and our finances! Contact your Representatives and Sentators on this one! Our future may well depend on it.

If anyone in Canada knows of an insurance company that will provide life insurance to a skydiver please let me know.

Tee, I am covered, but only because my policy was in effect prior to me starting skydiving. My policy is with Investors Group, but I'd have to dig around in some burried documents to find out who the insurer is...
Frank

If I read this right, that means if I'm cruising down the highway on my motorcycle, and get run over by a car.. I could be denied my coverages? Same if I was scuba diving, ATVing, or having wild and crazy sex? .... better get that trapeez out of my bedroom....

Now Now Phorty!!! I am not afraid of IRS agents. Its that I know they are so busy tracking down all the bad people who cheat on their taxes and I would not want to bother them while they are so busy doing good for the country. Are you buying this?

this is a bad subject. i hope to god my insurance covers sports related injuries. the only good thing about getting hurt at my home dz would be that i wouldnt get charged for the ambulance ride. we "misplace" squad members trip tickets if they need to go to the hospital. so at least thats a thousand or so less if i ever do get hurt. hope not.
froggie