denaga

LOW

Lowest pull I've ever done is 3500, but I'm new. But to tell you the truth, I have absolutely 0 interest in pulling below 3000. I want time to deal with a mal if I have one.
*But* lowest pull I've heard of is ~800 feet. But that's just rumor. The lowest pull I've seen on a ProTrack is ~1700. Both good ways to get grounded at best, dead at worst.
But, hey, it's your life. Then again, it is our sport.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hmmm...the lowest I pulled was about 1100'- 1200' or so (looked at alti at about 1400-1500', freaked and pulled), but not on purpose and I definately don't brag about it. I consider it in the top 10 stupid moves of all time for me.
Pammi

in between two rows of planes on the oppisite side of the airport from the dz?

Close. In between a bunch of scrub bushes two fields over from the DZ. I also came in crosswind and was hauling ass when I flared. I literally thought "This is gonna hurt." right before I set down. Another guy from the same load landed one field over from me.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

i wanna add to this question : how many of you landing off the dz because of a low opening?

Well, the ProTrack sez I was in the saddle at 1600, mainly due to the fact that I was in a freefall kiss at breakoff alt. I think I pulled at 2500 (2nd audible warning) but with the snivels of a new canopy I finally got in the harness late. A quick check of my location revealed that we were waaaaaaaaaay off fromt the dz. I picked a vacant lot behind some houses and made a great approach while barking at the dogs in the adjacent homes. The location was due to a bad spot/inexp. pilot, rather than a low pull. Some kids walked up to us and asked if we were lost and couldn't find the airport. Later, a truck from the dz got us, sparing a 1.5 mile walk.B| BTW, it was a 74 second freefall....

Well, I didn't land off the DZ because it's so huge. I did, however, plan on it. The trees in between me and the DZ looked aweful close so I was looking around for a place to land on the other side when I heard the DZO yelling at me over the radio, directing me back. I was sure I wasn't going to make it over them and remember thinking "gosh this is gonna hurt" while contemplating what they taught us about covering our faces if you're gonna land in a tree but followed his directions cuz he's bada$$. I knew he'd land me safely if I just listened, and he did, just on the other side of them. Was definately not an experience I want to repeat!
Pammi

I personally like to pull around 3,500 or 4000 when I am solo. I am jumping with other people, I generally pull just under 3000. As long as I am saddled close to 2000, I am happy. I think the lowest I have pulled is around 2000, which is illegal for me since I still just have an A license. Too low for me.
Pull high, the scenery's usually great. Have some time to fly your canopy.

Main: 1500
reserve: 1000
non skydive: 250-280 (not at terminal)
I felt dumb about the main pull because I personally don't think you should ever take a main under 2000'. There is too much that can go terribly wrong ie baglock, two out due to cypres fire, streamer etc. Not to mention most people do not look highly on it at all. If you want to pull that low don't do it at the dz and do it with a mesh slider :)

I really hate to dignify this thread with a response but I feel compelled to protect our sport.
First the pull altitudes suggested came after hundreds of thousands of jumps. and years and years of experience. This is a great sport and safety is the most important aspect. All the experience in the world won't save you if you pull low and have a serious malfunction, which can and will happen to you one day. Everytime someone is killed in this sport it requires an investigation, and our rights to skydive are scrutinized all over again. Low pulls gain you nothing, if you want more FF time go higher. Spend time learning to fly your canopy it can be quite fun. You don't have to prove how brave you are you already jump out of airplanes BUT PLEASE PROVE HOW SMART YOU ARE PULL AT A SAFE ALTITUDE. If not at least wear a jump suit then the ground crew only has to hold the arms, legs and neck closed to clean up the mess. Well, sorry folks had to get that off my chest.

Hey now, don't blame a pilot for a bad spot.....you should look before you leap....right??
And as for pulling low, I've seen some of the consequences...like not being able to cut away cause your low and now you have to land a mal!!! Not a pretty picture!!

I really hate to dignify this thread with a response but I feel compelled to protect our sport.

With the exception of the original poster, I don't think any of us disagree with you Cloud9. As I said in my post, it's definately not a moment I'm proud of and it nearly knocked me out of the sport completely because I was so afraid of my own stupidity. I would never do it on purpose. I HAVE met people who do, though...I just choose to not be one of them, even when I gain more experience. I have a life, husband, children, etc, etc, to consider. No need to prove my Mom (and some other whuffo's) right by hurting myself, or even worse, killing myself and making the sport look bad.
Pammi

Hey now, don't blame a pilot for a bad spot.....you should look before you leap....right??

Skybaby,
You're right... and I'm a pilot, too. :)BTW, I don't think low pulls are cool. I've experienced a spinning mal at normal pull altitude and had to cutaway. I didn't have a ProTrack at the time so I have no idea what alt it was when I cutaway. My settings are at 4, 2.5 and 1.8. I figure it was less than 2 cuz the ground was really BIG. Lower than that may have caused unforseen difficulties.... I also don't want 2 out and have heard from a friend that lost altitude awareness. Low pull, main inflation, Cypres fires....
Peace, out.

My lowest pull was 1500.. Pro-Track showed my opening altitude as 900 - and it normally shows 500-600 below my actual opening altitude due to the time it takes to decelerate to the speed at which it knows you are open.. I was in the saddle unstowing toggles at 800.. After an 8 way zoo dive, we were supposed to break at 4000.. We missed our break altitude by a few hundred feet.. We broke around 3600-3700. Ok, no big deal.. As I was tracking away, I rolled over on my back to check the air above me.. This was about 2.7 - I planned to pull at 2.5.. There's this bonehead flying about 20ft above me, tracking the same way, just looking at me.. I turn, he turns.. I wave off(still on my back), he looks at his altimeter(1.8 or 1.9), gets this funny look on his face, and immediately pulls.. I roll back over and pull immediately.. Landed about 10 feet from the center of the peas.. B| Thank god I didn't have an AAD in that rig - one less thing to worry about going wrong..
When I saw the guy on the ground, I was pissed.. He said he was confused, and just trying to figure out what I was doing below him.. He claims he didn't realize he turned when I did - says it must have been a subconscious thing.. He was totally unaware of his altitude the whole time.. His canopy snivels quite a bit(Stilleto), and he was in the saddle around 700ft. Why his CYPRES didn't fire I don't know.. He was definitely in the territory..
Mike

if he was above you ,he was doing a better track than you were,sorry,sounnds like you're the bonehead. if i ever see anyone above me after tracking,i know i have to improve my track.think about this!
des

Think about this.....The low person has the right of way! This applies to freefall and under canopy. When tracking off, the last place I want to be is over anyone. It also sounded like he was (the high man) going to track for the dirt. Go figure!
Craig

Sounds to me like one of us has some sort of dramatic death wish... I would worry about being on a plane with this guy, but ours is a sport that tends to weed out those individuals who are not conscerned with their own well being. I just hope no one else gets injured while Darwinian Theory plays it's course.
-T1
C-30757