denaga

LOW

Right after AFF, when I was starting to do 2 & 3-ways, my JM told me that pretty much everyone loses altitude awareness at some point, that everyone gets a wake-up call. He said that hopefully it's only that you think you're at 5grand when you're actually at 4, or something like that, where there's enough time to react to the changed situation.
Seems like everything he tells me comes true, cause sure enough on one of my early 2-ways with a buddy, we broke off at about the right alititude, but I was soon busy tracking, next thing I know I flare out and I see 3000 on my alti. I was planning on *opening* no later than 3500. Big oh shit on my part, & scared the crap out of my friend who saw me still in freefall while he was already under canopy. He said he was just thinking "pull darlin'! pull!!" and he was so relieved when I finally opened. I hate that I made him worry like that! I screwed up my landing, too, because I did a really good job of painting myself into a corner with my pattern, and almost impaled myself on a fence. Learned lots on that jump.
So, my lowest pull was around 2500' (probably fully open by 2000'). I typically open at 3500', sometimes higher if I'm on a solo & want more canopy time.
Blues Skies, Safe Landings,
Karen

Grogs,
Yea, that non-terminal at 1800 is what my boyfriend said too....he he he. I understand that but all the same, it's still low enough to make me nervous as hell knowing my b/f is doing that but I would never stop him from making his own decisions b/c I trust his judgement. He's a smart guy.
Frank and Craig,
I didn't mean I'm okay with them making that choice but what I was saying was, there's not a damn thing I can do about it but pray for them. I agree, those who make bad decisions, do so at the expense of the sport. Unfortunately, there are those who would rather not consider the safety of others when they're thinking about doing things they find amusing.
Zennie,
I see your point about the Cypress firing when the main is out. Just the more reason, why I believe, there's no reason to pull that low. Most Cypress' don't fire until about 800 feet to my knowledge but they all vary.
I also agree with you 100% about being yourself, who you are, and stating your opinions. That was my point exactly!:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

wellllllll, ok so i've had a low pull too. i'm at the couch freaks boogie with all of 60 odd jumps. drunkenly i had agreed to a first load three-way freefly the night before. well, a "friend" manifested me without awakening me. in my dreams i hear 10 minute call for otter load 1. i say fuck those people and continute to snooze in my tent. well, about four minutes later my "friend" stops by my tent to let me know that i am on said load. in very hungover condition i stumble out of the tent, find some sandles and my rig (forgetting to turn on the cypress - luckily as it turns out) and head toward the main tent. i am putting on my rig as i get on the plane, failing to get a gear check, and promptly take a nap to altitude. at 13grand we pile out, do our thing and break. now, i heard my first dytter warning, but not my second. i'm waiting for my 3grand alarm and it doesn't come. meanwhile, the shadows of the building are starting to move with my track. i get groundrush and pitch..... in a track.....just as i hear 1500 go abeeping by. needless to say, i saddle into line twists and as my hands catch my curling risers i see 1000 on my altimeter. luckily i was able to kcik the twists out of that docile canopy and it just so happened that i had benefitted from my best spot of the boogie, landing right next to the tent that by all rights i should have still been in. if my cypress had been on.... if i hadn't pitched when i did....
i had no business in the air and am lucky to be alive to share this chanced tale. low pulls are dangerous and not for newbies. i got very lucky . . . . .
peatmoss

Before I started flying jumpers and jumping near Chicago in 1979, there were several local jumpers that occasionally engaged in low pull contests with round reserves.
The lowest "reported opening" was one hundred feet, with a six second canopy ride!
Dave Brownell

Been reading this thread with quite a lot of interest, but i still stick by my original post, and many people seem to follow the same line of thought.
The smallest canopy i have jumped was 250, and i weigh about 170lb, so i estimate it must have been.... at least 1.2 wing loading, and yet it's still so much fun!
Why risk killing yourself for another few seconds of freefall, when u can pull a bit higher, have a lotta fun with ur canopy, and live to skydive once more?
Just my thoughts.
Ed

Actually, if you weigh 170, you're probably going out the door at close to 200lbs, so the wing loading would be around .8 (200 lbs/250 sq ft). Did you ask Carrie for advice on how to compute your wing loading? :P Sorry, I just couldn't let that one slip by.
As for the canopy stuff, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been having a lot of fun with my canopy lately. I've found out how much fun it can be to crank a toggle all the way so that I'm turning so fast my feet tingle, or stall my canopy out and let it reinflate. All up high of course.
Edited by Grogs on 3/29/01 05:38 AM.