Albatross

What to buy first?

Buy the absolute best helmet you can afford. Rather get a cheaper jumpsuit (especially considering you WILL be getting it very dirty/used very soon) and buy a good helmet. I bought a bonehead and can highly recommend it. Very comfortable and gives good protection.
/s
[drop till you party!]

A jump suit that fits is essential if you are planning to do any RW. Decide on the helmet once you decide what type of skydiving you will be doing- belly or freeflying. Most full face helmets aren't good for head down skydiving, they just don't fit tight enough. And the audibles are great, but not essential.
Just my .02!

metal inserts?
A frap hat is a soft leather hat with padded 'ribs' on top. It provides ample protection against butterfly strikes but not much else.
Geoff

Sorry, i'm only a student so i've always worn the beefy hard hats, they just looked like they had metal inserts :)Ed

Hi there,
So... The shopping listB|.
First off... don't get into the "buy the best", & unless you have "LODSA-MONEY" look at second-hand stuff. Don't be proud, this is the kit you'll use for the next year or so, while you take (&give) the hard docks, rough landings & all the other stuff that makes the "shiny things" cease to be so:S.
So... ALtimeter & helmet. Get a Sapphire Alti or similar ($70-80) & a Protec Helmet ($60) & a set of goggles ($15). Hold off on the "Competition super-swooper RW jumpsuit" ($300+) until you know how your fall rate has settled. get a cheap jumpsuit, even use a one piece coverall in the meantime.
This leaves you with more money & more money = MORE JUMPS:o. More jumps means more experience sooner. Before long you will be past the stage where you need to ask what you need, you'll know...
Mike D10270.
PS... One thing that you can't save on... A Cypres.

I already have an ALTI III and goggles. I also have a protec helmet. I just bought a J3 Spectre 170 and a PD160R (I am thinking of trading up to a Dash M 181). I have just completed my Skydive U basic Body flight course (20 coached jumps) and am going to pass 50 jumps this weekend. I have the basics covered but am looking to complete the set.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

Albatross,
Ok. Sounds like ya got a fair start with the equipment.. Now, the jumpsuit...go to an established gear store..(I use SkyKat at Raiford) and have them measure you...Tony Suits and Jumpsuits (I don't know about the rest of them) both can computer generate a suit for you that will establish your fall rate by the measurements and your height and weight...My fall rate without a suit (belly) is 143 mph...no questions were asked about my fall rate...the computer did it all and my fall rate with all three suits I own is 109 mph...and the computer did it all...So I am satisfied with both companies...They did an outstanding job and the suits are all really good looking, too...especially my Tony Suit...just my $.02...
Triple F

I got measured at Tony suits in FL. I told them I live up North so allow extra slack for wearing sweats underneath. The woman measuring me said 'fine' and wrote 'winter cut' on the form
When I finally received the RW suit, it was a very snug fit . Not tight enough to send it back, but, still, very snug around the chest shoulders and arms. The seams look like they're straining just a bit. Could have something to do with me working out at the gym between the time I ordered it and when I received it (the waist area has slack in it), but I've talked to other men who got Tony RW suits & they noticed the same thing: Tightness around the chest & shoulders. She (the woman at Tony suits who measured me) really didn't leave any leeway for wearing warm clothes underneath. Anyone else have this problem with Tony suits?
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

I have 2 tony suits for rw custom ordered, and I've never had a problem. Both fit perfectly when I got them, and I have sent both in for minor repairs, (both times I would consider normal wear and tear, not a defect in the suit)and found the service to be really good. I also have a sit suit and patch pants that I bought "off the rack" made by Tony, and I'm happy with those too.
I would call over there and explain the problem. Could be you "buffed up" a bit between getting measured and getting the suit, or it could be they goofed up. I'm sure they will work with you either way.