huffermoose

girlfriends!!!

when you see a girl you really fancy (or a boy for the girls depend what flicks your switch) do you think exactly the same as guys do and say to yourself ( i wonder if i can talk her in to skydiving??)

Nope. I don't imagine any chick I met would expect me to become a shoe shopping fiend just because we're dating, so I don't really expect any woman I'm with to pick up on my hobbies.
I'd rather date an interesting girl than a girl that would just go along with my interests.

Hmmmm.
Disclaimer: I do like this guy socially.
To tell you the truth, he and I were friends on the ground. He is one of those sky gods really serious about 4 way and 8 way and most regulars were not good enough for him. I freefly now anyway so I don't care if skygods are snooty, I'm snooty right back.
However for a cute girl....he might make time...ha ha...as most males do. I would think there are probably quite a few skygods at Deland.
I wish you luck it is hard to get really good people to jump with you when you're a newbie. I was lucky enough to become friends with one of my instructors who sort of took me under his wing and made jumps with me once in a while.
bloo skies
ramon

It IS hard to find people to jump with, not only when you are new, but when you are at a new DZ too.
Maybe if none of his friends are around, and if I pay for his jump ticket, wear a tight t-shirt, mention my good friend Ramon ;), and I catch him in a really weak moment, he'll jump with me! :D
Maybe you had better just let me know when you are coming to FL. That is, if you won't be too snooty!
Andrea

I'm only snooty to RW skygods (the ones that never organize or participate with the newbies, they never get beer from me). ;)
Unfortunately I still have to kiss the Freefly skygods butts to get a little face time...but not too much longer (my buddies and I are improving B|).
fly free.
ramon

ramon,
yes, i was at the boogie this past weekend... i had my hair all in tiny braids...uh...otherwise you can look at my profile and it has my pic on it...i wore an adidas cap, red windpants and an eskimo joe's t-shirt all saturday night for the party. i am friends with just about everyone there...i like to hang out with greg and karen, perry, john, billy and some others... i wondered about you that day, if you were there or not...
sis
"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell

well, my husband and I got married last year and tried the Indoor wind tunnel thing and watched a cool movie called point break on our honeymoon. That was in august... we did our first tandem together in october with a bit of hestitancy on my part. anyhow we have talked about it and we are planning on getting our skydiving license this summer/fall. I think its cool to share something with my best friend. Plus, he is pretty excited about it and very persistent. thats all!
skybird
Laura
Fly like a Wren

That's cool Laura! That's what Merrick and I did, basically. Started dating, topic came up of how I wanted to do a skydive and he said how he'd always wanted to try it also. So we did! We've been diving ever since, and got married last year. You'll love doing it with him! You have someone to listen to you talk about it :) Be patient too...it may be a little while before you can actually jump together (hopefully Merrick and I will be able to next weekend...it took me longer to 'get it' then it did for him!). It's wonderful tho!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

cool pammi
where ya from? not sure if I mention my husband's name... mountain man. He is on here pretty often. have you and your husband got your own rigs? we talked about getting them next year. oh and were you ever afraid of the risk of skydiving. cya
Laura
Fly like a Wren

Hey thanks Mountain..missed this post!!
Glad to see you joining us Laura! Can't let hubby have all the fun :) I tend to more talking on here then Merrick, but only cuz I'm a motormouth by nature anyway...plus, I have a really boring job so spend way too much time on here during the day when I should be working :)Yeah, we got our own rigs...off of the auctions here actually! We got some tremendous deals...Merrick got Diver123's who posts here sometimes (we didn't make the connection til later tho) last fall, then he bought me my rig for Valentine's day this year! It's kinda catch-22...jumps are way cheaper, but now we're paying off plastic too. Oh well! :D
I definately have thought about the risks involved. A lot actually. Less so now then when I first started. I have two kids, so I worried a lot about the 'selfishness' of doing this knowing they'd lose their mother if something bad happened and almost quit after a bad jump. I also know that if something happened to Merrick it'd be devestating. Unfortunately it's been him who's had to deal with my screw-ups so far!! LOL! Poor guy. But the longer I do it the more comfortable I am with it, and I will always be as careful as I can be because I have too much to lose. After seeing all the things that can happen to someone in day-to-day life no matter how careful they are, I decided I can't sit around in a padded room 'just in case', and I wouldn't be setting a very good example for my kids, or be a very happy person for them, either if I did. My Mom nearly died last year out of the blue from a stroke that tore her arteries, my brother nearly killed himself just a couple weeks ago on a four-wheeler, I've rolled my vehicle a few years back, etc, etc.... Then you look at people like the gentleman who nearly bounced on the other thread, Mike. It confirms my beliefs that I'll go when He's good and ready for me, regardless. I'm not going to push the issue and be foolish, but not going to think about it too much either and not live life as fully as I can :)
Sorry, this got rather lengthy...I've just done lots and lots of soul-searching on this topic and FINALLY feel totally comfortable with my decision. It's made the whole thing much more fun. So has getting off student-status and finally getting the hang of things. I just thought it was fun before...it's kick a** now! If you do AFF and find it's not as easy as you expected, don't give up too easily! It'll get better! One friend of mine that jumps at the same DZ said her student progression was a 'course in stress management'. It can be frustrating, but it's still skydiving!!
Good luck to you! Hope you keep hanging out with us on the threads!!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

Let me see, advice time..... The best advice I can give you two, Brandon & Laura, is don't make your AFF course a competition! Pam & I started assuming that we would both sail through our IAD progression together, at the same pace. Well, one bridal wrap around the arm & a low-pull and she found herself a little behind me. She got a little frustrated a few times seeing me get to do all this new 'exciting' stuff, while she was doing clear-n-pulls, yet all she had to do was be patient & she'd get to do it as well! Just make sure you understand before you start that it's NOT a competition.... Brandon, Laura may sail past you why you have 5 L4 repeats... Laura, he may do the same. It doesn't matter as long as you both stick with it. The most satisfying part of it all is that you know you will one day get to jump with each other & that makes it that much more special! Pam & I were supposed to FINALLY get to do that this weekend, but looks like weather is gonna' put a stop to that, I think I was more excited to do that than anything else I've got to do thus far. Just promise each other before you start that you won't compete with each other, and if one of you finds yourself behind the other, relax..... and arch!
I think one of the most effective motivational quotes that I've ever heard was a smart-assed comment from a low-timer at our DZ, he said, *whiney sarcastic voice* "Ahhhh... so you have to make another skydive!"
Ain't it true.... even a bad day skydiving (that you don't get hurt at that is) is better than a good day doing anything else!
"Grab the grass, it's the bounce that kills!"
Merrick

don't make your AFF course a competition!

Thanks, Merrick! That is excellent advice! We are both competative people, so that is going to be something to keep in mind. Hopefully, since we both are jumping, it won't be a problem:)

Brandon, Laura may sail past you why you have 5 L4 repeats

HEY!! Don't jinx me!:)blue skys to all!
NEW AND IMPROVED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

hi I'm back... :) thanks for the reply pammi. helps put things in perspective. brandon calls me a bit of a pessimist(sp?)... so considering this whole sport is a BIG step for me. But at least I have someone to go through it with me and help. that is if he can keep up (j/k.. hunny)
yeah merrick... I am really looking forward to jumping with brandon. thats going to be awesome. how long have you and merrick been jumping? well, had an earache and cold all week and tired so time for a nap... talk to you guys later!
Laura
Fly like a Wren

Yeah, thanks 'speedy!'
I know I'm pretty lucky, but sometimes I think that Pam may have gotten the short end of the deal! lol
Seriously, it truly is amazing to be able to share something so incredible with such an amazing woman.... a woman that I can happily call my 'wife!' :)"Grab the grass, it's the bounce that kills!"
Merrick

"we can swing through OK and make a 4-way couples dz.com jump!"

ROFL - yeah, that'd definitely be cool! Of course, most of the 4-ways I've been in so far usually ended up with all four of us chasing each other around the sky.... Which is great fun too! lol
"Grab the grass, it's the bounce that kills!"
Merrick