Keys

Lift Price

Cross Keys price varies according to your alti. a 3 K hop n pop is 10 bucks. regular altitude is 13.5 (usually 14.5 on sunset loads) and that is 16.50 on FrankenOtter, which can get 23 jumpers to altitude in 12 minutes ( I timed him today!!!)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Sis (going down South, oh yes I am!!)

Yo, Sis. You're already in the South!
Hope the weather cooperates for your visit. Those bastards at the weather center have changed the forecast for this weekend. They're trying to screw me out of my 100th jump and I won't have it!

Why does it cost more for A-licensees? Seems like a scam unless I am unaware of something different in Canada.

First of all, it's the only dz I've jumped at, so I don't know what others charge here in Canada. No, 'Sis, I don't feel I'm gettin' boned 'cause the DZO has to eat and pay for the fuel for the leased planes. This is a small DZ!!! I'd rather pay the $37 than not jump at all. Everyone knows there's not much profit in operating a DZ. As for why it costs an A licenced skydiver more that a B/C/D jumper, it's probably because we get more help/coaching/babsitting. Remember, though - that $37 CAN is about $24 US. With gear rental, it would be $55 CAN, but pretty much everyone (except the students) has their own gear here.

Yeah, just about the only way to make a small fortune in skydiving is to start with a large one.

Well this brings up the age old question: Do we want lots of newbies or not? On one hand, the more people we can get to come out and start jumping, the bigger the DZ can get, and we can get a bigger plane, and jumps might get cheaper -- but on the other hand, UNTIL we get a bigger plane, it would more jumpers waiting around, etc... personally, I'm for getting more people out to jump!!! My city has a population of around 300,000 ... and there are probably 30 or so of us who are "regulars"... I think there about 100 of us who are licenced (but I could be WAYYYYY off on that #) ... either way, I guess skydiving isn't for everyone!!!

Joolee
£16 = $22,70
And considering how much more heavily taxed fuel is here than in the states, we have no reason to complain. We owe a big thank you to all the UK dropzones because they do EVERYTHING possible to keep Jump Tickets reasonably priced for us. This is one of the reasons why tandems are very expensive here (approx. £200 at most UK dropzones), if it wasn't for them we probably would be paying $28 per jump ticket.
Now about the weather...;)
/s

Hi Joolee
I jump at Langar, in fact I'll be heading up there in an hour or two. About the prices abroad, I'll be jumping at Skydive Naples the end of June : $13 to '13 000 - nothing wrong with that!!!:)The weather has been OK (touch wood) and I've managed to get *some* jumps in every weekend for the last 4 weeks running.
Where do you jump?
/s

We're not guarenteed blue skies either...

I was starting to think I'd never get to do AFF when I was at Cross Keys; every time I made it down there or at least had time and transportation (both rare for me) the winds were kicking too high. Then when I came to SC I was shocked to find out that nearly every weekend is blue skies and low wind!! WOOHOO! Of course, I have yet to spend a day at the DZ during our lovely 100% humidity, 100 degree days of summer, so I'm sure it will even out. But still... thank God for less wind!!
PS No offense to the X-Keys crowd, as soon as I get back up there I wouldn't think of jumping anywhere else.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Hi again Skreamer,
I jump at Strathallan - wish it was open everyday.... :S
The weather last week was actually gorgeous and should be this weekend as well...can't wait for summer this year. Any plans to go to the Scottish Nationals?
Joolee

Do you jump at skydive illinois dude?

No, I'm up jump in WI but we lease the plane from Morris and I think it's from the guy who owns Skydive Illinois. I'm not totally sure, I've only been to Chicagoland and Skydive Chicago.

Don't think I can toss my caber far enought yet!!!
(but I do practice a lot ;))
Ooooooooh, you meant SKYDIVING nationals!!!
:$
Nope, somehow I don't think that the world of skydiving is ready for my spastic RW solos yet, and unless solo RWs are an event, I won't be able to participate. Unless you mean accuracy, then I can be relied on to hit the biggest puddle or cow patty every time, hee hee.
But if you have an event for drunken high-jinks and talking absolute cod-swiddle I believe I will stand a good chance for the gold (I am v. well trained in that event).
/s

Skreamer...I think you misunderstood my question about the Nationals,
I've only got 73 jumps, and still need to successfully complete a 4-point 3-way and a 4-point 4-way to get my FS1! The Scottish Nationals are fun because there are loads of people about, and non-competitors are convenient spare parts to fill slots on lifts. I'm hoping that there will be some people there who just want to do some fun jumps! That's what i'll be doing anyway.
Joolee :D
p.s How many jumps do you have?

I only have 50 jumps and don't even have my packing certificate yet (how embarassing is that!!!). I had jumped all over the place (South Africa, California, Germany), but now I am settling in nicely at Langar and hopefully I'll get some help getting my packing certificate soon (I'm a little lazy).
/s

It's alright for some - here in the UK we pay around £17.00 to 13k - some DZs charge £18.50 to 10k and others £16.00 to 14k, but then no body loves us, our government taxes us to death and unleaded petrol (gas) is £4.00 a gallon!

Hi,
I was always really lazy where packing's concerned...didn't get my packing certificate till January, and i've been jumping for two years. Now i'm off on a bit of a spurt so that i can afford to jump - Got cleared for packing static line kit, and pro-packing at the weekend...took £50 off my jump bill :P
I've only jumped at Empuriabrava and Strathallan so far...would quite like to jump down South though - should try out some dropzones nearer home (Isle of Wight).
What time are you off to Langar?
Have a good weekend if I don't speak to you before then,
Joolee

Hello adamh,
Are you another skydiver who jumps at Langar? There are a lot of them about the forum that's for sure. I don't think you noticed but me and Skreamer bashed out the discussion about UK jump prices compared with abroad - don't they realise why so many Brits go to US dropzones for their holidays! :D
Joolee

The isle of wight ???????
hey thats where i'm from but i jump at langar but at present am on an oil rig in west africa (if that figures) i live in cowes (not the mooing kind the rest of you r thinking) if i'm home and i'm not elswhere i'll go up to scotland and jump for the nationals what r the dates?????
c u Moooooooooooose

The isle of wight ???????
hey thats where i'm from but i jump at langar but at present am on an oil rig in west africa (if that figures) i live in cowes (not the mooing kind the rest of you r thinking) if i'm home and i'm not elswhere i'll go up to scotland and jump for the nationals what r the dates?????

The dates of the Scottish Nationals are 26th-28th May. I'm from Lake on the IOW - small world isn't it? :)Let me know if you're able to go to the Nationals and we can talk about the joys of Island life :S
Joolee

What's this "packing certificate" the Brits keep talking about? Is that like becoming a rigger (ie, do you need to know how to pack a reserve), or is it just something that qualifies you to pack your own main parachute?

Hi Speedracer & Freaksister,

In the UK it is necessary to obtain a packing certificate before you can pack any parachute without supervision. The certificate says that you are capable of joining a main to the container, packing the main and carrying out basic checks on the whole set up. You have to get signed off for each individual canopy and container you learn to pack before doing it without supervision, and they are especially stringent with student kit - there is a label with your name, the date, and your signature for each of the checks (ie. breaks lines are separate from main lines, FXC/Cypres is on etc etc). This does not clear you for packing reserves - there is a special course you have to go on to learn that.
Does that answer your question? :)Joolee